The Shack Question...

podiumchick

I just got my copy of The Shack that was recommended to us. I read the back cover and it gives the info that the daughter was abducted from a family vacation. Those of you (especially moms) who have read this already--would it be better for me to read this AFTER our family vacation? Will it put a cloud of worry or fear over me about this (I have three DD's ages 20, 12, & 9). I had thought this would be a good vacation read for me but now I'm not sure. I may go look for Carla's Aunt Dimity books instead!

Thanks for your advice!

Well Kim, if it were me and I have 3 too, I would wait til after, everytime they leave the house you're going to worry yourself sick ! That is if you're anything like me and I think you are !! lol My vote is wait !!

Thanks, friends. I was thinking 'wait' so your confirmation is good. I'll leave the book at home. I always get worried when I read those "Attacked in a Campground" stories you see in Reader's Digest or other magazines. Since we camp it sort of gets to me. I know my Heavenly Father watches over us, but there is no reason to put thoughts in my head!

Kim, I have a suggestion for a good read that won't put fear in you - Three Cups of Tea by Gregg Mortenson. This is by far the best book I've ever read. It's his true story of how, as a mountain climber, he got lost coming back down and was saved by a small village in Afghanistan. To pay back the village for saving his life he decides to build them a school. The things that this man goes through will keep you enthralled - it is very uplifting.

Enjoy your vacation!

Kim, I too was afraid of what I'd find in the book. I have ZERO tolerance for gore, suspense, scary, or anything remotely creepy. I don't watch movies that are more than PG (maybe PG-13, but not often) as a result. I was prepared to close the book at any moment that pushed my limit. I was amazed at how they handled all that in the book. I think my image of what might be in the book was MUCH yuckier (yes, I have 5 year olds!) than what I read. And most of the book is NOT focused on that part. That is the set up for what the real meat of the book is about.

That being said, my DH skipped a few chapters because he just couldn't tolerate even reading a bit of that part (this from a man who watches blood and guts movies???? Go figure!). He says it hits way to close to home for him. I honestly think he could have read it and done OK, but I'm not in his skin...the dad of 2 almost-6-year-old girls.

So if you're worried...better safe than sorry. And I agree with Janine: you'll miss lots of your vacation because you won't be able to put it down!

Have a great vacation!

Debbie

I took this book with me to read during our ride to and from our Thomas the Tank Engine event. We had a four hour drive each way. I'm 3/4 of the way through the book. It's an amazing read. Very compelling and I've been brought to tears a few times while reading it.

Like Debbie said, the focus of the book is not on the abduction and it's handled very well. You will probably miss alot of the vacation if you would take it. It's a can't put down book!

Have a great vacation!

I have been putting off reading this book! I think most of my church has and have said that it really made an impact on them. It's sitting on my bedside table! Ok, so maybe I need to pick it up......;)

I'm about a quarter of the way into it and I guess I would probably wait until after your vacation as well. It seems like it is going to be a great book but I know that I would worry about things more and not enjoy the trip so maybe it is best for a read on the way home. :)

I say wait if you are going camping. I don't camp so that part of the story didn't hit close to home.

For all of you worried about that part of the book though- don't be. I think the author handled it well and that is so NOT what the book is about. Yes, it is sad and it will make you think twice about turning your back on yoru children for even a second but I found myself halfway forgetting that part of the story since I got so wrapped up in the rest of the story. Be brave girls! This book is really thought provoking. Just get through that first part and you won't want to put it down.

• 3 months later...

I'm just back from an extended vacation and only just catching up on the messageboard.

This book was recommended to me by friends I stayed with in the U.S. immediately before I returned to Australia. I bought "The Shack" to read on the long haul flight home.

This book now ranks very highly in my list of 'great reads' - so much so, that I am encouraging everyone to read it. Two days after I arrived home, after the unpacking and laundry were done, I went out and bought several copies to give to family and friends. It's THAT good!!!

It is not a book to be fearful of - it's totally inspirational.

I got the book, but haven't had time to read it yet. I want to be able to give it my undivided attention and give myself to really consider what the message I get from it is. I want to give it at least one whole day. I like really fluffy stuff to read on vacation. I usually take two or three paperbacks with me when I travel and leave them where ever I stay when I'm sone with them so someone else can enjoy them as well.

I was going to post and see my original thread has resurfaced! I finally got to read this book (almost done!) while on a long term sub job in HS English. It happened that I was having serious trouble with our band director over hurtful things that have been accumulating over the summer. This book changed my way of thinking!! I knew I had to forgive the band director but was so angry I could not do it. I prayed a desperation prayer something like "God, what does forgiving him look like?" That book was His answer to me. It is no accident that it took me another three months to read it after I bought it in June. I was able to approach this guy, tell him I wanted to clear the air, and that I was choosing not to be angry. That was so freeing! I keep going back to the part where Jesus says He is about relationships. We can try to play judge over what is 'right' or 'wrong' in others' actions toward us, but in the end, Jesus came to restore relationships. That means putting hurts down and forgiving. Not easy by any means, but oh so peacefully rewarding! (Sorry. Done preaching now...)

Archived