Getting My First Dslr!

michgirl

With butterflies in my stomach, I just ordered a Canon Rebel T1i with two lens, starter kit (extra battery, bag, UV Filter, High capacity SD card).... I think I got a good deal at Best Buy, they had the whole package on sale this week.

I read Sandy's post from last year about this time when she got her Rebel Xsi and I think I am having all of the same fears and doubts that follow taking such a plunge, I know I won't regret it, but I am scared to death!

This is my first step away from the P & S, I have a Canon G7 which is an advanced P&S, with lots of the options that the Ti1 will have, so I am a tiny bit on my way - so much to learn.... :hit-head-with-hammer:

Well, I am nervous as heck and needed to say that! Can't wait to learn from all of you experienced camera gurus out there! Will be hanging out here, that's for sure.

Thanks for letting me let loose this nervous energy!

Robin, you'll love your T1i. Its a great way to jump into the DSLR world. There are a couple of guides I'd recommend (Amazon or Barnes & Noble). One is the Magic lantern Guide. Its more complete and much easier to understand than the manual that comes with the camera. Canon could do better with the manuals. The other is The Digital Field Guide. That one has more about photography and how to use your camera, not only technically, but artistically as well. I'm really excited for you and I know you'll be thrilled to play with it. Make sure to show us some photos. (yeah, not like me who has yet to download anything. LOL)

Overwhelemed and scared - that's what I am feeling :disappearing-smilie:

But all in a good way - and knowing there's great support here helps to calm the nerves a bit. I am very excited about learning it and know this is going to be so exciting.

Sandi, I will definitely be getting one of those books, I have SK's Digital Photography, but I want something that clearly explains each and every function of my camera. So that's the first thing I will order on Amazon, thanks for the suggestions.

I hope to get a couple of days of practice in before Christmas.... thanks, Girls, for your support and looking forward to posting questions!

Oppps.... guess the first thing I better learn is what camera I am getting :embarrassed003:

I just edited my first post, I had incorrectly called it a Canon Ti1 and it should be T1i (Sandi had it correct, thanks, Sandi!)

Ok - so first I learn the name of my camera and then how to turn it on... :walkinghelmet:

It finally SHIPPED! :2468who-do-we-appreciate: I was holding my breath, as not too long after I ordered it, the status of the kit became "not available for shipping", so I was afraid it would be cancelled...

Now I am off to order my books, didn't want to jinx the order by getting the books until I knew for sure.... :disappearing-smilie:

Hoping to get my camera in time to practice before Christmas - I will be back with questions :party-smiley-048:

Thanks, April - I am sure I will love it - I am thinking it will be here Monday! YES!

I ordered The Field Book suggested above, and the Magic Lantern Guide is available in a multimedia edition and comes with two DVDs. I am excited about that, I can watch somebody show me exactly how do to do it....

Can't wait - thanks all and look so forward to all the tips and help from here - you all are GREAT! :having-a-party:

Congratulations, Robin! My first SLR (this was a film camera, before the advent of digital camers) was a Canon Rebel; I loved it and took some amazing photos with it just using the automatic settings.

So have fun learning, and we'll look forward to seeing some of your photos!

Robin, congratulations! You're going to love this camera. I got my Canon T1i just about 3 weeks ago - we can learn together! Like you, I had an advanced Point & Shoot (a Canon S5IS) so I was used to changing some of the settingts and understood basic things like aperture, shutter speeds and ISO. But this camera has so much more.

Sandi gave you excellent advice about the books. I bought the Field Guide so I could read, and study, but it really all came togther with the Magic Lantern multi media - I love to be able to watch the DVDs, with my camera in my hand following along. Like I said, you are going to love it!

It it marvelous in low light! Which was one of my main concerns - I hate to use flash.

Can't wait until you get it! Keep us updated.

Robin, congratulations! You're going to love this camera. I got my Canon T1i just about 3 weeks ago - we can learn together! Like you, I had an advanced Point & Shoot (a Canon S5IS) so I was used to changing some of the settingts and understood basic things like aperture, shutter speeds and ISO. But this camera has so much more.

Sandi gave you excellent advice about the books. I bought the Field Guide so I could read, and study, but it really all came togther with the Magic Lantern multi media - I love to be able to watch the DVDs, with my camera in my hand following along. Like I said, you are going to love it!

It it marvelous in low light! Which was one of my main concerns - I hate to use flash.

Can't wait until you get it! Keep us updated.

GREAT, Sarah, thanks! Glad to hear that you got the same books/DVDs and they are helpful! Will look forward to hearing what you have to say and tips. It's exciting to know that we have the same camera and can learn together!

I had pretty much decided to buy the Xsi, and happened to be at Best Buy's web site and their ad this week featured the T1i, complete with the two lens, bag, extra battery, starter kit and the entire price was only $50 more than the Xsi with less stuff. Now I am excited I went with this one, as I was checking out some video stuff and it looks like it does an awesome job with video too.

Can't wait to see some of your pictures, Sarah!

HI Robin,

When I took the plunge into my Canon XSi (which I love) one booklet that was really helpful to me was Dinny Miller's, Digital Photography Simplified. It is not a "Canon manual", but a fantastic guide to the basics of photography. Shutter speed, aperture, depth of field,etc. and how it all combines in various settings to take great pictures.

You can get it here at Scrapgirls, and here is the link: Digital Photography Simplified

Hope this helps! Have fun with the new camera!

Ok, I'll try to post some photos later today. I got a video for my 7D from Blue Crane Digital that is really making the change easier....sort of the digital camera equivalent of Ro's "Secrets" for scrapping. Igot the digital field guide yesterday, the magic lantern guide hasn't been released yet, but I have one preordered. should be coming out this week I think. I tried to do the family photos, for my kids the other day, but since I was unfamiliar with the new camera, I don't think I got as good as I would have liked, but some were ok enough to use. I'm getting ready to process them now and make CD for the kids. So Bobbie and I are learning our 7Ds and Sraah and Robin are learning their T1i's, We need a camera club here. LOL

HI Robin,

When I took the plunge into my Canon XSi (which I love) one booklet that was really helpful to me was Dinny Miller's, Digital Photography Simplified. It is not a "Canon manual", but a fantastic guide to the basics of photography. Shutter speed, aperture, depth of field,etc. and how it all combines in various settings to take great pictures.

You can get it here at Scrapgirls, and here is the link: Digital Photography Simplified

Hope this helps! Have fun with the new camera!

Thanks, Susie, for the recommendation! Actually I just recently purchased that and have been reading it, trying to grasp it. Think once I get my new camera, and actually try it at the same time, I will be amazed! Can't wait!

Sandi is right, we need a Camera Club! And I am looking forward to seeing this pictures Sandi posts! Can't wait to start learning it all!

Good for you. I took the plunge last year and haven't regretted it at all! I had a 35 mm SLR and have missed the clarity of it since I went digital with a nice Kodak. I love My Canon Rebel Xsi!! This year I bought myself the Extra flash and it makes all the difference!!

Good for you. I took the plunge last year and haven't regretted it at all! I had a 35 mm SLR and have missed the clarity of it since I went digital with a nice Kodak. I love My Canon Rebel Xsi!! This year I bought myself the Extra flash and it makes all the difference!!

Thanks, Patsy! What flash did you get? I recently purchased the Speedlite 270EX for my Canon G7 and loved the results. It will work with my T1i, but wasn't sure if it was "enough" - Thanks!

I am already sure the first new lens I buy is going to be the "nifty fifty".... this is about to be addicting, I can tell....

And to think, this all started a few years ago when I decided to learn Photoshop Elements. Before that it was just printing 4 x 6 prints after editing with MS Picture It!

Since then it's been CS3, CS4, upgrade scanner, wide-format printer, upgrade printer, plug-ins for CS4, lots and lots and lots of Scrapbooking Supplies.... and now the camera... :dancingelephant:

Thanks, Patsy! What flash did you get? I recently purchased the Speedlite 270EX for my Canon G7 and loved the results. It will work with my T1i, but wasn't sure if it was "enough" - Thanks!

I am already sure the first new lens I buy is going to be the "nifty fifty".... this is about to be addicting, I can tell....

And to think, this all started a few years ago when I decided to learn Photoshop Elements. Before that it was just printing 4 x 6 prints after editing with MS Picture It!

Since then it's been CS3, CS4, upgrade scanner, wide-format printer, upgrade printer, plug-ins for CS4, lots and lots and lots of Scrapbooking Supplies.... and now the camera... :dancingelephant:

enjoy and have fun learning new things... buying new things.... and scrapping

we should form a canon group here ...

Ooooooooo I'm so excited for you to get started! Wish I would have seen this earlier! :lol: I started out with the film version of the canon rebel too, just like Keary Veale, and switched to the Canon XT and never looked back! You're going to love it, and if you have any questions, just ask... I've upgraded my camera and have a few lenses as well as the nifty fifty, which I used when I took photos for my ds engagement album... it's in my gallery link in my siggy if you want to see it, LOOK for Eric and Kristin's first year together, and most of the outdoor shots were with the nifty fifty lens.... Of course I've gotten better at editing since then too, so keep that in mind... :lol:

I would love to have a flas also, I got ebay reminders everyday for the nifty fifty so when I get my money, saved up you know what I am getting LOL.

I have bought several filter lens and absolutely love them! ebay of course!! dirt cheep don't regret a single 25 total purchases on all 6 filters LOL

Oh yea sign me up with the camera group too! <giggle> I would love to hang out with you ladies!!

Rosemary - checked out the album - terrific shots! They look so professional - yes, I will order that nifty fifty after I recover from the holiday spending! I can't wait to progress and get better.

Found a really useful website today and tried a few shots using some of the creative modes - it was great to see the effects. I can see how you keep on going and growing with the world of DSLR, I am so happy I joined it!

Thanks to all and will keep watching this forum for all of the tips I can get!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sarah -

The link is http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html - it is a link for beginners, but I am a beginner!

I took many lovely Christmas photos today and really watched what my camera did - off to play and rest after a long Christmas Day!

Hope everyone had a very wonderful Christmas.

Robin - you are going to love your new camera - I have the same one - Sandi is the camera guru though so she can tell you all about it - I now need the telephoto lens to go with mine but pricing them - AAARGH! So much money - did yours come with one?

Archived