About Auto Sync Programs

I know Amy shared something she learned the other day, so I felt I should do the same.

most of you know I got a new machine the other week. Im still in the process of moving things where I want them to be ETC. on my old machine, I used an internal and backed it to an external USB hardrive. i just used the memeo auto sync that came on it (which i HATE). i never thought about switching to another program b/c well, it did to its job so i wasnt too concerned about it.

i pulled a 1TB internal from my old machine and transferred it to my new one. i was peeping around in it last night. since in changing the way i backup my files (switching to a nas), i unhide the memeo folder on my hard drive and was looking around it it. i came across and recycle bin and opened it. there was 400 GIGS of duplicate files. what???! i dont even know how long theyve been there, the whole time ive been using this system i suppose. i deleted it and i suddenly have another 400 gigs i thought i didnt! that just blew my mind.

i wanted to share in case anyone else uses this software. ;)

WOW! That's scary! I've always transferred over the old fashioned way...Long ago there used to be a program where you could connect two usb wires and do a transfer from one computer to the other....I can't even remember the name now but it did its job well without duplicating files. Now this was way back when Win 3.1 was in effect in the early 90's. Sometimes I wish we still had that since it was so effective then. Now? Who knows!

I was using memeo as well as part of the Seagate deal . I realized that it made doble or triple or more copies of everything unless I told it otherwise!! UGH! This week I wiped it all clean clean clean and started over!

I checked out Jo's recommendation on the www.goodsync.com. So far, I'm sold, and I think it solves all my autoback up problems. I need to send Jo a great big thank you!!

memeo.......pfffffffffffffffff I hated that programme. thanks for your ideas Amanda, i'm gonna go back and check out if I have hidden stuff lurking that I can delete and free up more space.

Amy, my pleasure, I love my goodsync and am glad I could help.

OK now I am going to have to check on this myself as it came on my WD EHD and I have not looked at any of the back up files since the fall. Thanks for the heads up Amanda!

Hi Amy, thanks for sharing your experience using Memeo AutoSync. I wanted to briefly explain why Memeo creates duplicate files. Any time a file is edited, files are synced and previous versions of the file are removed and placed in the recycle bin in case you make a mistake and need to go back to a previous version. You can periodically delete files from the recycle bin to clear them out, (similar to the recycle bin on your computer) but it’s an added feature to help keep your latest files, photos and more on all of your computers. Hopefully this helps to explain the duplicate files you encountered. Feel free to reach Memeo at cs@memeo.com for questions/comments.

Ashley@memeo

• 3 months later...

I was trying to use Syntoy, but for the inital backup it was taking over 3 hours!! It was extremely slow. So then I just quit that and directly saved all my files to the backup EHD that was not even a fraction as long as the backup. So I'm wondering is goodsyn faster?

Archived