Rounded Corners In Psp

SydneyScrapper

I have been struggling with this for weeks and I usually give up but this time I'm determined. I need to create boxes with rounded corners. If I use the preset shapes, there is a box with a rounded corner, but as I stretch out the box, the corner gets skewed. How can I stop this from happening?

TIA!

Steph,

There is a way to do this. Only I don't have PSP installed anymore, so I can't take you step-by-step. Vaughnde probably knows, but it's a little early in the day for her. And Dee would know, too. Dee has been ill lately, though, so she's been a bit absent.

If I had to guess, try holding your CTRL key down while dragging a corner, while it's still a vector layer. I "think" that's how to reshape something without skewing.

Here is an easier method. Make your regular squared rectangle, make sure it is selected then go to selections, modify, smooth (which is just a step above the last option in that drop down list) and choose how big or small you want the rounded corners to be. The highest number it goes to I think is 100 without looking at my PSP. I haven't opened it up this morning. Another thing I discovered and use a LOT is select all, float/defloat and the float/defloat selects the actual object rather than everything else and this also enables you to modify any photo or object without using vector. Its a favorite of mine and I use it constantly (probably should learn to write a script for that one someday!)

Ah! Didn't read close enough...preset shapes...hmmmm. Thats a vector image. I would put it in the way you want, then go where it is on the Layers Palette and right click it into a raster image. Then do the select all, float, defloat, modify and smooth. However I noticed (just played with it a few seconds ago) that if you use the rounded rectangle in the presets it only gets skewed if you hold down the ctrl or shift keys and pull on a corner. If you don't hold down either one of those keys and you pull on a corner its fine. But my advice would be to do the middle squares and it will work just fine. Don't hold down either shift or ctrl keys or you'd get some funky shapes! hehe.....

There are two different kinds of rounded rectangles...one up at the top tool that uses the selection tool (3rd tool down on left side assuming its the same in x2 as it is in x1) and those you have options of different types of rectangles in rastor mode. The preset are all vector. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry, I use PSPX2 (it's in my sig but I forgot to mention it).

What I'm trying to do is draw a long thin rectangle with rounded corners. I don't know any other way to do this other than using the preset shape.

I have tried just about everything. Including holding down CTRL and not holding down CTRL. Each time I stretch the rectangle, the corners get stretched and distorted.

I thought it might be something to do with being vector because then the lines will stretch from the nodes. I thought if I converted it to a raster image then it would just stretch properly, but again, it didn't!

Vaughnde, I didn't really understand about the "top tool" using the selection tool. I can make a beautiful rounded corner rectangle exactly how I want, with the selection tool (using the marquee set to "rounded rectangle"), but I don't know how to turn that into a drawing (or even if you can).

And I've yet to try the float/defloat thing, I'm not sure how smoothing will help but I'll give it a go.

Is there a way of drawing a rectangle that I've missed??

Oh Okay you want a long thin rectangle with rounded corners like as if you are making your own frame right? Okay in that case I would make your layout wider than higher to start off with. Go ahead and use that preset rounded rectangle tool. Before drawing your rectangle there is a line at the top for line width you can change that to how thick you want that line width, then draw your rectangle. Once its drawn, use your mouse to select one of the little boxes NOT AT THE CORNERS! but at either the bottom or side and draw it out to how long you want it to be. When that is done, then on the layers palette, do a right click and convert it to a raster image. Once you have your raster image, click on selections, select all, float, defloat (which will put the marching ants around your already rounded rectangle) then in the same selections select modify, go down to the bottom which is the last option called select selection borders and put in either a 2 or 5 and this will give you double marching ant lines which you can then fill in with your paint bucket tool to give you a frame. Does that make sense?

I hope that this helps and is what you want to do. If you want a long thin rectangle with rounded corners for another reason, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Vaughnde, thank you! I tried it the way you suggested pulling it at the top and bottom and sides, not the corners. It's better, but the corners are still stretched - as soon as you start to elongate, the corners lose their roundness and go skewed. It's quite frustrating.

Thank you for the instructions to make the border - I know I've used your instructions on those before and I definitely will again.

I can make a beautiful rounded corner rectangle exactly how I want, with the selection tool (using the marquee set to "rounded rectangle"), but I don't know how to turn that into a drawing (or even if you can).

1. Create a new raster layer and fill the layer with the color/pattern/design you want to use in your rounded rectangle.

2. Make sure the layer from step one is active.

3. Choose the selection tool with rounded corners and draw the rectangle that you want. (If you are using a pattern/photo for fill, make sure your rectangle selection is over the design you want. You can move the selection by Right-clicking and dragging the selection over the area you want to use.)

4. Go to the layer menu and choose "Promote Selection to Layer".

5. Delete the layer you created in step one (or turn off visibility) and you will have a layer with just the rectangle you wanted.

Archived