Kindle

Guest zachsmommy

Guest zachsmommy

I'm skeptical of it because I LOVE LOVE LOVE books themselves, and I don't so much love reading off of a screen, but would love to hear people's thoughts/experiences with it...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL Kim. I'm probably the only one here who owns a Kindle, at least as far as I know, but I am more than happy to share my thoughts.

I, too, am an avid book lover, from the time I was a kid. I love to read, love books of all kinds, and I have shelves-full. But I don't miss them a bit. In fact, I can't imagine reading a DTB (dead tree book to us Kindle-lovers ;)) ever again. The Kindle really does make it so easy to read. I am reading more than ever, faster than ever, and have found many different authors I would never have found otherwise. The thing I love most, probably, is the fact that I can download samples of books from Amazon and get a feel for the book/author/writing before I ever purchase the book.

You mentioned that you don't like reading off a screen. Reading the Kindle isn't like reading on your computer. The screen is not back-lit, which means you do need other light to read by, just like with a book. The technology that is used for most eBook readers is called e Ink technology, which makes the Kindle look like you're reading print on paper. It's very easy on the eyes.

The Kindle also allows you to get the completely immersive experience that you get while reading a book. Many people fear that they won't be able to get past the idea of what they're reading on to get totally into the story like they do with a regular book. I can say that from the very start, I had no problem getting totally immersed in what I was reading. It really is like reading from a book, only tons easier. As I said, I read everywhere (not the shower, tho. ;)) Because I don't have to hold the book open, it frees me to do other things while I'm reading. I read while I fold clothes. I read while peeling potatoes (gotta watch my hands a little bit more with that, tho. ;)) I read while brushing my teeth and drying my hair.

I also love the ease of getting books. One click at Amazon and I've downloaded a book to my Kindle, and it comes within seconds. I can be practically any place and do this, even when we're out on the kayak. You can change font sizes, and you can even set the thing so that it turns pages automatically! How cool is that!

Now, let me see if I can think of some cons - it is expensive. But the prices of books for the Kindle is cheaper than DTB. Some by quite a bit. People often have trouble with the page turning buttons when they first get it. But once you get used to where they are, it's not a big deal. Amazon is supposed to be coming out with Version 2 soon, which will probably deal with that issue. Um....other cons....I'm thinking....I'm thinking.... Nope, can't come up with any more cons. :D

So, let me know if you have any more specific questions than my rave here. I'm always happy to talk about my Kindle. :D

Very interesting Jan. I have downloaded ebooks to my Palm III but I hadn't heard

of the Kindle. Thanks Kim for starting this thread. I am going to check it out.

I love books. But with being on the road so much & moving around cause of DH's work, it

is more cumbersome with a lot of books and difficult to go to the library.

This would be ideal.

Thanks Ladies!

I've looked at the Kindle and really like the idea, but there's no way to get one down here without paying HUGE import taxes on it; so I'll wait for now! Thanks for the review, Jan. It's always good to hear what others think.

Ok, great idea, but I'll wait until the price is more reasonable. I know the cost of the books is a savings, but still pretty darn pricey. That said from someone who has spent about $3000 in the last six months on new laptop, camera, tablet, and scanner. Now I get chintzy. go figure. Its got to end somewhere.

LOL Sandi - priorities, priorities. :D It is pricey, but soo worth every penny, IMO. I'm sure the price will continue to come down, but one thing to keep in mind is that the Kindle price includes the cellular service that's used to send the books to the Kindle wirelessly. There are no extra fees, except for paying for the books themselves, of course. ;)

Lisa - that's an absolutely ridiculous amount to pay for an eBook! When you figure in that there are no hard-copy publishing costs, to shipping costs, no stocking costs, really. That's what I love about the Kindle. The books are usually much lower than the hard copy (DTB) version. New releases come out at $9.99 and go down from there.

Cynthia - that's too bad about the import taxes. I've heard the same about shipping to Canada. In fact, Amazon won't do it. Someone had to order one and have it sent to her in-laws in the states, who will then send it to her.

Becca - why would reading in bed be a con? You don't need your desktop with the Kindle. The Kindle is a small hand-held device that you read on. It's very light-weight, is about 5 inches by 9 inches and about 1/4 inch thick. Believe me, it's perfect for reading in bed! Easier than a book any day! :)

Linda - you will love the Kindle! It will make reading and traveling sooo much easier for you!

Kerry - I'm not sure how it would all work, but a lot of libraries already have eBooks. Mike just checked out the New York Public Library, just to see. They have eBooks in a version that you can email to your Kindle. I checked our own local library and they have some as well. Not a bunch, but I'll bet it's a category that will grow and grow. When you get a Kindle, you have an email address assigned to your account - whatever@kindle.com. So if you get eBooks from places other than Amazon (and there are a TON of places to get eBooks, and a lot of free ones, too), you can email them to your Kindle. It's a breeze to do, actually. Kerry, you may want to check out your local library and see what they have in the way of eBooks. If they have them, and they are in a format called MobiPocket, then they can be read on the Kindle. If the format is in PDF, Kindle can't read it, but it can be converted by Amazon (using the Kindle.com addy I mentioned before). But Mike says that a lot of time PDF-formatted books don't convert well to the Kindle.

I'm loving everyone's questions! Hope I've given you some more food for thought. :) Oh, and just FYI, if any of you are seriously considering buying one now, be prepared to wait. I believe they still have a waiting list till March. Oprah has a Kindle and announced on her show a couple of weeks before Christmas just how much she loves it. She had Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon on, too. So, between that and people buying Kindles for Christmas, there is a back-log of orders. You can get refurbished ones for slightly cheaper, but they come and go fairly quickly.

I was against the idea until I really read about it. Now I think it's awesome. I will still keep many DTB (first I heard that LOL) but I'm looking forward to the convenience of the Kindle someday. Thanks for the review!

After my last post, I put up a piece of paper on an easel for my son and realized that electronic devices are not going to replace paper. Just like we still use paper for writing and drawing, despite having computers for that, we'll still have paper books, even with the Kindle. Computers are just another wonderful option.

I keep going back to Amazon and looking at it. I am putting this on the list of things I will consider very carefully. Usually, when I get an idea like this, I look at what's available, read some reviews, reconsider, think again, look at the "toy" budget, think about it somemore, then one morning I wake up, decide I can't live without it and get online and have it ordered before I've had my first cup of coffee. Have a feeling I'm moving to that morning pretty quickly.

LOL Sandi. Let me know when that morning comes, and I'll celebrate with you! Just remember, there is a wait on delivery. If you'd like more info on the Kindle, a more personal look into people using it than what you can get at Amazon, I invite you to visit KindleBoards.com. It's a wonderful board for all things Kindle, from Tips and Tricks for using it, how to solve problems, tons of book recommendations and Book Klubs, too (K for the Kindle. :D)

Reyn, all of the books that you buy at Amazon are stored in your account on a server at Amazon. So any time you want to re-read something, you just visit the Digital Media section of your account and re-send the book to your Kindle. You can also do it right on your Kindle, of course, via what is called the Content Manager. The Kindle also has a slot for an SD card, in case you need more memory for it. :)

That's very true, Michele. The Kindle content is still all black and white, so it's really not something you would use for books with lots of pretty pictures in it. You can get quite a few newspapers and magazines delivered to your Kindle as well. I could see reading a newspaper on it, but not a magazine. The graphics just wouldn't be as pretty. I have no doubt, tho, that the future of wireless reading will take us there. It won't be long before they figure out how to do color, and how to do it beautifully. :)

Guest zachsmommy

Thanks for the information, Jan...it sounds pretty cool the way you describe it. I've never really looked at it at Amazon, so maybe it warrants further exploration....and someday....... I'll keep an open mind. :)

I wanted to get a Kindle, but due to living in Canada and them not selling them here I got a Sony ebook instead. Its pretty much the same as a kindle just made by a different company. I love it. For me there was a bit of an adjustment getting used to reading on it as opposed to a regular book, but now it's great. I love being able to get books without having to leave my house. And I love that they don't take up any space. I have over 130 books on my ebook, think how much room 130 books would take up. The only draw back for me is that I don't get to read on it as much as I would like because my DS (13) always has it when he's at home.

Jan,

if a book were emailed to me by a library, how would I get it into my Kindle? (is there a cable to hook up to the computer?) I don't have wireless.

This really brings up some interesting possibilities... no need to use my local libary if the books are emailed to me! I could join whatever library had the best selection...

hmmmmm......

I was just telling my DH about this. I think it would be great for him and my BIL. He is reading about it on his laptop right now. It may be something that we consider for us sometime soon also. I am going to let my MIL know in case she wants to get it for my BIL as a gift. He is really hard to buy for as his is a if I want it I buy it kind of guy. He lives here in Dallas and telecommutes to Washington each week for work. I think he would love it! His bday is in Feb, but it may still be on BO then.

I was about to ask this question but my DH found the answer so I thought I would share it. If you and your DH or for example my Mom (who we like the same type books) are registered to the same Amazon account you can share books. It says it works for up to 6 kindles per account. Magazines, Newspapers and Blogs can only be sent to one Kindle. FYI!

Yep, that's right, Lisa! That's pretty cool, too, isn't it!

Kerry, it does come with a USB cord, so that is one way, but you can also email to your Kindle using the Kindle.com email addy you would be assigned.

You don't need to have wireless in your house, tho. The Kindle comes with its own cellular service called Whispernet. (It's included in the price, so no additional fees for that.) This is a cellular service that Amazon has worked out with Sprint, I believe, so it works just like a cell phone does. Where there is cellular service, you can download wirelessly to your Kindle. :)

Lisa, when I checked the amazon site this morning it says it ships in 5-7 weeks. There are used ones for sale with a wide price range, up to $600!!!!! I'll wait for a new one. If I decide to get it. Looks pretty cool. Not a lot of my favorite authors though. Still a wide variety of books. Jan, how quickly are kindle books available once the DTB is released?

Immediately, Sandi. And if you preorder, once the clock strikes midnight on the day of its release, the book will be available for download.

Sandi, what are some of your favorite authors. I can ask over on the KindleBoards and see if anyone knows of other resources for them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable over there. Kinda like here! :D

So its sorta like a blackberry with texting except you read books instead? I've actually been thinking of getting the blackberry with texting capabilities because its also compatible with ip-relay aka online computer relay services for actual voice phone calls. Thats what I use via my computer for stuff like calling my parents, friends, family and sometimes the occassional pizza delivery. But if there was ever an emergency...I'm stuck!

Ok, I've just spent an hour or so purusing everything I could find on the kindle. I've decided to get it but need to double check the budget before I order. I'll let you know when I order it. The one question I didn't see addressed anywhere is since its a wireless device, is it not allowed on airplanes. Seems like it would be the perfect way to travel light but still with lots of books available. But since it works like cell phones, is it allowed? One of my last reservations.

Archived