Making Bookmarks...have You Done This?

scrappinchar

Hi. I was thinking about wedding ideas...my upcoming wedding. :)

I've seen before where people have given out (had sitting there and people could take) bookmarks at their wedding. It would have a verse or poem and the couples names and wedding date, etc.

Well, I see that the boutique has a bookmarks templates for sale.

Have you used this...or made your own. (I'd go the easy route and use the templates. :) )

Do you print them on white cardstock? I have a pack of white cardstock...not very textured. I thought that would hold up better than people's fingers all over photo paper. Plus, the back of photo paper isn't very appealing.

And...if I were to put ribbon (tassel?) at the end...would I need a metal eyelet? Probably.

Gee...now I'm picturing tassels being expensive. I'd want to make about 50 of them. If a couple is coming...I don't need one for both people, right?

Would it have to be a tassel...or could a ribbon work?

Tied kind of like this...

Any other suggestions?

Here's what the bookmarks templates look like:

Bookmarks In Boutique

Hmmmm. So much to figure out.

I have made a ton of bookmarks! I read alot and so I use alot! :)

I made around 30 before, I gave out to my family and friends and they just loved them. I got some free clip art of a mom and daughter holding hands and made the words A Mom's Love Is Forever, etc to my mother and grandmother.. It is so a great way to be creative!

I have made my own template and printed them off on cardstock. Then I run it through my Xryon machine to laminate it to make it stronger. I then use my hole punch at the top and string lots of ribbon at the top, cause I love ribbon! It is nice to play with it while reading! :)

I bet a tassel would be great too! You could make your own tassel out of that colored floss you get when you do cross stitching. I use to make friendship bracelets out of those as a kid.

1.Make about 6 inches long cuts in the string, I dont know about 20 of them or more if you want to,

2. Get another long piece of floss and tie it in the middle of the pile of floss you just cut

3. Fold the floss in half so you would have 3 inches on one side and 3 inches on the other

4. Get another string and fold it around the top of the folded string and tie it and snip off the excess.

5. Take the long string you have from the other tie you did in step 2 and tie it to your bookmark

Wow...thanks.

Since I don't have a Xyron...do you think I should have them laminated? I suppose Staples could do that? Or do you know where?

My "inexpensive" idea seems to be adding up. lol

Charlene, I have made the bookmarks-the templates make them super easy. I ran mine on cardstock, but still found them a little flimsy, so laminating sounds like a good idea. I made some with a yarn tassle at the top and some without. I would definitely do somet kind of metal eyelet if you do a ribbon or tassle, but honestly they don't need anything at the top, I thought they finished off very pretty without one.

We gave out bookmarks at our wedding- a long long time ago-but we bought them and spent a fortune. I think your guests would find this much more meaningful if made by the bride! You could maybe even include a special photo of you and the groom and a "thanks for coming" note at the bottom

Good ideas Melissa. And thanks for so much information. All you have to do around here to learn new things is to just keep reading these threads. Someone mentioned Xryon in a thread I was reading yesterday and I wondered, what in the world is that. Taking it in context I almost had it figured out, but now that you've said "run it through my Xryon machine" tells me exactly what it is. Are these expensive? Would you get it at Michaels Craft store?

Obviously, I've never paper scrapped and have so much to learn. And now that I'm getting into more of the paper crafting, cards and things (and now bookmarks) there's all sorts of things I need to know. Like using some type of fastener to make the card envelopes open and close, but not permanently. I had thought maybe velcro would work, but it's too bulky. Anyone have any ideas?

I had bookmarks at my wedding. We had them done at the place we got our invitations from. We only ordered enough for about half of the people, and still had leftovers. We had a verse from our invitation printed on them, with our names and date, and a quick thank you for sharing our day. I know my grandfather still has his, and that was almost 13 years ago. Ours weren't laminated, and had a tassel. I never used them for bookmarks while I was reading, so I don't know how well they held up.

Before you decide to do this, make sure you can find tassels! I searched everywhere before Christmas and couldn't find them.

Good ideas Melissa. And thanks for so much information. All you have to do around here to learn new things is to just keep reading these threads. Someone mentioned Xryon in a thread I was reading yesterday and I wondered, what in the world is that. Taking it in context I almost had it figured out, but now that you've said "run it through my Xryon machine" tells me exactly what it is. Are these expensive? Would you get it at Michaels Craft store?

Obviously, I've never paper scrapped and have so much to learn. And now that I'm getting into more of the paper crafting, cards and things (and now bookmarks) there's all sorts of things I need to know. Like using some type of fastener to make the card envelopes open and close, but not permanently. I had thought maybe velcro would work, but it's too bulky. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes you can get the xyron at Michaels and yes they are expensive. Which is why I don't own one. if you want a fastener for the card envelopes to not make them permanent... There are a couple ways to do it. But what I need to know first is will these go through the mail system? If so, then they will have to be put in another envelope for mailing purposes.

You could add rivets or circle eyelets and then do the ribbon thing with the envelopes which is fun to do and the kit for eyelets or rivets is not expensive.

Another good idea, Vaughnde! I'll look for circle eyelets and rivets next time I'm at the craft store, which could be this afternoon. Also, I was thinking

of little thin magnets. I saw this on a scrapbooking program on TV last week but haven't ever seen the actual magnets.

One more thing: what do you call those fasteners that have the two circles (almost like buttons) and the string that wraps around and around to close a folder. They used to be on large manilla envelopes that businesses used for inter-office mail. What are those called?

And yes, you're right, I'd have to put them in another envelope for mailing.

Ok, here's my input ladies. The tassels you can get at Tassel Depot, very inexpensive and beautiful quality. I bought the sampler pack along with a lot of others so I could see every color, so if you have a question about what the colors are, I can probably help you. The lamination question: If you print your bookmarks on a sheet of cardstock but do not cut them apart, you can have them laminated at Office Max or Staples inexpensively. Bring them home, cut them apart, punch the hole, think creative here, a heart punch, a dove, etc. Use a corner punch if you want rounded or fancy corners. Attach tassel and they are beautiful. (Can you tell I do this for a living?)

Hi Charlene. I've made a zillion of them as well. My personal preference is to laminate them and tie on a pretty sheer ribbon. It really isn't expensive at all. You can find nice sturdy sticky lamination in 9x12 at Sam's or some place on the web. I have a heat laminator, Xyron machine and the sticky lamination and actually for the bookmarks I prefer the sticky or the heat. They're much sturdier laminations. And with lamination all you have to do is punch a hole and tie the ribbon. No need for any eyelets.

A great idea for pretty wedding bookmarks would be to print your bookmarks on printable vellum using the transparency option from your printer settings. The look is just beautiful. Then you just laminate the full 8.5 x 11 sheet of bookmarks. Cut them out with your straight cutter. Punch holes and tie sheer ribbons. Piece of cake!!

Here's your list.

* SG Bookmark Templates

* Printable Vellum or cardstock

* Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets, 9"x12", Clear, 50/Box - Online Search results

* Sheer ribbon

Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks so much ladies.

I took a glance in JoAnne's today. The Xyron is NOT in my budget.

But at Office Depot...to laminate (back and front) of one sheet is only $1.50. Then I could come home and cut them out.

I found tiny tassels at Hobby Lobby. :)

$.99 for three. But I will check out the online site mentioned above by Gina.

I'm kind of excited about this project. :)

I'm interested in trying the vellum option as well.

I'll have to print this thread to refer back to.

Thanks again!

LOL

Sure. I'll post them when I do them.

My mind is expanding the project.

Thinking about a small wooden box that I can decoupage with beautiful ScrapGirl papers. To display the bookmarks in, of course. lol

Not that I've ever decoupaged ANYTHING. LOL

:rofl:

Another good idea, Vaughnde! I'll look for circle eyelets and rivets next time I'm at the craft store, which could be this afternoon. Also, I was thinking

of little thin magnets. I saw this on a scrapbooking program on TV last week but haven't ever seen the actual magnets.

One more thing: what do you call those fasteners that have the two circles (almost like buttons) and the string that wraps around and around to close a folder. They used to be on large manilla envelopes that businesses used for inter-office mail. What are those called?

And yes, you're right, I'd have to put them in another envelope for mailing.

They are called string enclosures I guess....Its been so long I don't really remember the name :)

Thanks for all of your input about this.

I bought the bookmark templates today and felt like I "had" to play with them tonight.

I'm not 100% set on what I made...I have plenty of time to change things up or try different papers, elements, etc.

But what do you think so far?

I think I like the color of the journal paper in #2 better.

But I think I like the upper picture in #1 better. (Easily switchable.)

Which one do you like more? I thought the upper picture in #2 might have too much green in it, so it might not "flow" as well with the blues.

Are they too plain, do they look nice?

How about the wording? Do you suggest a different sentiment?

And...the "accent" colors in the wedding are blue/navy blue, hence the choice of blue in the bookmark.

Wedding Favor Bookmarks

Thanks for any input.

Charlene...I love those bookmarks....The background papers are so pretty. I just got married in June...and a I had so many projects on my plate. My colors were Light and Navy Blue....which made a pretty color combo. I remember seeing tassles at Michaels before...but that is before they changed everything in the store. This will be such a beautiful favor for your guests.

I printed some out to test it. I used light weight white cardstock.

On the back of the sheet I printed the same paper that is on the front...not the blue one, the ivory with swirls one. It looks like embossed paper! In person, not only do you see the obvious swirls, but there is another layer of very light swirls which makes it looked dry embossed.

I'm going to go take a look at two-sided photo paper. It might have a better looking finish on that versus the "rough" cardstock.

And I'm headed to another Hobby Lobby for more little tassels.

I'm really pleased with the whole idea.

:)

Archived