Ehd Questions?

I just got a 500GB EHD yesterday...just pluged it in and it scanned "My Documents" Now how do I get to these files...I know I this has got to be a DUH moment, but I clicked on the Icon in My Computer, and can't seem to see a way to get at them....Also when I do get past this moment, can i delete the files on my Main HD?? I have hudreds of digital files and photos....I plan on putting everything on CD's also. I read the other thread but didn't see anything that really answered this question....TIA for any help you can give me>>>Carol

how to get to them? Yes you should be going to my computer, and there should be an icon with your drives for it. Your EHD must be turned on though... Once you find the icon,d boule click on it and you should see your coppied over documents.

Delete? Yes you can, however as any hard drive can fail, i highly suggest that you back up (as you said).

Does that help?

If you cant find the icon, give us a screen shot .. maybe we can help you know which one... or heck, just open every icon in there and see which it is. Once you find it, you can change the "name" by right clicking on the icon and chosing properties. Not sure exactly where, but i have it set so when i turn mine on, i see in my computer "H:NutBackUP"

Angela N.

Did it transfer the files from my documents to the ehd? If so, if the ehd is plugged into your computer all you should have to do is click on my computer and under hard disk drives it should have your "c" drive which is your main drive and the another drive listed probably as an "e" drive. double click on the second hard drive and it should list your files that are the ehd. hth.

I've been looking at EHD's this week and I was wondering what you bought. Best Buy's got some good deals this week. I have some money coming from doing some chores for a neighbor but I don't know as of yet how much but I hope to have enough to get one.

I'm going to use mine just for my digiscrapping supplies and finished layouts. I back up all my zipped files after I download them so I'm figuring that as one form of back-up. I back up my layouts to DVDs frequently too.

OK....I followed my nose and this is how I found My Documents 1. Carol and a long 2. C 3. Documents and Settings 4.Owner 5.My Documents and there they were. Is there anyway to make it more easily accessable??? "My Documents needs a good house cleaning too so need to delete some things on there. How do I put some things on there that are....say on my Desk top...like huge font folders...and PC Crafter Creatables and other things that it didn't seem to get or are they hiding too??? LOL

I got a 500 GB one called a Maxtor Onetough 4 Plus from Staples...it is reg $179 and is $99 this week

I've been looking at EHD's this week and I was wondering what you bought. Best Buy's got some good deals this week. I have some money coming from doing some chores for a neighbor but I don't know as of yet how much but I hope to have enough to get one.

I'm going to use mine just for my digiscrapping supplies and finished layouts. I back up all my zipped files after I download them so I'm figuring that as one form of back-up. I back up my layouts to DVDs frequently too.

Now you said you back up all your zipped finles after you download them...do you unzip them and then copy the little "Zipped" icons on a CD??? I have just been copying the "Unzipped" file on CD's but that is going to take alot of CD's

You know I am really a newcomer to this computer stuff so if I sound really dense, I am....I have learned ALOT and find I still have a few living brain cells, but am always TOTALLY shocked when something actually works LOL

Now you said you back up all your zipped finles after you download them...do you unzip them and then copy the little "Zipped" icons on a CD??? I have just been copying the "Unzipped" file on CD's but that is going to take alot of CD's

You know I am really a newcomer to this computer stuff so if I sound really dense, I am....I have learned ALOT and find I still have a few living brain cells, but am always TOTALLY shocked when something actually works LOL

OMG....Sorry about that ....seemed to freeze when I clicked post and so goofy me...just couldn't be patient LOL

OK....I followed my nose and this is how I found My Documents 1. Carol and a long 2. C 3. Documents and Settings 4.Owner 5.My Documents and there they were. Is there anyway to make it more easily accessable??? "My Documents needs a good house cleaning too so need to delete some things on there. How do I put some things on there that are....say on my Desk top...like huge font folders...and PC Crafter Creatables and other things that it didn't seem to get or are they hiding too??? LOL

I got a 500 GB one called a Maxtor Onetough 4 Plus from Staples...it is reg $179 and is $99 this week

No worries on the multi posts.. that happens (even to me! hahah)

If your on the c: drive, than your still in your original documents. You should have your EHD as another letter, like F,G,H ...

What i do, when im adding things to my EHD... i go to my C: drive, and have that window open. Then i go back to my computer and open the EHD and open that. Then i put the two windows side by side. Then i copy over from C the files i want to my EHD.

does this make sense?

As for Zips. I back up only my zips on to cds. Thats because they are basically the same as all the unzipped stuff... but in the zip format they are compressed to one file. IE one zip may have up to 25 embellishments in it... so one file is easier :).

Angela

Thanks so much....will have to do that...I have been just deleting the little "Sipped "Icon after I unzip them. I will have to play with this more in the morning when I can open my eyes LOL. Thanks for all your help...I am new here so will stop back and introduce myself tomorrow...C

One more thing, if you start out doing what Angela has suggested and you are able to keep everything organized , then when something happens and you need to go back and get it, you won't have a mess. That's sort of what I'm dealing with now. I have files that are duplicated and when I didn't know what I was doing, instead of "copying" I actually "moved" my files over, so I didn't keep the orginal in its own folder. What a dumb move on my part. Hopefully you'll find this helpful to you ! I was so excited when I started I just dove right in and didn't step back and think !!

What i do, when im adding things to my EHD... i go to my C: drive, and have that window open. Then i go back to my computer and open the EHD and open that. Then i put the two windows side by side. Then i copy over from C the files i want to my EHD.

does this make sense?

As for Zips. I back up only my zips on to cds. Thats because they are basically the same as all the unzipped stuff... but in the zip format they are compressed to one file. IE one zip may have up to 25 embellishments in it... so one file is easier :).

Angela

Hi Angela,

This might seem like a blonde question, but how do you put the two windows side by side? I use XP and my EHD is drive J. It's 750GB and I love it. I have an auto backup set so that everytime there are any new files, it gets backed up just like Carbonite does. Since my CD/DVD is not working so good, I can't make back-up copies. However, I plan on purchasing Mozy this month, so that will take care of another full back-up, plus a backup for my EHD. Even though Carbonite will EDH backup power this year, I'll feel better with two services, both offsite plus my EHD. A new computer is not in the budget (what budget????) this year. Especially not with my move to New York later this month.

:dancing_penguin:

Archived