Photo Focus Club

NS_Scrapper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I'm Dave living over here in Merry Old England!

I'd like to very much join in with this club. I may not be able to make the chats due to the time differences, but I'll certainly use the forum.

My interest in photography came at an early age. My Grandfather gave me an old 127 format Halina when I was 9 and taught me how to use it. I read books and taught myself Darkroom Theory and as time went on started to print my own images. Photography made such an impact on me, that I eventually started to make a living from it part-time.

I was an "early adopter" of the digital era, running a small Fuji 1.3mp (forget the name) alongside my film set up. I used the digital as a "polaroid" to test lighting! Prompted by the arrival of my daughter in 1999, I had to give over my darkroom, apparently because she needed somewhere to sleep! (I could not persuade DW to let her sleep in the garage! lol!)

So I adopted digital fully and started to learn Photoshop. Recently, I became a Stay-at-home-Dad to help with the care of my two disabled children. As such, I gave up doing photography commercially and sold all my gear at the start of 2009. I realised that I missed doing Photography for "me" and have recently bought a bridge style camera to continue with personal projects. I also realised that I need to find a "back to basics" style.

I would hope that being part of this might help that journey. It looks like its going to be a really nice mix.

Dave

Hi Everyone! I'm Rosemary and I live in Minnesota. I have been using cameras since starting out with a 110 camera in highschool. LOL...... I have since had several different cameras, my first dslr being a Canon REBEL and I always shot on auto since I was afraid of manual, knowing I'd have to develop to see if they turned out okay...

Since then I have played with a canon G5 and then right before my DH took me on our 25th anniversary trip, I decided to get serious about learning to use my manual settings. I read some books and did some practicing and two months later in the Mediterranean I shot all my photos in raw and only using the manual setting, with my Canon Rebel XT. I loved the better quality of my photos and the ability to edit them in photoshop is what really got me started with learning how to use photoshope CS3 extended better...

After another camera that I saved up for I went to Alaska with my family and took photos using my canon 5D. It's a terrific camera and I've gotten a few different lenses to play with and share between my different digital cameras.

I wanted to put a photo book together for my Mother and Father-in-law's for Christmas and had about a month to work on it, and when I saw Ro's photo album in the Shutterfly gallery I knew how I wanted it to look but had no idea how to go about it.....so I followed her links to SG and have never looked back.... That was a year ago last October... and now I'm an addict and don't ever want to stop. :lol:

I can't wait to be a part of my first photo club. I've wanted to join but always felt too out of place to start, but I Love SG and know I'll enjoy being a part of this wonderful club. :yippee:

Hi, I'm Tina and hope to join with you in the chat tomorrow. My interest in photography picked up when my kids came along and has continued ever since. We have quite a few cameras in our household and my favorite is whichever one happens to be handy when the time comes to snap a precious moment.

Looking forward to sharing tips and learning new skills.

Hi all,

My name is Lisa and I've taken a few classes here at Scrapgirls before, including one of ME's :-). My DH got me a Canon Powershot S3IS shortly after we moved to China about 3 years ago, along with a small Exlim camera for carrying around, but I've used the small one almost exclusively so far because its so easy (and small). Although it does take nice pictures, I really would like to finally learn to use the Canon that he got me. So far I've never taken it off auto, and I'm about halfway through reading the manual (I don't particularly like learning from manual-reading but I am trying to slog through it).

One reason that I'd like to actually learn something about taking better pictures is that I am picking up my new Lightroom software next week, and I'm excited to learn about that. So it would be nice to have some pictures that were more skillfully framed and shot to begin with!

I should be able to make the chats as for me they're at 10 am which is a good time. I can't wait to learn from all you much more experienced photographers out there!

I have just seen this thread and would love to join :)

Anyway I am Jane and live in New Zealand and havn't been to any of your classes ME as my software is just the basic Adobe photoshop CS and also the time difference prevents me from attending chats. I think I should manage this chat as I am either off on a tuseday or on a late and if I'm correct I should just manage the chat before I go to work :)

I have loved photography since I was about 8 when my Grandmother bought me my Ist camera. I have had a digital camera for about 5 yrs now but have had my Cannon 400D for about 2yrs. I just love taking photos and any subject and editing them in photoshop makes them all the more appealing to look at.

I have loads of albums that one day I hope to do layouts from but dont seem to have the time.

My photography skills have been mainly self taught and reading through the odd magazine. My DD is a keen photographer so I have gained a lot of skills through her. I would love to learn more skills about using the manual settings as I dont always get it right.

I am so looking forward to starting this tomorrow and thanks again.

I realized I never introduced myself so here goes.

I'm Julie and live in Northern NJ with my DH and DD. I have been to several classes here at SG and so love them. I use CS4 but still learning it. I have been digitally scrapping now for a little over 2 years. I recently took a photography class in school, but it was a B&W film class. Major fun to develop your own work. Learned quite a lot, but feel I definitely can learn more. I have read several photography books to teach myself my digital SLR camera. So mostly am self taught with that.

My love of photography or digital photography started with taking my DD's pictures during dance competitions. Now I still love doing that, and love taking nature photo's.

Am very excited for this club and looking forward to the chat tonight.

My name is Laura. I have 2 step-children and currently 1 foster child. I have been taking pictures since I was 12 when my uncle gave me his old SLR. I am a serious amateur, never taken any classes. I do wedding photography as well as outdoor portraits. I love taking pictures with my

Canon Digital Rebel xti.

I an sooo excited about this club. I have been wanting to focus on my photography skills for awhile and just haven't really been able to get started. I'll buy a book and it just sits. I need this club's prompting and encouragement. Everything I've taken is pretty much automatic. Because it's digital I start snapping knowing I can take as much as I want but I don't always slow down enough to really get it right and I have lots of pictures that say "that's not really what I was looking for."

I am fortunate to have both a Digital Rebel XT and added an Olympus FE-370 last year when I was doing SG52 and a picture a day. So now I always have a camera on me. My first camera was a Kodak Brownie when I was about 8 so I've had the photo bug a long time.

I have no lack of subjects to photo. My husband and I both love gardening and birding and I have 5 grand kids (just learned number 6 is on its way). So I have a lots to capture.

I'm Dee and I have two cameras a Pentax DSLR and an Olympus ps. I have taken photo classes through Ritz Photo but am really looking forward to this club. :)

Hi everyone, my name is Carol and I've taken classes from ME before. I'm looking forward to this Photo Focus Club chat this evening.

I own two digital cameras: Kodak Easy Share C653 and Kodak Easy Share Z980. The C653 is a small camera and I use that for backup in case my Z980 runs out of battery power. The C653 is a 3x Optical Zoom from 36mm to 108mm. My Z980 with a powerful AF 24X optical zoom from 26mm to 624mm, which I love. I've learned a little about how to use it, but need to learn more.

I've always liked photography and have several books on the subject. I must confess, I do get confused with all of the terms and can't seem to remember what they all mean (F Stop, Depth of Field, etc.). Yikes! So many terms to learn and when I can't remember them I get frustrated and give up. I guess I'll eventually get it.

I've always loved taking pictures and now that I scrap, my interest has increased and I'm always taking pictures. I never seem to be without my camera, as you never know what you are likely to see. Sometimes when I leave it home, that is when I see something really interesting to shoot. Like last week, my friend and I were going to the Palisades Mall to see a movie and came across some gorgeous trees lightly dusted with snow. Where's my camera? Home. Pooh! Missed some great shots. So now I try to remember to always take one of my cameras with me.

See you all tonight.

Hi....I'm Di. It was so cool to read through everyone's post. I learned alittle more about my friends now. I have always loved taking pictures, even as a child. I remember having a 110, 126, a disk camera. So many different cameras . I had a Pentax SLR with all the cool lens. I took a couple of classes with this camera at the local college. I suffer from hand shake and was always so frustrated at only having a few pics out of 24 or 36 come out half-decent. So I sold that set-up to pay for my divorce. I then went to different digitals. Most recently I have a Nikon Cool Pic L18 P & S, though I am able to manually shoot. Also a FinePix S5700 and a Kodak Easy Share C190 that is always in my purse and most recently, as of today, I got a late birthday/christmas present of a Canon Rebel xs digital SLR. I am so excited to learn how to use this. Even with my P & S cameras that shot in manual....I ALWAYS played safe and shot on Auto. My goal with joining this club and for 2010 is to "Get Me Off Auto"

I am excited that ME decided to start this club, I'm sorry I missed the first chat. The pain meds from the surgery keep me knocked out a good bit.

Is there gonna be a transcript of the chat? Has a new thread started after the chat? How do I find out what I missed tonight in chat?

Thank you

Okay, I am in. I have been "sneaking" around the SG forum and galleries for almost two years now and never posted a single thing. I have always enjoyed seeing the new layouts and new products and the forum has taught me some new techniques as I have been learning Photoshop CS4. But Photography is my basic interest and this Photo Club is just what I need to keep working on my Photography. So here goes....

I have a Sony A100 DSLR with a couple extra lenses that was a gift to me from my parents. I also have a Canon Powershot A400 which I carry with me in my purse. I started a Photography class last fall at our local Community College but had to quit because my daughter was pregnant and needed to be on bedrest so I had to go and spend a month with her and her family until the baby was born. The class did teach me to switch to manual settings and RAW format but just as we were learning Photoshop techniques, that's when I had to quit. I am looking forward to this forum as a way to challenge myself to continue working on Photography as Art.

My family always dreads when I get my camera out. They think I take way too long to set up a shot - perhaps, I do. My youngest daughter is getting married in March and she has told me that I am NOT allowed to have my camera with me at all on her wedding day. Go figure. I have three grown daughters and three grandbabies all three and under but all of them live a 'fer piece from me and I don't get to see them very often, so any challenge pictures will have to be of my "boring" yet busy life here.

I really want to learn how to keep from making my pictures look fuzzy. The edges are not crisp and sharp like I want them to be. Sometimes I "luck" out and get a good shot but more times than not, they are a little fuzzy. Perhaps it is the quality of my lenses - but more than anything else, that is the number one thing that I want to improve on in this club.

There you have it. My very first posting. I'll think about that challenge and work on it.

Hi I'm Jennifer. Would love to join in on the forum/chat. Don't know how much of the chat I will be able to attend because my love for photography came about with the 4 kids that I have to keep up with!

I have a Canon Tsi and have always wanted to make sure that I have pictures of the kids growing up and all the activities that they do. I also love to take pictures of scenery. I have never had a class, but keep up with a few photography websites. I would love a challenge to help me figure out the best ways and settings to use my camera to it's fullest abilities.

Thanks!

Hi Imanana06 - welcome to the club and no more sneaking! I am making a list of all club participants who shoot with a Sony DSLR.

I have a Sony A300 with an 18-70 mm and "Nifty fifty" lenses.

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Margot, a good idea, trying to find others who use the same equipment. Bobbie and I both are learning to use the new Canon 7D, But I've also used the Rebel XT and I still also use my XSi, the one I know the best. I've also used several different P&Ss and try to have one of the small ones with me at all times. I'm also trying to learn to use my iphone camera, which has some pretty interesting capabilities and I have the photoshop app for it. Can you imagine that? photoshop for a cell phone camera? Blows me away, the equipment we have to play with. No wonder I'm confused and baffled most of the time.

Hi, I am Jennifer and I just saw this thread and I want to join the club!!! I have always wanted to better learn photography. I have ALWAYS enjoyed taking pictures but camera talk has always scared me. There is just so much info and it is so overwhelming!!! I've been using a Cannon Powershot for a number of years but my DH bought me a used Canon EOS Rebal from E-bay for my Birthday last year. I have enjoyed it but still have A LOT to learn and I am ready to learn.

Jen, I think this club is a super way to improve your photography. Seems like there are a lot of folks who really want to learn together and have some fun doing it. If you are confused about the new language of photography, and need a great starting point, try this Photography Simplified ebook by our own Dinny. This is where I started and I learned so much. Its very easy to follow but has a wealth of info in it too. This is the book that is used in ME's photography class (which I also really, really, really recommend). So many of the photography books I use now were way to complicated, over my head when I first started, but this gave me the basics, the fundamentals on which to build. I do still refer back to it from time to time.

Hi I'm Hazel from New Zealand. I have been interested in photograpy since a got my first camera when a teenager about 45 years ago. I have had a digital camera (Canon Powershot A540) for about 8 years and last year I joined the DSLR world and am finding it fascinating with my Canon 450D. My 11 grandchildren provide plenty of photo oportunities. I am hoping to learn lots from this group.

I realized I never introduced myself so here goes.

I'm Julie and live in Northern NJ with my DH and DD. I have been to several classes here at SG and so love them. I use CS4 but still learning it. I have been digitally scrapping now for a little over 2 years. I recently took a photography class in school, but it was a B&W film class. Major fun to develop your own work. Learned quite a lot, but feel I definitely can learn more. I have read several photography books to teach myself my digital SLR camera. So mostly am self taught with that.

My love of photography or digital photography started with taking my DD's pictures during dance competitions. Now I still love doing that, and love taking nature photo's.

Am very excited for this club and looking forward to the chat tonight.

Hi! My name is Dee and I grew up in Northern NJ, Julie. I'm originally from Harrington Park in Bergen County.....are you anywhere near there?

The Photo Focus Club is so exciting! I took up photography and digi-scrapping recently after I realized my bum hands won't let me quilt nicely anymore. I learned on a Nikon D50 which I recently sold to a college student, and have a Nikon D5000 on order. I'm hoping to be able to come to chats. We have a conflict on Monday evenings, but am going to try to work around it. I'm a beginner and really want to learn more to expand my photography abilities. It is addicting! Is there a post anywhere saying what was covered at the chat this past Monday evening?

Dee

Hello, my name is Carole and I'm addicted to photography/scrapping ... oh, wrong forum for that one right?!?! :)

Actually - I am addicted to both! I have been interested in photography since I was a little girl (way back in the '60s) and got my first B&W camera when I was 7 years old.

When I was 18 I went to a wedding in New Zealand (where I'm from originally) with a friend who was the photographer for the wedding. He came down with a bad, BAD case of food poisoning. He handed me the camera and told me to take over?!?!?!? I did it ... and since then I have covered over 300 weddings, 400 family portraits, 50 baby shoots, 20 pregnancy/boudoir photos and one of my 'most memorable' a still birth.

The silly thing about all of this photography is that I've never learnt how to use my camera ... this is what I've wanted to do for a while.I have taken an ME class before and I learnt so much from it that the moment I saw this I jumped in lens and all. I now take photos out of *gasp* automatic and they actually turn out not too bad.

You can never learn too much. I am doing a photography course with New York Institute of Photography as I am living in a place for only 1 year and all of my children (and DH) are in school. I figured this would be as good a time as any to see if I could learn to take photos.

I have several cameras - all Canons and I want more, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I loved being in the chat last week, and I'm still looking for my 'Beginning' shot - just been a bit stuck inside lately.

It's great seeing some old class friends in here, but it's so wonderful to see so many new faces. I'm sure this class will be amazing and can't wait to see what comes out of it!!

Hi I'm Hazel from New Zealand. I have been interested in photograpy since a got my first camera when a teenager about 45 years ago. I have had a digital camera (Canon Powershot A540) for about 8 years and last year I joined the DSLR world and am finding it fascinating with my Canon 450D. My 11 grandchildren provide plenty of photo oportunities. I am hoping to learn lots from this group.

Hello Hazel. Just had to say hello to you! I was born and raised in Taihape and spent a lot of my time in Palmerston North. My eldest son was born there. When I got back to NZ in 2008 I got to spend a bit of time there again with friends of mine that live there.

Welcome to Scrapgirls and especially this photo/chat. These ladies are awesome and everyone is just so wonderfully helpful.

Hello, I'm Julie and I'm looking for challenges/assignments. For me, it really helps to have specific assignments/challenges to focus and hone my skills and then apply what I learned to other situations. I own 2 Olympus cameras a Camedia 5050C and Stylus 1200 (but I dream about Nikons) :) I mainly use the P&S because its 12.1 MP instead of 5. I am trying to work on lighting, depth of field, focus (reducing "grain artifact" too) and catching moving children.

I would still love to be in a dark room, I miss it ... but photoshop is also waaaaay too much fun.

Archived