Photoshop Or Elements

fran

I am thinking of upgrading my program (I have PSE original) and I'm wondering what the difference is between photoshop and photoshop elements besides the price!

I think my focus will be on scrapbooking, however I might want to do things for work (I'm a teacher). Does anyone have a preference between the two?

Fran, I have both PSE3 and PhotoshopCS. While there really is alot of difference between the two programs. Photoshop is a much more powerful program and you have alot more control over the outcome of your product/design. I have to say if my main use of it was to scrapbook with and do some other odds and ends with I would stay with PSE. Your able to do almost everything in it (even when i'm designing I will do 99% of my work in elements then open the file in CS to add those special touches to it) and obviously the cost is much better.

Also did you know you can go to www.adobe.com and download a free 30 day trial of Photoshop and/or Photoshop Elements. That might help you decided which is better for you.

PSE 3 or 4 are GREAT for beginner to intermediate digiscrappers - heck, there are designers who use it, too. Elements is a very powerful program these days, and if you're upgrading from the original Elements to PSE 4, you'll have a LOT more capabilities than what you have now. You can usually find PSE4 on sale for under $80 or so. Costco had it on sale for $40, but I don't know if that promotion is still ongoing.

Guest sfcgijill
By the way, did you guys know that if you are enrolled in college, you can purchase Photoshop through the bookstore at less than half price? Follet.com lists Photoshop CS2 at $299.98, while Best Buy has it for $650.

Happy shopping!

PS I have both Photoshop CS, which I bought from the bookstore, and Elements 3, which came free with my scanner. Both have their uses. I prefer Photoshop for my my picture editing and scrapping because of all the features, but I use Elements for quickie jobs and for printing contact sheets because it's quicker.

[quote name='fran' post='50800' date='Jul 6 2006, 08:44 AM']I am thinking of upgrading my program (I have PSE original) and I'm wondering what the difference is between photoshop and photoshop elements besides the price!

I think my focus will be on scrapbooking, however I might want to do things for work (I'm a teacher). Does anyone have a preference between the two?[/quote]

I have both Photoshop and PE (version 2). I had and learned Photoshop first and only have PE by necessity - I teach digital scrapbooking using PE because the school where I teach does not have Photoshop.

I much prefer using Photoshop because I find it much easier to control shadowing and styles (you can have so much more control over styles in Photoshop) and I find Actions invaluable for scrapbooking and just working with my photos in general. Actions are one-click operations that perform a number of steps, greatly improving your workflow.

Since you are planning to upgrade AND you are a teacher, if I was you I would take advantage of the educational pricing for Photoshop that you are entitled to - a big savings on the full price and then you will have all the bells and whistles at your disposal for scrapbooking, etc.!

Linda

• 4 weeks later...
I am still debating the switch from PSE to Photoshop. I have a few more questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. Originally, I chose PSE because I noticed that a lot of the scrapbooking tutorials, general info etc. were geared toward PSE and I thought it would be easier. Would I have the same accessibility with Photoshop?

2. If I were to buy Photoshop, would I have to learn everything all over again?

3. I saw Photoshop 7.0 on ebay for $130. Does that sound odd?

[quote name='fran' post='54958' date='Aug 4 2006, 08:29 AM']3. I saw Photoshop 7.0 on ebay for $130. Does that sound odd?[/quote]

I also have been looking on ebay and saw some pretty good prices on PSE. Has anyone purchased software from ebay? Of course they all say NEW, I guess my question is where do they get the software to sell so cheap.

Oh, I have had a BAD experience buying Photoshop on eBay. I wouldn't recommend it. I got a fake copy with a fake serial number. Then I had to go through months of work to get my money back. And of course, I had to buy a real copy in the mean time.

Just buy a good copy from a reliable source and forget it. It's worth it.

I would go with PSE 4, I have both and PSE is so much easier and user friendly. Not that I don't LOVE my CS2, but I think for scrapping and teacher type stuff PSE 4 is the way to go! You can find some great deals on it too so even if you decided to get CS2 down the line you really wouldn't be wasting your money getting PSE4 and as previously stated you can use the same Psd and png files with both programs!

Archived