Photoshop Cs3 Trouble

All,

I'm not sure what happened to my CS3 but it's no longer working properly. I can open a file from Adobe Bridge or by right clicking in explorer and chosing open with. However, if I try to open a file from the File/open menu or using ctrl-o, it pops the open file window up and quickly closes it. This renders the program unresponsive and I have to do a ctrl-alt-delete to close and reopen.

I've tried doing a repair on it but that didn't help. I then uninstalled and reinstalled ... this didn't help either. I tried calling adobe last night but had to hang up before I got to an agent. I've also looked in their knowledge base and found similar problems for CS and CS2 but those fixes don't seem to apply to CS3 (the files they refer to are not on my computer).

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem? If you have, have you found a cure for the problem? It seems (I think from the knowledge base files) to be potentially caused by a corrupt preferences file which I cannot find the CS3 version of.

Any help would be appreciated. I know you all are wonderful sources for information and help. Hoping someone here can help me so that I don't have to try calling Adobe again ;).

Thanks a bunch!

Denise

I had problems with the beta version while it was available... but now that I have the ACTUAL CS3, I have had no problems whatsoever.

I would try to reboot the computer one more time (to dump any bad whatever's from it's working memory) and then try the Repair again.

Guest dawnsmemories

I don't have this problem with CS3 however, I did with Carbonite to install it. They called me this afternoon and spent well over an hour with me and we finally had to download it while my computer was in safe mode, then it worked fine. They concluded that something that is running in my background was effecting it so maybe that might be a similar situation. With Carbonite, the program would disappear whenever I tried to open it so it sounds similar.

Good luck,

dawn

Thanks everyone. I just got off the phone with Adobe. If anyone else has this problem (I've never had problems of this nature with photoshop and I've been using it on and off since version 4), the solution turned out to be create a new user on the PC and use photoshop from there.

I don't consider this an ideal solution cause I now need to recreate all my personalized settings for the new user (I'm consulting with a friend of mine who can hopefully provide me with a quick easy way to do this). Adobe came to the conclusion (after trying a few other things) that something associated with photoshop and the particular user got corrupted. They have no idea how this happened.

He indicated the only way to fix the current user would be to reformat the HD ... which would put me in the same situation basically of recreating the user anyway.....sigh.

Denise

OK ... a little more on this (if anyone is ever interested). I didn't really care for Adobe's solution cause I like the way my user is set up in XP. So I kept playing with it and I managed to completely fix the problem.

If any of you ever run into it here's what I did ....

created the new account that Adobe asked for (Admin privs).

Logged into the account

started photoshop and made sure it worked.

Closed Photoshop

Then I went to the new user path c:\documents and settings\WorkingUser\Application Data\

I copied the Adobe file from Application Data from the working user, to the same path of the non working user

c:\documents and settings\nonworkingUser\Application Data.

This fixed the problem (at least it appears to be working now).

Thought I'd share in case anyone else ran into this.

Denise

Archived