Ehd Protocol

Since I bought my EHD, it was just hooked up to my desktop computer. No hooking up, unhooking. Since my desktop is down at the moment, I am using it on my dh's laptop. It only has two usb ports and he has one used by a mouse and one by a printer. I have to undo the printer from it's electrical outlet and unplug the usb anytime I want to plug in my EHD. I assume that I should always do this when the computer is off? Does it hurt anything if I do it when the computer is on? Does it matter if I plug in the electric supply before the usb or vice versa?

TIA

Pat,

its safer to do it while its off...then shut down before unplugging. If there is an emergency you can unplug but for safety sake I would rather you do it while its off....not only to save the computer but also your ehd.

What do you mean by Electric Supply? Do you mean something like a battery power backup?

I add and remove usb things constantly. You can get a USB Hub. It Plugs into one of the usb sites and can add 2-6 more usb driven products. I keep one plugged into my laptop with my mouse and printer connected to it. I directly connect my EHD to the computer.

The best way to disconnect an EHD or Thumbdrive is to go to Your computer and right click on it, choose Eject or disconnect. If that is not an option you can simply pull it out. That said one of the best things about Vista is you don't HAVE to use safe disconnect like XP.

HTH

Archived