Just Getting Started Need Help Please

efletcher1

I am new to digital scrapbooking, I have a IMAC computer and not sure which software program to go with. I already have pse-4 but I have never used it and not sure this is the one for me. I am willing to purchase something else if it would make things easier. Since I have no knowledge of any software program I would like to stay with something for a while and not have to upgrade to something else and have another learning curve. I am not sure having all the bells and whistles is the way to go if the learning curve is frustrating. I just want to learn how to do digital scrapbooking without being frustrated. What do you suggest? I plan to purchase the video tutorials with whatever software program I need to use. Thanks

First WELCOME to Scrap Girls. This is a great place to learn Digital Scrapping. I use PSE5, because of my budget. The full Adobe program CS3 is extremely expensive. That is something you also need to consider. There are many users here who use various programs, from CS3 to Paintshop Pro, and etc. My suggestion if you already have PSE4, is to learn it, and see how you like it. If you want to, a lot of the software programs offer trial versions. Maybe download one or two, and give that a try as well. There is help for all the programs in the University, or on the Message Boards, so which ever program you go with, you will have help learning it.

Hi Julie and Welcome to Scrap Girls. I don't scrap on a MAC, but when I started I chose PSE5, the reason is because it seemed to me at the time that that was the most popular one here and I thought it would be easier to use . The learning curve is not bad at all, it just takes time. I recommend that you purchase Ro's "Secrets" Video's and her "More Secrets" to which ever program you choose. Just remember to be careful when you purchase it, they are program specific.

I am sure there will be others soon who do use a Mac and will be of more help.

But, in the meantime here is my : :welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

I will add my hello and welcome to Scrap Girls.

Photoshop Elements is really a geat program for digital scrapbooking. I think you would find that with Ro Secrets you can learn it very quickly and avoid a lot of frustration. Paint Shop Pro is also an excellent program. I have not used it so I can't speak to it's learning curve but again, there is a version of Ro's Secrets for it.

The ultimate program is, as mentioned, Photoshop CS3. And yes, it is very expensive. There are Ro's Secrets for the various versions of that too. The learning curve for CS is definitely is steeper but it can do so much. If you are planning on doing designing scrapbooking product, I would definitely consider CS, CS2 or 3 but you can create digital scrapbooking product in PSE and PSP too.

The neat thing about PSE and I think PSP too is that the makers of those programs seem to have keyed in to the fact that people are using these programs for digital scrapbooking, not just image editing, and there are some wonderful features that make things very easy to do.

In my opinion, you can do a whole lot with PSE or PSP without the cost of CS. There is even less expensive "scrapbooking" software out there but their features are more limited and you would be frustrated by those limitations in short order.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

You already have some great responses, and I agree. I use CS3, but since you're just starting I'd stick with elements, but maybe upgrade since PSE4 is now a few versions old. Then buy Ro's tutorials and ask questions on the mb. We all love to help. :)

DySnagFairiesWTTG.gif

You'll love it here!

Archived