Promoting Selection To New Layer In Psp

SydneyScrapper

I have just read the transcript from your PSP chat. Thank you so much Dee for posting it, I learned a mountain of stuff and had some giggles along the way!

I do have a question about promoting selection to new layer. At the end, you were lightening a photo using the screen blend. That was great, I had no problem with that!

Then you tried using the lasso to pick out a single object or person to lighten that. I was able to pick out the person but then I didn't know how to promote it. I tried copying and pasting on new layer, but it centred the person and I couldn't line it up on the photo.

Dee said something about right-clicking and promoting the image, but when I right clicked the only option i had was promote background (I don't even know what that means really).

I gave up with that until right at the very end I clicked on my selected person and hey presto there was the promoted layer with the person right in the spot where he should be!

The thing is, I don't know how I did it! LOL! Can anyone explain to me how to promote the selection to a new layer, keeping it in place?

Thanks heaps!!!

Once you have your selection made and see the marching ants, go to Selections>promote to layer. The reason you were having trouble I think is you were trying to promote from a background layer. If you only have promote background to layer as a right click action, promote the background to a layer and then try to promote the selection by right clicking on it.

I use promote to layer so often I have the short cut button on my custom tool bar.

hmmm.....another for the list of chat topics. LOL

Dee, if I right-click on a selection while in Selection mode, it deselects it. Did you mean I should switch to pick tool first?

Thanks for explaining where to find the Promote to Layer (under Selection menu) - that's great to know. In X2 there's a hotkey assigned of Ctrl+Shift+P which is handy to know too, and i've tried it, it works!

However because of my accidental discovery this afternoon - I've tried this a few times now - if I switch to pick tool after using lasso, and click on the centre point, it promotes it straight away! I'm not sure if that's already something everyone knows but it was a neat discovery for me!

Thanks for all the help and advice you're always so willing to share, Dee.

Are you right clicking on the selection itself or on the layer in the layer palette. You should right click on the layer in the layer palette.

I did not know if you switch to Pick tool it automatically promotes! That is good to know!

Can anyone explain why you need to use: promote selection? What actually are you doing? I used it during Thurs. nite chat, but I'd like to understand what I am doing AND when do I need to use it. (never to old to learn a new trick!) GatorGirl

There are many reasons that you might promote a selection to a new layer.

If you are layering a bunch of elements into a cluster, sometimes it's helpful to select portions of individual elements and promote them to new layers in order to make the layering look more real. (see this layout for an example.) The flowers in the ring were tricky to create the effect of some petals above the ring and some below. I selected the portion (lower left) of the ring that I wanted to go over petals and promoted it to a new layer. Then, I moved that new layer above the flower petals. (I did this after shadowing the ring so that the shadow moved with the ring)

The layout I posted above is a good example about being careful with merging layers. If I hadn't merged the three flowers into one layer (instead of 3 different layers), I could have easily moved the layers around with the ring to create the effect I wanted. But, since I had already merged and it would've been a major PIB to un-merge them, I had to mess around with the ring instead.

This layout is an example of promoting to a new layer all over the place.

I was stuck in a hotel room and bored out of my mind. So, I took a photo, started selecting random rectangles and promoting them to new layers and beveling the heck out of everything. The end result isn't a technique I imagine using very much, but it's kind of neat and kept me busy while I was stuck "chaperoning."

Even the title in this layout was a promote to new layer. I used the text tool in the original photo layer, using the "create as selection" option. Then I promoted the selection and added beveling.

This layout shows how you can create depth using promote to new layer.

I placed the tag on top of the ribbon element. Then, I selected just the bow portion of the ribbon and promoted to a new layer and moved it on top of the tag, making it look like the ribbon is holding the tag in place.

Thanks for the wonderful examples, Trixy! I checked them all out. Does promoting a selection require you to cut-out a piece of an element (like the ring; and the blue bow) and only that small piece is promoted? This is where the lasso tool comes in handy? I'm guessing that piece of element that was promoted then sits on its own layer. I need to try this out myself and see what goes on. I really appreciate your time and help. You've motivated me to give it a try!

Thanks for the wonderful examples, Trixy! I checked them all out. Does promoting a selection require you to cut-out a piece of an element (like the ring; and the blue bow) and only that small piece is promoted? This is where the lasso tool comes in handy? I'm guessing that piece of element that was promoted then sits on its own layer. I need to try this out myself and see what goes on. I really appreciate your time and help. You've motivated me to give it a try!

Yes, yes, and yes.

The piece that you promote can be bigger than you need and then you can trim it down (with the lasso tool or erasor brush tool) once you have it in place. Since it's sitting directly over the original layer, you won't be able to tell it's there. I usually turn off the visibility on the original layer until I get the trimming done.

Have fun!

Archived