Okay, ultimately I've decided that beveling looks close enough to embossing for me. I tried the layer copying and was good up until using my selection tool - what is that exactly? Is it just "choosing" the layers or is it a tool in the set? I still don't get why the text path would only offer orange as the color, but maybe I'll stumble across a solution later - thanks everyone!
You can change the color of embossed text in PSE 5.0 by doing the following:
1. Select your text layer
2. Click the adjustment layer icon (black/white circle thingy)
3. Select "solid color" from the pop-up list
4. Choose the color you want your text to be.
5. Hang on and don't freak out because you can't see your text anymore! <smile>
6. Choose the OVERLAY mode from the blending mode options. Only your embossed and colored text will remain.
Okay, I got as far as step 6 and I can't find where to choose OVERLAT mode or blending mode. Help please.