Pspx2 Sooo Slow! Any Ideas?

kenzirhea

So I have been using Xi for a long time and never had issues with it lagging behind several seconds, but now that I have X2 (had it for several months now, but haven't scrapped in months either, as things have been crazy busy plus overdue for a break anyway!) I realized how SLOW everything is moving. . .I don't know if it's an error with the program itself, or if I need to have my laptop overhauled. Any ideas? I never get any warning or error messages - just takes several seconds - sometimes minutes - for it to follow through processes (even to 'undo' takes quite a bit of time). Any hints or secrets or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Teresa

The only thing I can suggest is to just go through the usual methods of clearing your temporary internet files, doing a scan disk and defraging your hard drive if it needs it. It seems I used to have a problem with the organizer, so I don't use it so much now. And when I do, I make sure to CLOSE the organizer before closing the program. This seems to help. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times for various reasons.

This, of course, is assuming that you have lots of memory in RAM, what operating system you're running, etc. I have Vista, PSP X2 and I have 4GB RAM.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!

Sarah is right...and you should upgrade RAM anyway.

i have Xi and I upgraded RAM to 2.4gb. If I ever go up to X2 then I'll upgrade RAM to 4gb first. Considering I was in 9 for 3 years before installing xi...it may take me awhile before I get x2 hehe....

I would definitely check your virtual memory settings. This adjustment can make a world of difference.

1. Right click on "My Computer" and choose properties

2. Click on the "Advanced" Tab

3. Click on settings button for "Performance"

4. Click on the "Advanced" Tab again

5. Click on the change button for "Virtual Memory"

6. In the bottom section of the window, there will be an allocated number and a recommended number. The allocated number should be at least as large as the recommended number. You can change this setting just above where it tells the current settings.

I have a really old laptop and, even with my virtual memory set high, I have to clear the history on my layouts often or I crash. If you can live without the "Undo" feature, clear your history (or close your layout) every once in a while. Also, empty your clipboard right after pasting a large graphic into a layout. This will help your computer's performance.

I would definitely check your virtual memory settings. This adjustment can make a world of difference.

6. In the bottom section of the window, there will be an allocated number and a recommended number. The allocated number should be at least as large as the recommended number. You can change this setting just above where it tells the current settings.

I have a really old laptop and, even with my virtual memory set high, I have to clear the history on my layouts often or I crash. If you can live without the "Undo" feature, clear your history (or close your layout) every once in a while. Also, empty your clipboard right after pasting a large graphic into a layout. This will help your computer's performance.

Thanks to all for the help so far - I've double checked my virtual memory and it was already set as you had indicated. I am in the process of uninstalling stuff that is taking up space and no longer needed or hasn't been used in over a year! I'm going to defrag when i'm all done with this.....and then maybe I can upgrade my RAM when I'm all done. DH wants me to get an external harddrive for all my scrapbooking stuff - think this will do the trick?? I don't know much about computer terminology etc, just how to use them - I can't fix 'em! haha

Another option is to check what processes automatically open when you start your computer. For example, the auto-sync program for my palm pilot automatically loads at start-up and it's a huge chunk of memory for a process I use once every couple of days. When I'm going to crop, I ctrl-alt-delete and close that program, opening up that memory for other stuff. There are about 5 programs that I can close that auto-load. I also deactivate my anti-virus if I'm absolutely sure I won't go on-line. Theoretically, if it's on my hard drive, the A/V program has already checked it and deemed it safe. My A/V program sucks memory big time.

Thanks to all for the help so far - I've double checked my virtual memory and it was already set as you had indicated. I am in the process of uninstalling stuff that is taking up space and no longer needed or hasn't been used in over a year! I'm going to defrag when i'm all done with this.....and then maybe I can upgrade my RAM when I'm all done. DH wants me to get an external harddrive for all my scrapbooking stuff - think this will do the trick?? I don't know much about computer terminology etc, just how to use them - I can't fix 'em! haha

If you have donot enough RAM{memory} your pc will use your hard drive free space

to run some things.

If thier is no free space hardly your pc will be slow not just PSP.

It will help if you move your photos and scrapstuff to a nice big external drive

More memory always is good.

We have 4 gig and Vista on this laptop.

• 1 month later...

Archived