Questions About Cs3 & Bridge

Christina

I'm thinking about upgrading from PSE5 to CS3 (have a great offer through my new Wacom Tablet for $299) but am not clear about the features of Bridge...are they similar but more advanced then the Organizer feature in PSE5 (I love my organizer) and how do the files upgrade (ie do your tags stay attached, etc). I've read lots of great things about CS3 itself, but not much info on Bridge. Would love any feedback on the difference! Also, if you have any iinfo on 'wow' features that CS3 has over PSE5, I'd love to hear those too (it will make my decision to upgrade so much easier, lol!)

Thanks!

Christina

PS - I assume this is a good offer...it really seems to be, but maybe I'm missing something somewhere?

Santa brought me CS3 yesterday, and I've loaded it on and looked around, but haven't *done* anything yet. He got it for about $300, too, from a site that sells software for students (dd is in kindergarten and she qualified!). I'm excited to play, but curious about Bridge, too. Looking forward to what everyone has to say!

I use Bridge, but not all it's bell's and whistles so I can't speak for that. However, having moved from Elements to CS3, I have to say there is just no comparison for me. The options for editing seem endless, I love being able to edit in raw, change photos to black and white, create text paths, and so many other things. That said, it's a big learning curve and takes some dedication to take advantage of all the extras.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also wondering about Bridge. I've had CS2 at work for 3 years and have never used bridge. I have PSE at home and ALWAYS use organizer. If I upgrade to CS3 at home, I am guessing that I can still use the organizer and hopefully just not install bridge (assuming I can custom install). Does anyone else work this way? Design in Photoshop but use organizer? I have every photo and digiscrap element tagged to quickly find in organizer. Couldnt imagine working without it.

I have decided to use the organizer in PSE5 and not use Bridge for now. I'd love to tag all my supplies in Bridge, but I'm having trouble bringing up the tagged items unless I have the folder open. I have all my things inside folders, so tagging things isn't working for me. I think I'd rather spend my time scrapping!

I'm not real good at Bridge but I'm starting to tag all of my stuff. I know that I have all my digi supplies in folders within a folder titled Collections. If I open the Collections folder there is an option to view everything including items in subfolders. If I click that I can sort everything by their tags. I still have A LOT to learn about Bridge though so I'm interested in what others have to say.

I'll have to try that Shari! I'm sure there is an easy way to view the tags, I just haven't figured it out yet. I don't really believe that PSE5 Organizer is better than Bridge, but I just haven't had the time to look through it all.

I'm here to pipe in on the CS3 vs PSE debate. If you have the opportunity to get CS3 for $299 - DO IT!!!!!! The advantages of CS3 over PSE truly are endless - CS is well worth the $600 asking price, but it is a steal at the $299. (I paid $1500 for my production suite! -I have the video/audio package)

CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3! CS3!

I was a very lucky girl I got CS3 as a present last year and the possibilites are endless.I haven't even touched all the capabilities of Bridge but be warned make sure you have lots of available memory.I have heard of difficulties with people having to keep closing Bridge as it is so memory hungry but I think that was a problem with CS2 and I have had no problems with CS3.Just something to be aware of.Go for it and enjoy

Hi,

I've jumped straight in at CS3, so I don't know anything about the older programs.

I'm finding Bridge is working fine, though I bought my computer with this in mind, so I have plenty of grunt to run it.

I have a folder titled Scrapgirls, and then everything in folders under that. Anything that comes in a kit, stays in it's own subfolder, and then I tag everything (everything except the read only files). So, to find what I want when in Bridge, I click on the Scrapgirls folder, and then in the "filters" palette on the left side I click on a small icon. The icon is a folder and over the folder is a circle with a line throught it. Click on it and everything in the subfolders will be displayed. The "filters" palette will then show up a list of the keywords that have been tagged to the items. click on one of them and only the items with that tag will show. It's great!

I also use the append data thing, which means I can add my name, and bunch of other info to the metadata of all the items I select all at the same time.

Yeah, there's more to learn, but having too much fun in Photoshop at the moment!

Archived