Photo Focus Club

NS_Scrapper

Interested in joining a conversation to improve your photography? The more the merrier. Jump in any time.

My name is Mary Elizabeth - around here, I'm usually known as ME cause the full name is a lot of typing. I have been an avid amateur photographer since I did yearbook pictures / developing through high school and university. I have been doing digital for about 5 years but still have a collection of film cameras. My digital arsenal includes a Pentax K100D DSLR, a Kodak P&S that I can take in my pocket, and, my newest acquisition, a Fujifilm FinePix S1500. As an aside, none of these cameras would have been ones that I probably would have chosen but they were all gifts from my DH who selected them carefully. Each has strengths and limitations and I use them for different applications. I'm lucky to have a variety of options and be able to compare results. I believe we can always learn to better use the tools to our advantage.

But you'll learn more about me as we go. Please introduce yourself and tell us a few things about you and your photography goals.

For example, have you been in any other photo club? Have you taken classes? What camera(s) do you use? What are your particular photography interests? What would you like to gain from joining the club? What sort of challenges would you like to see? Any other suggestions, requestions or questions about our Photo Focus club?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I first? My name is Kim--wife to one and mom to 5 and soon to be MIL to one! I love taking photos, mainly of my kids and of vacation scenery. My camera of choice is a 2003 model Canon Powershot G5 digital. It does everything except change lenses. I also have a little Sony for the pocket/purse/glove box, but I don't care for it much. It is okay for catching a memory, but not for creating art.

I'd love to continue learning how to get great shots. I love natural light. I'm getting pretty good at action shots, which is good since my kids are active! (Yes, you can take action shots with older digi cameras! The delay is not really a problem for me anymore!)

The only class I've taken is ME's class here at SG. I have the Kelby books on digital photography and have read them.

I am so excited that this photo club is getting off the ground and ME, you're the perfect person to lead this. I've taken MEs photography class here twice and will take it again next time around, I've done both of her month-long classes as well. I also took the photography class taught here by Debbie Layden.

I loved photos since I was a little girl, pouring over them in National Geographic, Life, and Look magazines was something I loved doing since I could hold those 'zines. On a rainy day there was nothing I loved more than going through m mom's box of photos and my aunt's scrapbooks and albums. I got my first brownie camera when I was 8 or 9 and have loved taking photos ever since. In college, my roommate was a photography major. I think a little of her love of photography leaked over to my side of our dorm room and I absorbed a little knowledge by osmosis or something. It was 1983 when I first ventured into the the SLR world with a Canon AE1 Program, and yes, I never took it off auto (or program). I went digital in 1994, again with a Canon S50, the first 5 MP camera available. not a bad camera and still useful for doing photos of things that go on ebay. I graduated to DSLR with a Canon Rebel XT, then an XSi. And then this fall when Canon came out with the 7D, I could not resist. I also have a powershot SX200 IS that I carry with me just about everywhere.

Several of my friends from work are amateur photographers as well and the lunchtime conversation often involves talk of equipment. I love that since I've taken the classes here I'm learning to talk the talk. My time has been severely limited by my work until last week. I'm really hoping to spend more time with a camera in my hand this year. I'll be working less and traveling more so hopefully, I'll get some nice photos for my LOs.

I just love talking cameras, sharing ideas for photos and such. I am hoping for maybe a weekly "assignment" or challenge, maybe to go with some of the scrapping challenges and themes, like you did this month. And maybe challenges using specific lighting (night or high noon or early morning) or subjects like interesting buildings or trees or flowers as well as friends, neighbors, and of course, kids and grandkids and furbabies. Or even a color challenge or two thrown in for good measure. Things that is doesn't matter what equipment you use, just how we look at the world. Another thing that would be fun is a photography word of the week, just so our photographers' vocabulary grows beyond DSLR and aperture.

Hi, I'm Joyce, and I'm excited about this new club, and Sandi is right, Mary Elizabeth is the person we need for this club. I have taken Mary Elizabeth's class and learned a lot. My DH gave me my first DSLR camera right before I took the class, so I was learning really from scratch. I have tried to keep up with what I learned, but sometimes when trying to get photos of that great-grandson who goes like a little whirlwind, I slide back into auto mode. I am looking forward to having challenges to meet. My daughter gave me two of Scott Kelby's books for my birthday, and I have picked up some good tips from them. I know I am in the minority around the MB because my camera is a Sony. I also have a point and shoot that I am learning to take with me all the time. I like the idea of the word of the week, too. I certainly could use a better knowledge of the vocabulary of the photographer.

hi friends,

i am bobbie and i too have taken ME month long class. i have always loved photos and i do believe it is a gene one inherits or not... my grandparents had camera and my grandmother was very good about making photo albums..the kind that had the black pages and the corners to hold the photos. my grandmother would write in white ink under each photo...so i guess you could say she was a scrapbooker! there were lots of photos of my dad as a boy ( and my dad is now almost 86!) so that was a long time ago... and their travels... as a young girl when i visited my grandparents i always asked to see the albums...they would make me wash my hands first and then they sat me in a chair and let me go thru a book at a time, telling me all the stories... so i guess i inherited that gene! i had a kodak camera in high school and took photos but didnt really know much about photography. i followed in my grandmothers footsteps and put them all in albums.. i took photos in college and even have a photo of the day i met dh... made that into a scrapbook page of course! i continued to take photos ( not especially good ones) while raising my family and kept everything in albums... about 10 years ago or more i finally took a photo class at a local art school... it was black and white photography with dark room...i had gotten a canon film camera at that time and some lens...

i am a retired early childhood director and i always used a lot of photography in my program. each of my classrooms had point and shoot cameras and we made books for kids, decorated with photos, made games with photos, used them in our newsletters... i often had to encourage or show the teachers how to use the cameras..we started with film and then switched to digi... i also made a slide show at the end of the year..

i dont recall when i got my digi camera but it was a canon rebel... when my dd got married almost 5 years ago i asked her wedding photographer if i could help out in any way ( even just answer the phones) so i could learn something about photography..she said sure and once a week i came to the studio and did a variety of things.. from editing photos, helping at photo shoots, and once they saw my scrapbooking i also did photo layouts....i took the photo class at sg with debbie layden and that taught me a lot.. i also took a workshop in person with debbie and an online flash class...i would really like to learn more and understand more about flash... especially off camera flash...i have 2 pocket wizards.. i love natural light but since i live in the northeast and it is often cold and grey you just cant count on lights...also i often am with family at indoor and evening gatherings... i know that to be a good photographer means to understand light...i would like to see and understand as much as i can about light..natural or otherwise...i too would love some challenges that would focus ( no pun intended) on a photo task so that i would learn something new or try something new...

another thing related to this i would like to learn is more about setting up a shot... for the portrait or the still life... i dont feel like i have an artsy backround so i feel like i am "stiff" when it comes to thinking about those kinds of shots.

i just got a new camera.. the canon 7D so sandi and i have "siblings".... i also have a canon 10 G as my point and shoot ...i ususally shoot in raw with both cameras.

i am looking forward to this group as it will be fun to be with focused ( pun intended) on photos

Thanks for popping in to say hello. It is wonderful to hear some of your stories and details on your photographer evolution. I am getting more excited to begin our shared adventure. And I love your ideas for extra info -- great tips for what I can post in the forum on a regular basis... you've got me thinking now. I have to run and spend some time with my photo resources.

Happy shooting.

Since it's a year of new beginnings, I'll jump in the club. My name is Theresa, and photography is outside of my comfort zone. :embarrassed003: After the photography classes at convention, and seeing all the gorgeous photos others have taken, I have a strong desire to learn. I also purchased two of Scott Kelby's books, which are waiting to be read.

My current camera is a Kodak P&S from a few years ago, which has documented many trips and memories for me in the past. But the quality and functionality isn't good enough anymore. So I just ordered a brand-new Canon SX20 which I should have in a week!! (I wasn't ready to take the final leap to a full DSLR...so this is my "middle ground")

I look forward to all the tips and tricks and challenges!

Hi, I am Melissa and my SG pals call me Missy round these parts. I have a DSLR that was given to me as a gift several years ago. I dont have it in front of me so I dont remember which it is at the moment. I have been interested in photography for a long while now, but have never done anything to improve my shots. I have read a few books here and there but since doing digital scrapbooking and seeing all the wonderful layouts and pics around, I have thought I should improve my skills as well. Well...that is short and sweet I guess, but I am looking forward to the challenges set forth this new year in this club. Thank you so much for doing this for us! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Hi,

I'm Sarah and I've taken just about every class Mary Elizabeth has offered here at SG! More than once! So, I'm really excited that this Photo Focus Club is finally a reality.

I have three good digital cameras, all Canon; an SD700 P&S which I carry with me; a S5 IS - technically a P&S, but it has ability to get out of Auto and change many of the settings like a dSLR (but with a smaller range) and it has several interchangeable lenses; and my latest, a T1i, which I got just a few weeks before Christmas. Of course, I'm just thrilled with it and looking forward to all the opportunities this club will give me for learning to use it properly.

Everything all of you have suggested sounds great - especially the vocabulary part!

Hi, I am Heather and as with all of you, have a love of photography. I received my first DSLR (Nikon D40x) a few years ago as a gift from my husband. Since then, I upgraded to the Nikon D80 (which is now my backup) and just recently to the D90. When I became interested in photography, I began doing a lot of research online and through reading books. I have also taken a couple community college classes. My love of photography, lead me to open my own photography business, which I run Part-time right now. I just completed my first full year in business. Looking back now, I probably opened up my business a little too soon...as there were things both with the technical aspects and business side of things that I learned on the fly. But, thankfully everything has continued to move along well. I am excited about this group.

I'm Pat and I'm a photo-aholic. ;) I too have taken two of ME's month long photo classes. I'm a serious amateur but I don't have a DSLR yet. I did use a Pentax SLR film camera for a lot of years (still have it.) I started out as a child of about 8 years old with a little box camera that I earned selling Girl Scout cookies. It served me well taking photos of my favorite subject - horses - as a kid. I hardly every took pictures of people. LOL When I was old enough to be responsible for it, my dad let me use his twin lens reflex camera. My dad was a VERY serious amateur photographer. He used to do his own developing and printing (of B&W) and he taught me how to do it. I belonged to the photo club in high school and took a basic photography class my freshman year in college. My husband and I did one of those long-distance learning photo programs when we were first married. Today, I love taking nature photos and landscapes - and of course pics of my grandkids.

I currently use a Kodak Z712 (advanced P&S) and a Kodak M380 P&S that I keep in my purse or bike bag.

Hi, I'm Sue & I too am excited to participate in Photo Focus. I have not ever taken one of ME's classes, but it is on my to do list! I have always loved photography. My first SLR was a Pentax SP1000 film camera with 2 lenses & I used a tele-converter to get more zoom. :) I thought I was the bomb. I took a several credit class and even set up a developing and printing studio in my bathroom and loved it. However, after children, we discovered we were taking so many photos that we made the switch to slides for several years (and I recently scanned them, so they are at least in digital format now). I 'graduated' to a Fuji P&S that I still use as a quite back-up, in the pocket camera, but the lag time on the shutter drove me crazy, so I purchased a Nikon D40 which I love. I know lots of people have upgraded from that, but frankly it does everything I ask of it and it is not so expensive that I would throw myself in front of a truck if something happened to it (like when my GS pulled it off the counter on Christmas Day & it landed on the kitchen floor - totally unharmed!)

When I used my Pentax, everything was manual - I used a light meter, set up every shot. My Nikon has that 'auto' feature that I rely on way too much. So I would really like some incentive to use my manual settings! Hopefully just hanging out with all of you will be just the boost I need for that.

I actually don't have any 'how-to' photo books, except for Dinny's here at SGs. I get Darren Rowse's Digital Photography School Tips in my mailbox & read them faithfully.

OK, enough of this - I have to go photograph some really awesome frost on the trees in my backyard. Looking forward to the chat!

ok ... finally jumping in here. I'm Denise and I have a film Nikon N80 and a Nikon D70 (DSLR). I've taken a few classes here and there as they were offered (none at SG though). I have several of Scott Kelby's books and find every one of them useful in one way or another.

I've had my D70 for 5 or 6 years (got it when they first came out) and recently (last 2 months or so) started having issues with back focusing which are frustrating the life out of me. I've looked a couple times on the web and have tried a couple different settings but so far, none have really worked. If anyone has any hints on this or experience with this particular issue, I'm all ears. Would love to upgrade to the D90 but don't have the funds for that now.

We've also had a few P&S film cameras over the years and bought a Canon A540 which died a quick death (less than 3 years old and has made me avoid a Canon when I was recently searching for a replacement for that for my older DD). I got her a Nikon S640 Coolpix for Christmas. We're still getting to know the camera but so far she seems very happy with it.

I started taking pictures as a child. My first camera was a Polaroid one that spit the pictures out for you to hold as they developed. From there I started using the ones my Dad bought. First a 110 instamatic, then a 120 instamatic (I'm probably dating myself here). Then he moved to a Yashika which was an SLR like camera (no lens changing) and then to his last camera which was a Minolta film SLR. Many times when my parents had parties at the house, my father would hand me his camera and say 'take pictures'. Guess I was pretty good cause that became my job. I used that camera for years after he died until ... it died. Tried to get it fixed and found out it would cost more to fix then purchase a new one (the rewinder broke). When I met DH he had a Pentax Z something and we used that (another film SLR) until it died - somehow managed to get a light leak.

Then I moved onto the N80 which I still have and which still takes excellent pictures and to the D70 which gets even more work then the N80 did. Recently, I had to give a basic photography lesson to my DD's 5th grade girl scout troop. some of their faces when I pulled out my film camera were quite funny. They couldn't believe that you couldn't look at the back of the camera and instantly see the picture you just took.

I prefer taking candid shots over portraits but would like to increase my portrait skills ... especially the idea of knowing how to pose my subjects. My one DD is a natural and I can pretty much tell her to do whatever she wants and I get great shots, my younger one needs direction though and I'm not so good at giving it. I also have an SB-600 speedlight flash for my camera but generally prefer to take pictures in natural light if at all possible (I absolutely HATE HATE HATE red eye ... even though I can fix it in PS). Would love tips on how to use that flash in a way that guaranteed no red-eye.

I'm sure there's much more. I'm looking forward to the club to hear what everyone else is doing and to learn from each other.

I'm Sara and I am really excited to discover this club starting up. I love to take pictures, as my groaning hard drive can attest to. I love to photograph people. I especially love to capture the shot that shows the emotion of the moment.

I started taking pictures at a very young age. I think I got a toy film camera at 5 yrs old. I still have pictures of my belongings that I took with it. My next camera was some type of film P&S, but a fairly nice one. I used that from the age of 10 until 23 when it died just before my baby was born. Sadly we couldn't replace it and all the pictures of our first child are from a dinky 640x480px camera that didn't have a flash. Whenever we visited my parents I made sure to take lots of photos with their digital cameras. I was given a Sony Cybershot DSC-P9 with 4 MP. It was the newest P&S at the time and 4 MP was pretty awesome. This camera is still in use. We gave it to my 7 yr old who loves photography and Santa brought new batteries for it for Christmas. For Christmas 2006 (I think?) I was given a Casio Exilim EX-Z850 with 8.1 MP. The best part of this camera is that late 2007, as I started digi-scrapping and learning a little about photography, I discovered that it had a full manual setting. Unusual for a P&S. Last September I finally got my first DSLR, a Canon T1i. I absolutely love it. Because of my manual practice with the P&S I was able to go straight into manual mode with it.

Last year my New Year's resolution was to learn to shoot in complete manual without the flash, on my Casio while indoors. I shot the entire year in manual and without flash. Some of my pictures are noisy and blurry, but I learned so much just by playing with the settings. Then, by finishing off the year with my DSLR in manual without the flash was liking licking the frosting off the plate. I learned the best spots and worst spots for natural light in my house and can now just pick up my camera and adjust the settings really fast. It was one of the best resolutions I ever made.

Now, I want to learn more about lights and playing with lights. I got a Canon Speedlight 430EX for Christmas and also a lensbaby (which is so much fun if you like playing with light and abstract photos.) I would also love to learn the art of posing and setting up studio lights.

I look forward to sharing our experiences and having challenges.

Hey all! I see a lot of class mates here :D My name is Kim and I too love photography! I have poked around other "photography" sites to post stuff on for feedback but lets face it, the support at SG just can't be compared :D

I use a little p-n-s- Canon Powershot SD890 and wanted to encourage others reading this post not to be put off by camera type. There is so much that you can do using your little point and shoots by learning what they can do as well as working "off camera" to enjoy setting up a shot as well! Its about playing and having fun while learning :D

Can't wait for more to come ME!

Kim, that's a good point. I too have visited other "photography" sites, but found none of them to be like what I have found here on SGs. Can't wait to share in the challenges and/or assignments with all of you, this is going to be fun :)

I use a little p-n-s- Canon Powershot SD890 and wanted to encourage others reading this post not to be put off by camera type. There is so much that you can do using your little point and shoots by learning what they can do as well as working "off camera" to enjoy setting up a shot as well! Its about playing and having fun while learning :D

I want to help Kim emphasize this point. My DSLR is only a couple months old. 95% of my photgraphy skills were learned on a P&S. Don't feel limited or intimidated if you don't have a DSLR. Join us and learn all you can.

Hi I am Caren and I am a Photography Addict...........Wheeew That felt good got that off my chest! I am Caren though and I als have been interested in photography since I was a kid I had after begging my parents a 110 camera film and took hundreds of rolls of photos. Most never got developed because we did nt have the money to so ...Here I am I have a Xsi Cannon I got it August and I will photo anything from bugs to leafs to people skies to bridges rivers you name I will try anyhow!... I am excited about this and looking forward to getting this together!

Hugs

Caren

This is such a fantastic idea, ME! I'm excited!

I've been in a Photo Club/class before. A friend of a friend gave lessons on basics two summers ago. I learned a lot in those months. I use a Canon Rebel Xti and a Canon Powershot something or other that I keep in my purse.

I want to more about using different angles to create interest, shooting in lower light situations, and natural light photography. Would love to see challenges like portraits, macro photos, and movement (panning?).

Hi! I'm Margot and I love photography! I have taken ME's photography class and participated in her two monthly classes. She is a great teacher and motivator and just the person to lead us in our photography adventure!

Like Joyce, I have a Sony A300 and just added a 50mm lens to my collection! My other camera is a Sony P&S which has all the bells & whistles of a DSLR. The only reason I went to a DSLR was the shutter lag which was driving me crazy when I was shooting cheer leading pics or any pics with motion.

I used to belong to local Camera Club back in my SLR film days and would print my own photos. It was a stretch to go to digital but I love it and never looked back!

I love taking macro pictures of flowers and pictures of my dogs playing. I have been playing with my 50mm and love it.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on Monday night!

:dancingelephant::dancingchicken2::party-smiley-048::monkeydance::gathering:

Hi, I'm Thess and I think this a great idea!

I've never taken one of ME's classes, because they're always full, and now I know why! Y'all are taking them more than once... Give a girl a chance, will ya? LOL!

My family has always taken a gazillion photos and there was always at least one camera around when I grew up!

My grandfather subscribed to National Geographic and I loved his shelves filled with those yellow spines. My mom thinks this is where my addiction to travels, my love of capturing memories with a camera, and my early grasp of the english language comes from.

I don't really remember my first camera, since I had the use of any camera my parents had from a very early age.

I bought my first SLR in 1989, a Canon EOS 600 (EOS 630 in the US), when I was 20 and had gotten my first "real" job!

I still have it (but haven't used it since 2003) and I'm still a Canon-girl!

My husband and I bought our first digital camera in 2001, an Olympus C4040 Zoom. We needed a camera to photograph all the bands and artists that were doing in-store signing-sessions and stuff in our store. So that we could put photos on our website without me having to scan "real" photos. Over the next 4 years, I rarely used it for "private" photos. I said I was NEVER switching to digital... I kept on with 135mm and APS/ix240...

I didn't go completely digital until 2005, when I bought a Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT in the US). It was my baby until 2008 when my best friend bought it from me and I upgraded.

Today, I shoot mainly with a Canon 50D and I have a nice little collection of lenses to use with it. We also have a Canon 450D (Rebel XSi in the US) that my husband has taken a liking to lately! But I'm hesitant to let him use my lenses...

I also have a Panasonic Lumix TZ-5 (P&S) that is ALWAYS in my purse and that I adore! DH has a shockproof, waterproof, dustproof Olympus Stylus 1030SW (P&S) that usually travels with us (a fab pool toy!)

As of today, I have 26,024 digital photos in my Flickr account - and roughly 25,000 of those are taken on full auto... :disappearing-smilie:

My wish and goal for 2010 is to get off auto!!! :hit-head-with-hammer:

I have a bookshelf full of Scott Kelby-books, and other books on photography that all look really interesting and fabulous. I just never have enough time and peace to dig in... Basically, I need someone to take me by the hand and lead me! In any way! Challenges, assignments and things like that would be fabulous!

Hi everyone, my name is Amanda McGee :) and I like to take pictures! LOL

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and a Sony Cybershot for my purse. I think my first camera was a Barbie pink camera with 110 film. :) I've had lots of different cameras, including the Sony Mavica (my first digital that saved to floppy disk!) I've always loved photography but have never fancied myself as a photographer (I just like to take pictures!) I took a photography class in college (pre-digital days, we took slides) and learned a bit about manual mode, but I always forget the settings. I have been messing around with manual mode more the past couple of years, (but keep it in auto focus) and I find that I have to take 50 photos to get the one clear shot. This year I think I might have to challenge myself to get out of auto focus mode!

I've never been in a photo club before so I'm looking forward to it!

Hi I'm MaryJo and like all of you I take tons of photos. My first camera was a Nikon Auto SG. It lasted me for 23 yrs. I then went to a Kodak digital camera and used that for many years until last year I purchased a Sony A300 DSLR. Up until this month I shot mostly in full Auto, I took a small photo class online and it was okay but it certainly didn't come close to SG;s. I'm looking forward to all the input from everyone,there is so much knowledge here, it always amazes me. I took many photo classes in my youth and did shoot weddings and christenings. Shooting digital is different and I'm looking forward to learning from ME. She's an awesome teacher and I can't wait to get started.

Like so many others I want to be able to get the most out of my camera and learn in the process to be a better photographer and thus a better scrapper.

My passion in photography now is my family. I have 6 kids a terrific husband, 3 dogs and too many cats to count. I love to garden and take plenty of photos of my flowers, I do alot of quilting and I really need to learn how to properly photograph my quilts and I do alot of mixed media quilting and dye alot of my own fabric. I'm looking forward to seeing everyones photos and getting to know you all!!! See you on the 11th

Hi - I'm Heather and would like to learn about photography. I've taken pictures over the years with various cameras that were made for the novice and have never developed any further. I'm nervous about taking winter photos because I don't know if it will harm the camera, or if there are certain precautions that need to be taken.

I have a Sony, point and shoot digital camera and have never done any research into camera types, although I would like to be able to take pictures from a further distance and evening photos would be nice. When I saw this forum, I thought it might be the right place for me to learn about cameras, as well as the photos.

The weirdest photo that I've ever taken with it, was of a blue moon. We have a small tellescope and I lined the camera lense up with the telescope lense and snapped a few photos. It was difficult to do because by the time I got everything lined up, the moon would move. lol Actually, I just made a LO with one of those photos for the January Jumpstart.

What a variety of experiences and backgrounds. We're sure to have some lively discussions.

I also came from a background of film cameras, starting with the K-1000 that served me well for more than 30 years. Yikes, that is scary to realize. I also had a succession of other cameras, mainly Pentax to be able to keep transferring lenses. I always preferred manual settings and was another person who had to be dragged into the digital age. My first little P&S had such a delay that I returned to film for another year. Of course, then I discovered the joys of Photoshop and feel like I'm back in the dark room.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am keeping a file and working on an extended schedule of challenges and discussion points.

See you on the 11th

My name is Richelle I am a Work at home mom. I am super excited to join in the group on this one. I have always loved photography. My love started with a Polaroid that my parents bought me when I was 10. I currently have a Nikon D60 with a few lenses and a Kodak P&S. I have not taken any classes but have read a few books, Scott Kelby and Digital Photography Simplified by Dinny. I even went to Walmart and bought the stuff she suggests for a studio. When my oldest wanted her Senior pictures done I upgrade and bought a small studio set up with a few backdrops and lights. I do get to practice my photography skills in my business occasionally but my true love is landscapes and nature. I could hang out in a park all day and fill a card quickly.

One of my goals for this year is to take more pictures. I hope this group will help me out a bit.

Can't wait to get started with the first challenge and getting to know you all better.

I don't know if I'll make all the chats, but I'm looking forward to this club! I am mom to a sweet little 5 year old boy, and just found out I'm expecting my 2nd child in September. I also work 3 days a week, thus the difficulty making chats and keeping up with my scrapping! I just bought myself a new Canon S90 to replace the SX850 that I've used and abused almost daily for 2 years. I'm still hoping DH will come through on his promise to find a Rebel T1i for my Christmas present. (yes, it's January, but I'm still hopeful).

I had only a passing interest in photography until I got my first digital, a Canon G2 in 2002, I think it was. I don't think I ever learned how to use more than 1/2 of it's functions, but I explored and experimented. Then my DS came along in 2004 and I took tons of photos with the intention of making a lovely scrapbook one day. Well, I put that off until I found ScrapGirls in '07, and finished his baby book a year later. Along the way, of course, I was challenged by all the beautiful and creative LO's with absolutely fabulous photos that I wanted to learn how to take! I took ME's Month of Memories class and learned a ton of wonderful things I could do with my P&S SX850 (which I got mostly when I found that I was missing tons priceless moments because I didn't have a camera that would fit into my purse!). My new S90 can do even more, and I'm very excited to give it quite a workout this year, and double that when my new bundle of joy arrives in September.

I'm also trying to finish the next scrapbook for my DS, finish up last years SG52 album, and take part in Project SG this year. I'd quit my job, but then I would have to sell my camera to pay the bills....and probably my computer...and my car...well, you get the idea.

I may only pop in now and then, but I am very much looking forward to challenging myself as much as possible photographically with this club.

I'll try to see you all Monday--I do have the alarm set on my computer!

Hi - I am so excited to take this class and learn from ME and others! I love pictures and want to learn how to take better ones! I haven't had much exposurer to photography, just take lots of pictures. As my kids were growing up, sadly I did not get a lot of pictures. I would take them, but never seemed to get around to getting them developed.

In 1996, I got my very first computer and soon afterward a digital camera followed. At that time, they weren't very great (least in my price range). And I would get frustrated with the camera's limitations, and ending up getting a new one. I ususally purchased Kodak cameras. In 2002, following my son's wedding and disappointing shots due to low light, I upgraded again. It wasn't until 2005, that I decided to go better and purchased what I thought was a good Kodak. After some graduation photos turned out lousy due to camera limitations, I said that's it and decided to get a "good camera".

In 2006, I did a lot of research and ended up spending quite a bit on a Canon G7, an advanced P&S that allows you go change settings. At that time, I could have gotten a Canon Rebel for only about $100 more, but was initimadated by it. I usually shot in automatic with the G7, but have had many beautiful shots. I also purchased Scott Kelby's books for photography and his 7-point system for CS3, which taught me Adobe Camera Raw. Using Camera Raw made me want to learn to shoot in raw and do more.

Lately, I have been wanting to get better, learn more, do more and debated if I should get lens and Speedlite for my G7, or take the leap into DSLRs. After reading so many posts here, I decided to take the leap and purchased my Canon T1i a week before Christmas. Since then, I have taken hundred of practice shots and did lots of reading and research.

I have six grandchildren that I love to photograph, as well as a love for landscape and wildlife.

I love my new camera, as well as my G7, and am so looking forward to learning photography. I already have an idea for the first challenge and will begin working on that soon! Looking forward to getting to know all of you better!

Guest Debbie F.

Hi, I'm Debbie. Until my grandson was born 3 years ago, I had a small PNS Olympus which I still have and keep in my purse. I then bought a Canon PowerShot S5IS which is a great camera, but not fast enough to capture a moving toddler. I upgraded a year or so ago to a Nikon D60 and just basically use it in Auto mode. I've wanted to find a class or a club to help me learn more about it and challenge me to use it off the Auto mode, so I am very excited to find this Club. I recently bought a 50mm lens and I don't know how to use it (go figure). I bought it because I was reading about it somewhere and thought it was a must have. I've been doing a lot of reading since the new year begain (one of my goals for 2010), but I'm sure having this will speed me along.

Debbie F.

Archived