Framing A 12 X 12 Layout

CanJan

Have had to combine my card making with my class Homework because of time constraints. Seems most frame suppliers I can find do not have 12 X 12 or any other Square frames for sale: Anyone any ideas for crafting your own frames (cardboard, bristleboard etc) or a supplier that will do these???

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Firefly7071

I just buy my frames for $20.00 a piece at Ikea. FJÄLLSTA are the ones that I get. They come in a dark stained wood, black, blond, and white. They also have them in shadow boxes. I LOVE the thick frames and wide mattes. here in Atlanta they are always sold out, but I call ahead to check to see if they are in stock during the week to beat the weekend rush.

I found my basic black frame at Michaels crafts for about $29. With a coupon from another store, it was less. Very easy to load and use, and black complements all the different los. I believe they had other colors too. Have not tried IKEA, but will certainly try that!

Barb

I'm getting tired of looking for frames for 8 x 8 or 12 x 12 LOs. So I asked my dad. See, we have an art gallery and it never even occurred to me to try any of our frame suppliers. I'm just curious if people prefer matting their LOs or leaving them be. I have a couple of LOs to frame for Christmas gifts so I need to find something soon here.

The IKEA one is a deal if you can get it (is it an acid free mat?), but our store is always out of stock and I live a few hours away. I may just have to go the custom route. There is one company who is actually reasonable on custom orders, but you have to buy five of the same frame. Even those of us who buy wholesale (on a smaller scale) may have a bit of trouble. ;)

So mat or no mat?

~Zaz

I've not yet framed and hung layouts....although it sounds like a great idea.

Mat or no mat....

I'd probably mat an 8x8 but not mat a 12x12. Just seems like a matted 12x12 (the frame would probably need to be like 14x14) would take up a LOT of wall space and may overpower a room.

Hope that opinion (worth about 2 cents) helps you Zaz!

Denise

I've not yet framed and hung layouts....although it sounds like a great idea.

Mat or no mat....

I'd probably mat an 8x8 but not mat a 12x12. Just seems like a matted 12x12 (the frame would probably need to be like 14x14) would take up a LOT of wall space and may overpower a room.

Hope that opinion (worth about 2 cents) helps you Zaz!

Denise

Thanks, Denise! Actually, if we usually mat things, I believe the smallest mat we do is about 2 1/16" plus a frame. I was actually thinking of about a 21" x 21" (or larger) in a frame if the LO is matted. I'm used to large paintings on my walls so anything much smaller would probably just disappear. We have a few smaller photos hanging, but the subject is a close-up so they still work. :)

I'm glad to have your opinion since it proves that we're all different and see things in different ways. I like that. :)

~Zaz

Ikea and Michael's are my only luck as well! Seems like there should be other options out there :)

As far as matting- I think it would depend on the composition of my LO as well as if I wanted it to stand alone or be part of a grouping.

I saw one at Walmart the other day. It was a 12x12 black frame (pretty nice, too). It had a mat cut for several small photos, but I figured you could just take it out. Think it was about $12-$13.

I have also notice many square frames in the framed art department of stores for reasonable prices. You could carefully remove the bacing to put your page in.

I did a quick search....

Shutterfly has 12x12 and 8x8 frames in black and white....$19 for the 12" and $15 for the 8"

Do a search on Amazon...I found a 12 x 12 frame from the merchant: Adam Hersh Posters . They offer the frames in different wood colors: black, whitewash, cherry, dark green, honey...the frames are for $22 right now. Because this isn't directly from amazon, you're not going to be able to get the free shipping. I don't know how much the shipping would be...also there is a note on the amazon page that if you buy three items from this merchant, you get one for free. Maybe something to check out if you're looking for multiple frames.

I can't recall what I have seen in the stores in the 12x12 size....have specifically looked for that size. I think at Michaels they may have in the shadow box area....a frame for an lp album...you know the big vinyl records...I don't know what the dimension of the frame would be, it might be big enough for a 12 x 12 layout. I tried looking at jo-anns website since you can actually buy items from them...but they didn't have a frame in this size.

Just for the record, I've purchased posters from Adam Hersh and they weren't packaged well and were damaged. After talking to someone there I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get the situation rectified either. This was probably two years ago, though. Just a thought.

From what I can tell so far, I think people here are opting for no mat, right? Maybe I should start a poll. I'm tempted to buy a 21 x 21 frame and a 12 x 12 frame and put the same LO in both and see which I like better. :)

~Zaz

Ok, I found something else......at acmoore's website....(another craft store).....do a search for 12 x 12 frame....I found an unfinished one for 10.49 (pretty reasonable huh). Since it is unfinished...you can finish it anyway you want...with stain or color. If you have a store nearby..hopefully they would have this in stock...I checked out the pricing for shipping...for orders up to 29.99...shipping is $7.80. Hope this helps.

I was at a Walmart (different one than I usually go to) the other day and found black 12x12 frame for $6.00! :dancingelephant: It was a nice frame too. Woohooo! I'll be all over that! I'v found that the same stores often carry different merchandise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm betting our Target and Wal-Mart stores are smaller than others because there is never any of the things that others tell they find there. I did happen upon 8 x 8 and 10 x 10 frames and Target yesterday (they included mats for much smaller photos). Glass and everything for about $15. I looked at how they were put together and they seemed pretty sturdy and they were made of wood (not the fake stuff). I also bought some square frames with special die cut mats at Kohl's on sale yesterday for $6. I'll just take the mats out. They aren't as good as the ones from Target, but sometimes you just have to take what you can find.

I am putting in an order for 21" square frames from a wholesaler. Can't wait to see how they turn out. The only bad part is having to buy five at a time. I'm betting that I can find a use for them, though. ;)

~Zaz

Archived