Scripts And Actions

CrystalPhoenix

Hello All!

I'm pretty new at this, and though I've been using PSP for several months, I don't have much time to learn new stuff.

I really liked the Sketch It Action on SG and purchased it yesterday, mistakenly thinking it would translate to PSP as so many other tools do (brushes, for example). I've tried the scripts that came with PSP that are supposed to do the same thing but just can't get the right effect - either the colours are too faded or no pencil "strokes" show up. Does anyone know how to get that real "pencil crayon" look to a photo? I'm using PSP XII.

BTW, really enjoyed the Masks chat Monday morning.

Also, does anyone know of any really good tuts on Blend Modes?

As far as an purchase that you made that you can NOT use, contact Angie@Scrapgirl.com and she will work out something with you.

I'm not a PSP user we have a user group just for them. So, I'll let one on them answer your specificc software questions.

ALL of the styles and actions that are sold in the boutique for PSE/PS will not work in PSP. You can return it to Angie and get credit for something else. As to a similiar sketch it action, play around in the effects area of your menu until you find something you like. I just got PSPxi but previously had version 9. If you need more help, feel free to PM Dee or Angela or any of the other PSP Users.

I see this is your first post to the messageboard! WELCOME to Scrap Girls!!

Hi! Welcome to ScrapGirls.

Here's a layout I did using the sketch feature in PSP 9. Sleeping Boy Is this the effect you are looking for? I think it was called "black pencil" effect.

HTH a little. I'm still learning PSP 9 and can't be of more help.

WOW Julie this is awesome! Its as close as one can get to the sketch it action for PSE users in PSP....I think the Color Pencil effect might be similiar...off to play today!

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I've been receiving the newsletter since November but never though to sign up for the forums.

The pencil sketch of the sleeping boy is close to what I want, I actually did an online tut that gives a similar effect, but what the Sketch It action does is make the picture look like it was sketched in coloured pencils. I've tried the scripts that come with PSP, but they seem to leave a blurry but still distinguishable picture with pencilled edges - you don't see the lines that a coloured pencil would make. See below, which is the "ad" for the PS action I bought...

Thanks for all your comments! I will email Angie, though I wasn't too concerned about the $$. I will try playing a bit more with the PSP scripts and see what I come up with.

Hi, here's a tutorial I found how to make a pencil sketch effect without using filter/ script, and I use it quite often. It's time consuming, but worth a try.

Open image you want to use and hit Control C; Control V to duplicate the image.

Set original off to side to use later or close.

1. Adjust>Hue Saturation>Lightness: Saturation -100 (to desaturate)

2. Auto Contrast Enhancement: Bias-Darker, Strength-Normal, Appearance-Bold

3. Right click in Layer Palette > Duplicate layer

4. On Copy of Background, go to Image>Negative Image

5. Double click on Copy of Background in Layer Palette to bring up Layer Properties box. Set blend mode to Dodge. Don't get alarmed. Most of your picture will turn white.

6. Adjust>Blur>Gaussian Blur Set Radius to 2

7. Merge Down

8. Right click in Layer Palette- Duplicate layer

9. Double click on Copy of Background for Layer Properties box, set Blend Mode to Multiply.

10. Merge down

Repeat 8, 9, and 10

11. Auto Contrast Enhancement: Bias-Neutral, Strength-Normal, Appearance-Natural

Now you can use the lithograph as is or add a texture or put it on top of the original and lower the lithograph layer to add a little color. Experiment and have

Now, if you wanted to get the color pencil effect, duplicate the photo layer before start the step 1. then after you've done the all steps, simply reduce the sketch layer's oparcity. I hope that help. :)

Here's how I used a tutorial on pencil sketches I did last fall. I had a lot of fun with it. Pencil sketches and Pencil Sketches 2

What I'm wanting to do is to make a photo look like it was done in coloured pencil crayons - IE instead of or in addition to the black pencil lines.

thanks for all your comments - I'm glad I found a group of PSP users!

Sounds like you've found some answers to your question! I did send you a PM but was unable to find what I thought I had on this after all. I think what you did in those pencil sketch layouts is gorgeous and I haven't found a way to quite get that effect! IMO the effects that come with PSP are a bit ordinary (although I'm still pretty new to it so maybe don't know how to get them how they should be!)

I recently did this sketch of a picture of our friend's cabin, and matted and framed it as a thank you gift for the wonderful week we spent with them there.

I used the "Create a pencil sketch" tutorial that appeared in the Preview Issue of the new Paint Shop Pro Photo Magazine. It was pretty detailed and I probably will have to refer back to it if I try again, but I really liked the outcome.

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=56682

Hi, here's a tutorial I found how to make a pencil sketch effect without using filter/ script, and I use it quite often. It's time consuming, but worth a try.

This sounds very interesting. I think I'm going to try all of the different sketch tuts with one photo and see how much the results differ. Some definitely sound easier than others, and "easy is good." LOL

I can't wait to try to add color as you suggested. Thanks for the instructions

Archived