Photographing Disney

Guest Debbie F.

Guest Debbie F.

I just found out that next year, after Thanksgiving, I am going to Disney. I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on getting great photos at Disney or if anyone knows of books, blogs, etc. that has tips/advice on getting great photos. I know it is a year away, but I want to practice before I get there. I'm not real proficient at using my Nikon D60 yet.

Thanks.

Debbie F.

Nothing like being prepared. I've got tons of Disney photos and my biggest advice is have lots of cards. Things move fast and sometimes you don't get a chance to really set up a great shot, but if you take lots of photos, you'll get some good ones. throughout the parks, there are signs for photo shots that help you and there are photographers stationed at some of the best places. Of course they take the photos and sell them to you, but if you watch what they do, you can get your own shots nearby,maybe just a little different angle. My DIL works at animal kingdom, I'll see if she know of any guides for photography for the parks.

Congratulations on planning your trip. Just hang out on the Disney site, look at their photos and then you'll have an idea of what to look for when you're there. If my DIL has any suggestions I'll be sure to let you know.

Guest Debbie F.

Nothing like being prepared. I've got tons of Disney photos and my biggest advice is have lots of cards. Things move fast and sometimes you don't get a chance to really set up a great shot, but if you take lots of photos, you'll get some good ones. throughout the parks, there are signs for photo shots that help you and there are photographers stationed at some of the best places. Of course they take the photos and sell them to you, but if you watch what they do, you can get your own shots nearby,maybe just a little different angle. My DIL works at animal kingdom, I'll see if she know of any guides for photography for the parks.

Congratulations on planning your trip. Just hang out on the Disney site, look at their photos and then you'll have an idea of what to look for when you're there. If my DIL has any suggestions I'll be sure to let you know.

I appreciate your response. I envy your DIL. If I lived down there, I would definitely try and get a job there. Any tips she has would be appreciate. One more question for you....what type lens did you take? I'm debating between my Nikon with 1 (maybe 2) lens or my Canon which has telephoto along with other modes.

I used a my canon with 28-200 zoom. I'm not so sure the I wouldn't have liked to have had a maybe the kit lens with it as well, but you get really, really tired dragging those around with you all day and getting jostled in the crowds, etc. having a little zoom was good, and that lens isn't too heavy. One thing I did do that was really helpful was to get a neoprene neck strap. that is so much more comfortable for lugging a camera around all day, the one I has has two little pockets on the strap for extra memory cards. I just love it, found it at a camera store for about $25. One of the best accessories for my camera I've ever had. for any indoor photography there, you need to turn off the flash. There were times when I wished I had my monopod with me for those lower light situations. Oh, well, I wouldn't have wanted to tote that around either. I sent an email off to my DIL and she'll be here for the holidays, so hopefully I can get you some more info.

I just googled photography at disney and got some really cool links. I don't think I can post them here, but you will find some great ideas and recommendations for equipment and beautiful examples of photos. Its truly inspiring.

Guest Debbie F.

I used a my canon with 28-200 zoom. I'm not so sure the I wouldn't have liked to have had a maybe the kit lens with it as well, but you get really, really tired dragging those around with you all day and getting jostled in the crowds, etc. having a little zoom was good, and that lens isn't too heavy. One thing I did do that was really helpful was to get a neoprene neck strap. that is so much more comfortable for lugging a camera around all day, the one I has has two little pockets on the strap for extra memory cards. I just love it, found it at a camera store for about $25. One of the best accessories for my camera I've ever had. for any indoor photography there, you need to turn off the flash. There were times when I wished I had my monopod with me for those lower light situations. Oh, well, I wouldn't have wanted to tote that around either. I sent an email off to my DIL and she'll be here for the holidays, so hopefully I can get you some more info.

I just googled photography at disney and got some really cool links. I don't think I can post them here, but you will find some great ideas and recommendations for equipment and beautiful examples of photos. Its truly inspiring.

Thanks so much. I'll look for that neck strap.

I have a little "table" tripod...the legs retract into the tube of the tripod - it's not too bulky to carry (about the size of a purse umbrella) - that might be a good thing to take, especially if you want to get some good shots of the fireworks...

Sometimes the PhotoPass photographers will even use your camera to take pictures if you ask them to. They've done that for me before. I will say though, especially if you have small children with you, lugging around a big camera can be a real pain in the rear. If you have a point and shoot make sure you bring it along as well. If you are there for multiple days you might find that you leave the big camera in the hotel. I go to Disneyland (Anahaim) a lot and more often then not I don't bring in the big camera. If I know we're going to be doing something I want good shots for (like when my dd was doing the Jedi Training Academy) then I brought the big one and the telephoto. Remember too that you want to enjoy the experience and sometimes Mom's get stuck watching it happen from behind the lens. So don't forget to enjoy your trip too! I always get the PhotoPass cd (about $60 for a cd with all the photos and a copywrite release!) so I make sure to have every PhotoPass photo taken of me & my family (otherwise you wouldn't ever know I was there!) I can to make it worth the money. I almost always have 60 - 100 photos that way from each trip. Just remember that the photos expire after 30 days so you need to order the cd when you get home before you forget. biggrin.gif If you're going to DW Florida then there are MANY more opportunities for PhotoPass photos so the cd tends to be worth the money. (My sister is a regular at all parks on both coasts and she does the DW pass every time.)

Just talked with my DIL...the one who works at Animal Kingdom. She said that on the park maps the kodak photo spots are marked. And she will look to see if there are any photography guides available. I'll loet you know if she comes up with anything.

Guest Debbie F.

Just talked with my DIL...the one who works at Animal Kingdom. She said that on the park maps the kodak photo spots are marked. And she will look to see if there are any photography guides available. I'll loet you know if she comes up with anything.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Deb

Bring a waterproof bag that will be big enough to protect your sensitive items! Or several smaller bags, if that works better for you. Some of the best rides are WET!

My most recent visit involved two cameras...a digital point and shoot in two zip lock bags, and a single-use waterproof film camera for the wet rides.

There are digital cameras now that are water resistant. If a new camera for the visit is an option, perhaps you could look into those?

Archived