Coffee Filters

Shai

Could someone tell me the benefits of using a coffee filter over my flash? ie What situations would you use this technique? I've heard rumors about it LoL

Thank you!
Shai

Guest gauchogirl
You use them when you have the built-in flash that you can't aim. Flash is usually too hash so the coffee filters "take the edge off" when you have no other way to alter how harsh the light is. When you have a purchased (ie: more professional flash that you attach via a hot shoe) you can aim it other ways besides straight ahead and bounce it off of the ceiling or other objects.) Without being able to change the direction of your flash, the filter helps, well, filter, it...LOL.
HTH! tonya

Guest gauchogirl
Yep all three of those work great for both things, same reason, the flash isn't so direct. Another great, but funny, way is to tape the bowl part of a plastic spoon over the flash.
t

I'll have to get a plastic spoon :) Already have people looking at me oddly with the filter (ripped into a small piece LoL) taped to my camera. I just tell them it's the lastest attatchment :)

I bought the last two white posterboard in the shopette yesterday, too! Going to play about with that and muslin ... if I can keep the kids inside long enough LoL

Shai

• 3 weeks later...
The coffee filter has been used for a long time that way believe it or not. My grandfather was always taking photographs, and I thought he had was a bit senile when I saw him using a coffee filter over the flash of his camera, until I asked him one day about it. I've taken better photographs since I ask and started using a coffe filter. Another neat thing to do is to tape different colored sullifane over the actual lens itself. I got that from him also. I think using lighter colors works better than darker colors, but it sure does make for some neat photos.

Guest DeeZee
sheesh, what a GREAT idea! I was trying to come up with something to do this and couldn't figure it out (was looking for something plastic!) What a great easy technique!

Guest esmom98
I can just imagine the conversations...
"Dear, you have something stuck to your camera!"
"Oh, no, that's a coffee filter. It belongs there."
{stunned look}

All kidding aside, I will have to try this.

LoL Juliana - It's happened! LoL

Alison - Isn't it a great tip? I was really surprised when I first heard about it! BTW, I love YOUR A!! LoL That soudns so wrong ... gotta go now ... lol

Dee - I have a child looking for a plastic spoon right now! LoL

Shai

[quote name='Shai' date='Apr 17 2005, 05:09 PM']I'll have to get a plastic spoon :) Already have people looking at me oddly with the filter (ripped into a small piece LoL) taped to my camera.  I just tell them it's the lastest attatchment :)

I bought the last two white posterboard in the shopette yesterday, too!  Going to play about with that and muslin ... if I can keep the kids inside long enough LoL

Shai
[right][post="8024"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I SO FORGOT ABOUT doing this ... *shameshameshaishai*!

Archived