Acdsee & Ehd

beejay

Hi Everyone,

The hd on my laptop is pretty full and logging down. I've have an ehd and have been backing up my ACDSee database on that and also another internal hd on my laptop; but now I need to seriously free up some space on my hd.

I know i read somewhere (but can't find it now) how some of you store all your digi files on your ehd and work off that. But I'm scared to take that step!!! I'm so afraid i will do something wrong and lose all my hard work. Can someone hold my hand and tell me it will be alright? LOL

Couple of questions...

1. when i do the database backup it compresses it on my ehd so I am guessing that I would need to extract all the files.

2. how do i delete the files on my laptop (ie.. where ta heck is the folder and what is it called?)

3. are you sure if i delete them on my laptop that the ones of my ehd will work?????

as you can probably tell, I know just enough to be dangerous about these things!

Bobbi

Bobbi, I don't use ACDSee, but I just recently reformated my HD. It was getting so full I couldn't even defragment it, so I decided to just reformat and start fresh. I first saved all of my SG files and other things that needed backing up to DVD. I made two copies of nearly everything, and I, also, put what I could on a small portable HD that we have. That gave me three copies of everything. Then I reformatted and began using an EHD that I purchased. I use my internal HD for my applications, and I have my documents, pictures, SG files, etc. on the EHD. It works great!

I know you're not talking about reformatting, but I just wanted to share my experience and let you know that if you're paranoid about losing stuff, like I am :) back it up to DVD, too, before you delete it from your HD. Also, wanted you to know that working off of the EHD works perfectly fine for me. You just need your program (CS3, PSE, PSP, or whatever program you use) on the laptop HD. You can easily load your files from an external.

I'm so sorry that I can't offer any first-hand experience on your questions about ACDSee, but I'm sure someone will come along who can!

be careful, if you are using Acdsee and have tagged everything, you need to ensure that all the moving is done within acdsee or you will lose your tags.

I THINK this is done using synchronize command in acdsee, I am sure thats how I did mine. you set up a folder on you EHD with exactly the same name as your supplies folder on you hard drive. for example, my folder with all of my supplies in is called 0_scrapsupplies (there are several sub folders within it) so I had the same name on my EHD. Then you go to file ---> sync ----> create sync. Unfortunately I can't remember what I did after that. I do know however that the info I used came from the digiscrapinfo site.

I hope theis helps you a little

The hd on my laptop is pretty full and logging down. I've have an ehd and have been backing up my ACDSee database on that and also another internal hd on my laptop; but now I need to seriously free up some space on my hd.

I know i read somewhere (but can't find it now) how some of you store all your digi files on your ehd and work off that. But I'm scared to take that step!!! I'm so afraid i will do something wrong and lose all my hard work. Can someone hold my hand and tell me it will be alright? LOL

Couple of questions...

1. when i do the database backup it compresses it on my ehd so I am guessing that I would need to extract all the files.

You don't need to do anything with the backup unless you're using the 'restore database' wizard in ACDSee PM. Just keep the last 3 or 4 handy and delete the older ones to free up space.

2. how do i delete the files on my laptop (ie.. where ta heck is the folder and what is it called?)

Before you delete anything, let's get it all working on the EHD and make sure ACDSee is happy with the database.

3. are you sure if i delete them on my laptop that the ones of my ehd will work?????

We will make sure it works before we delete anything but it's always best to keep a few backups handy. I backup weekly to my hard drive, monthly to a backup EHD, and burn a backup CD every 8-12 weeks or so. Depends on how much organizing I've been doing. That's a backup of just the organizing info though. I keep a backup of my kits on my EHD. I work off of my internal now but I have more space there than on my EHD. I know how to set up everything to run off of the EHD though and used to run mine that way.

Feel free to PM or chat me up...I'm scrapbook_designer on Windows Live and Yahoo (add an @tx.rr.com if it wants the whole addy) and I can walk you through it.

as you can probably tell, I know just enough to be dangerous about these things!

LOL...been there done that! Let's take this one step at a time. looking forward to hearing from you!

Kristi

Archived