Fantastic New Photography Book

SandiC.

Wowzers! I fell in love with new book the moment I opened it. Just what I was looking for to learn how to move from good, but mostly ho hum photos to fantastic images that are truely art. The book is Capturing Mood, Ambience, & Dramatic Effects - The Dynamic Language of DigitalPhotograhy by Joseph Meehan.

"It is when the photographer chooses to push beyond the point of just documenting the subject that the real power of photography as a medium for personal expression begins to emerge"

That's what I'm shooting for (pun not really intended, but I like it), personal expression on top of documentation. So any photography book that opens with that statement has to be good, right? You know it! I'm only on the third chapter, but am so enthralled with the things in this book. I give it a 5 star recommendation.

2468who-do-we-appreciate.gif WTG Margot!!! I love it!!2468who-do-we-appreciate.gif

Ps Thanks Sandi got it written down in my purse as soon as I can get off our mountain here I will go check it out !!

Sarah disappearing-smilie.gif we would never do such a thing!!

Oh Sandi, that does sound good. I'm off to Barnes & Noble anyway today! Yipee!

Sarah - why didn't you think that Sandi was enabling you? huh? Or is it only Caren and I that have that label? LOL

Ohhh - sounds like I "need" this - but it is $9.00 out of my budget spending for January.... hmmmm, maybe I need Sarah's rule "books don't count".....

Robin - not a problem! Budgets are guidelines only - you can borrow from next month -Totally disregard the budget -after all you need to learn to use your new equipment to the fullest Or invoke Sarah's rule! Your choices are just endless! :disappearing-smilie:

OK, I've been to the book store and found both books - Capturing Mood, Ambience & Dramatic Effects, AND Capturing Time and Motion. I sat and looked at both of them for a long while. But they were $29.95 at B&N, so I put them back on the shelf. I'll need to go the Amazon route. We have 6 birthdays in January and I was there to get books for some of those people. Maybe those books, even if I get them from Amazon, will need to wait until next month.

However, that being said - they do look wonderful and great for inspiration!

Ohhh - sounds like I "need" this - but it is $9.00 out of my budget spending for January.... hmmmm, maybe I need Sarah's rule "books don't count".....

Robin - not a problem! Budgets are guidelines only - you can borrow from next month -Totally disregard the budget -after all you need to learn to use your new equipment to the fullest Or invoke Sarah's rule! Your choices are just endless! :disappearing-smilie:

OMG - that is so funny! I loved it - thanks for making me :going-crazy:

I was trying to following Sandi's advice recently to limit my spending, but I like your reasoning added to it :giggle_bear:

I speak with forked tongue....save your money.....and get this book. I didn't mean you had to rush out and buy it today, but it is worth a place on the wish list for sure.

I also have The Photographer's Eye. I haven't jumped into as much as this one, but it also looks terrific.

An experience I have had recently is as I'm driving here and there and looking at my surroundings, I am experiencing something of wonder at some of the sights. A recurring thought to myself is "I wish I could photograph this, its amazing". Since this happens so often as I drive, I make a mental note of the location and time of day and what it is that so captivates me about what I see. I always have at least one camera with me, but these things tend to happen when I'm on my way to work or an appointment or something. At first I was sort of mentally kicking myself for not taking the time to stop, but then I just let myself enjoy whatever beauty I see, and making a mental image of it. I think this is the first step to good photos, just seeing and feeling whatever emotion it is that connects me to what I see. its a level of awareness that is somewhat new to me, or at least coming to me much more frequently than before I started this journey into the world of photography. Anyway, this book seems to meeting me at this point and trying to give me the tools to start capturing these images as I see them.

Sorry for the ramble, just needed to unload all that on folks who understand.

I speak with forked tongue....save your money.....and get this book. I didn't mean you had to rush out and buy it today, but it is worth a place on the wish list for sure.

LOL - Sandi!

Actually, I could buy it if I wanted to, but I do like your idea of the budget and controlling your expenses, because it would be so easy to buy so much so quickly!

I had already decided to wait on the book, until I am ready for it. Because this stuff comes in increments, that's for sure. And I am learning alot, but I am not ready to take on another step yet, so I will wait until I am!

Today I had to go for my Orencia treatment, and I have to sit for about 1.5 hours while I get my treatment and took my Digital Field Guide with. It was great to get to sit in quiet and read it. It is a wonderful book and so, until I am ready for my next book....

Hey girls....before you rush out and spend a pile of $$$$.....check out Dinny's ebook "Photography Simplified" . I bought it a while back and it's fantastic...and a great price! Here's the description:

This eBook by dinny, is full of easy to understand information andphotographic examples, and is tailored to the beginning digitalphotographer who wants to take better photos. More advancedphotographers will also benefit from this eBook with the sections thatget you out of your comfort zone. dinny’s photos can be foundinternationally on several stock photography websites, as well as onbook covers, magazines, CD jackets, websites, calendars and e-cards.

Janine,

I think we all have Dinny's Digital Photography Simplified already, at least I do and I know all those who have taken Mary Elizabeth's classes have it. That's what got us started on this road in the first place! But it's nice to be reminded of it and go back to review those lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I confess - blew my January budget - but not on the book Sandi suggested, yet another "must have"...

Many here have recommended Bryan Peterson's books, one that a few mentioned was his Understanding Exposure. He also has a few others. Well I got his "Understanding Photography" and is basically a quick chapter each on topics from some of his other books, so he touches on all of the basicss. I think after reading this book, I find a particular topic I want to know more on, I will then purhcase one of his other books. But this one is pretty good thus far, giving me some "ah-ha" moments....

Janine, thanks for the reminder about Dinny's ebook, I recommended it to someone else on another thread a coupleof days ago too. It is a superb place to start when you're first "learning the ropes" and like Sarah said, good to go back to to review. When I first started looking at photography books, many of them like this one and Bryan Peterson's books were way over my head and after Dinny's ebook and the photography class here, I now know enough to move into the more advanced concepts. I couldn't have done it without SG.....again.

Archived