Carbonite Question

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I thought I'd ask just in case. My computer went a little peculiar when I was shutting down today, and I had to use the power-off switch to get it to shut down. At the time, I was looking at Outlook Express and it was completely frozen. I've just reopened, and all the email in my inbox is gone!

Does anyone know where I should look for the files? I THINK I had them marked for Carbonite to back up, but I honestly don't remember. I don't know what the file would be called if I tried to find it to restore.

Thanks!

As far as i understand Outlook, you have to keep backing it up. When it does a back up, it asks you where you want to put it.

Carboninte will only back that up, it doesnt know to back up the information inside of Outlook.

(i always keep a copy of my emails on the server. just in case!)

We have our C: drive backing up every night to our "back-up" drive. Outlook died on me a few weeks ago and came up with brand spanking new folders. Fortunately, everything was saved, and I have all my old mail. And to think I was thinking, "Darn! All those SG Newsletters!" My sweetie put it back together for me. :D But if anyone knows how to get my old stuff to merge with that new one, I sure would appreciate it. :D

Microsoft Outlook Express stores your address book in one location and your e-mail files in another:

Typically, your address book is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\.

Your e-mail files are typically stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<long alphanumeric code>\Microsoft\Outlook Express\.

Please note:

• In Windows Vista, "Documents and Settings" has been changed to "Users". Substitute "Users" for "Documents and Settings" if you run Vista.
  • <your user name> will obviously vary. If you don't see your own name, your files are most likely in something generic, such as "Owner" or "User".
  • <long alphanumeric code> is a unique code created by windows, and looks like {59EDCB00-A3F6-4ADA-AAF9-FA4F98ED219A}.
  • Windows hides some of the folders in the \Documents and Settings\ folder. If you do not see the Application Data and Local Settings folders, follow the steps below:
    1. Within the Documents and Settings window, select Tools; Folder Options.
    2. Switch to the View tab.
    3. Within the Advanced Settings box, select Show hidden files and folders.
    4. Click the OK button. You should now see the hidden folders, including the Application Data and Local Settings folders.

Hope this helps. Carbonite typically backs up those folders by default, so you should be able to browse to that location within your Carbonite Backup Drive and restore from there.

gosh, i wish i had asked that back before my big faliure last year... i lost alot of emails! the only things i managed to keep were those still on the email server.

Thanks Len! Maybe, i might go back to using outlook now... hehehe

Angela

Archived