Keeping Track Of Designer

AKrubygal

Another newbie question......I surely appreciate all the freebies out there as well as the kits and products I buy. I'm also sensitive to giving credit where credit is due......how do you keep track of who designed something or who shared the freebie you downloaded?? I'm already seeing that this is a job in itself! Any suggestions??

--rubygal

yup.. first 3 letters are the designers name ie abr is angie brings... the second part of the file name is the collection, ie sweetwords.

Freebies start with CFR (customer Freebie) then the 3 letters for the creators name ie ANU angela nussbaum

hope that helps

angela

In addition to what the others have said, while you are actually making a layout, you need to either keep paper and pen handy and write things down as you use them or if you are using PS or PSE you can put them in the Meta data under File>File Info. I used to use the paper and pen method, then started keeping them in Evernote, but now use the Meta data method.

I can't believe that I "know" all these fabulous people who made these products. The naming method has really made me learn who made what. I usually can't recall the exact name of the collection that I might be searching for but I can always remember who the designer was. Those initials help me to hone right in on what I am looking for. If you stick around here long enough you will be able to say who made what as well!

Most sites I visited (before I became totally devoted to Scrapgirls) don't have such a standardized labeling system. A kit I got from another site BSG (before Scrapgirls) named the zipped kit, but individual files were "blue paper, green ribbon...." Took me ages to figure out where they came from.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed...ScrapGirls definately has THE BEST naming convention for kits etc! Other sites...well...it's all over the board...some good...some not-so-good! My advice:

Items used in a layout - Add a layer to your stack of layers and use it to record the kit/designer, font, photographer (if applicable) info. I just create a large text box using an easy to read font...such as Arial 12pt...and put this layer at the top of the stack in the layers palette. While I'm designing I 'hide' this layer so it isn't in my way and I only 'unhide' it when I need to know the info for posting (and maybe someday for publishing...should I decide to get brave!) and when I'm adding another note to it.

Items downloaded - I have a folder for each website and in that folder I keep two folders; one for purchased kits and one for freebies. Inside the purchased kits folder I keep all my purchases in folders specific to the date I made the purchase (for some weird reason my brain remembers kits by that particular bit of information...I know...I doesn't make any sense, but that's my crazy brain! gotta live with it I guess...so...). In the freebies I just always make sure to unzip the files into a named folder so they all stay together with the TOU document.

Your program will have a tool to allow you to view multiple kit elements based on 'tags' ... and if it doesn't you might want to try something like Picassa...or I hear ACDsee is pretty good too. I use Photoshop, so the Bridge (or File Browser in older versions) works great for me!

...that's how my 'desk' looks! There are as many ways to organize your digital files as there are ways to organize paper files...best wishes as you work through the process of finding the way that works for you!

• 1 month later...

Digital Addict said: Items used in a layout - Add a layer to your stack of layers and use it to record the kit/designer, font, photographer (if applicable) info. I just create a large text box using an easy to read font...such as Arial 12pt...and put this layer at the top of the stack in the layers palette. While I'm designing I 'hide' this layer so it isn't in my way and I only 'unhide' it when I need to know the info for posting (and maybe someday for publishing...should I decide to get brave!) and when I'm adding another note to it.

---------

I love this! This will definitely be my new way to keep track of things I used. Great tip! Thanks a million!

• 1 month later...

Back when I took pieces out of their kits and saved them in folders named Red Paper, Blue Brads, etc, I used a renaming program called ARen to add, eg. SG_ at the beginning of each file from the kit to denote it came from Scrap Girls. So this would work well if you get a kit from *gasp* another company that doesn't have the excellent naming system SG has.

Now I keep everything in a folder with the title, eg. SG_BHA_Stylize Collection and I make sure I've saved the composite image (the little .jpg that shows everything that comes with that kit) in the folder. This is the only thing I've found that SG doesn't do that I wish they would...always have the composite image as part of your downloads with that collection. I find the composite usually has the designer's entire name spelled out, then I don't have to look back to the thread previously mentioned to figure out whose initials are whose.

Oh, and for organization, I am now in the process of using CS3 Bridge to keep track of all my Blue Brads and Red papers:)

Items used in a layout - Add a layer to your stack of layers and use it to record the kit/designer, font, photographer (if applicable) info. I just create a large text box using an easy to read font...such as Arial 12pt...and put this layer at the top of the stack in the layers palette. While I'm designing I 'hide' this layer so it isn't in my way and I only 'unhide' it when I need to know the info for posting (and maybe someday for publishing...should I decide to get brave!) and when I'm adding another note to it.

How Simply Brilliant!!! I use PSCS3 as well, but haven't "moved into" Bridge yet. The first version was SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, that I was too impatient to wait on it. I hear it's better now. I am of the 'write it on a post-it note' variety when I make a layout, but I love the idea of having a hidden layer with the info on it. I save everything (except uploads) as .TIFF's so this would always work for me. Simply Brilliant!

I have become pretty exclusively ScrapGirls myself. I have an SG category and then everyone else. When I download ANYTHING, I always make a point to rename the file with the designers' name first. This will keep everything by one designer together. Good Luck with it. SG makes it easy on you! Everyone else, not so much.

Archived