Help With A Template Mystery!

Bride

I am trying to use MRE_SS_LayoutTemplates_Faded in PSP XI and following the directions that came with the template. I have used it before – somewhat successfully when I did a swap LO for Kaye. When I say, "somewhat successful", while I was able to get the background on, it did not shade in the bg color, but remained black as seen on the link I provide here. swap for Kaye

Anyway – I'm trying to use this same product again and I cannot get the pictures to show through at all. In the 2 diagrams below, you see I have placed my pictures underneath the template as instructed. I then highlighted the template with my magic wand and then selected colorfill with my bg paper and the result is the second diagram. I have also tried inverting selection to see if that would help, but the results are basically the same. What step am I missing? Do I have a corrupted file? Has any other PSP users encountered the same issue and resolved/not resolved?? I was hoping to use this on a calendar page but may be running out of time. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! Thanks!!

I don't have those ones Lei...what did the instructions say that came with it?

Ummm can you also do a hue/saturation/lightness and just lighten the black to a medium gray and see how that works? I would make a copy of the template, do the above then put the photo on top of it and follow the directions as normal and see how that works. I'll put up MSN if you wanna talk real time or Yahoo Messenger.

I don't have those ones Lei...what did the instructions say that came with it?

Ummm can you also do a hue/saturation/lightness and just lighten the black to a medium gray and see how that works? I would make a copy of the template, do the above then put the photo on top of it and follow the directions as normal and see how that works. I'll put up MSN if you wanna talk real time or Yahoo Messenger.

TY V for responding. I didn't see this until after 11 PM ... I had company tonight. Anyway, I am using the instructions that came with the template - but they are also the same as found in the university here http://www.scrapgirls.com/select_and_fill_...ates_in_psp.htm For some reason when using the magic wand it is not selecting all the black area, but just that little smidge of an area as seen in the second diagram on the original post. If I put the photo on top of the template, then I lose the fading ... which is the whole reason I bought the template. Make sense?

Lei, I don't have PSP but I think it might be that same as in PDE. Do you have the Contiguous box checked? If it is, that might be what is keeping the magic wand from selecting all the black. You also might need to check what Tolerance you have it set at. HTH

Lei, I don't have PSP but I think it might be that same as in PDE. Do you have the Contiguous box checked? If it is, that might be what is keeping the magic wand from selecting all the black. You also might need to check what Tolerance you have it set at. HTH

Contiguous box is not checked, Pat, but thanks for the heads-up on that one as I would not have thought to check it. I will say, I have tried using other masks and having no issues with them - the black areas are being selected and recolored with no issues.

Have you tried using "New Mask Layer from Image" on your layout with the photos, while keeping the Faded layout template open as a second image?

Using PSP-X2, I would try

1. Choose your photo layout, but have the layout template open

2. Go to Layers>>New Mask Layer>>From Image

3. Source window: choose the layout template file

4. Choose "Source Opacity"

If the fading looks "backward", undo/redo choosing "Invert mask data"

I don't have the template set you are using, but I think this might work for you. Quite often, when I use a "Mask Layer from image", I'll put a solid white layer behind the layer I'm masking because the mask creates a partially opaque layer.

Hi there Bride,

I do not have PSP so I am not the best person to ask. It looks like they worked in the first image you showed?

I seem to remember a technique about filling a shape with a photo... is that the magic wand technique you are talking about? Maybe a PSP expert will be around to help us out! ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived