Abc's Of Camping

momentousangel

8 hours ago, mimes1 said:

@MariJ Sorry to have taken so long to find this! The days have been super busy getting Mark to work, mom to her day program, then all the nurses and PT, and hairdos! I will say that I'm feeling more happy than I have in a while. 🙂

For the owl box, a couple of questions come to mind.

Hi Amy, I am so very delighted to hear that your life is easier and you are more happy.   That is awesome news.  I'm really thrilled for you all!  😊

And, thank you so very much for the owl, info!    I know a few answers.   Pretty sure it was sold as a Barred Owl house so should be the appropriate size but I'll check. And they've never seen an owl in it so I doubt it has been used previously.  
It's actually in the woods, but on the outer edge so we can see it from the house,  we'll have to watch for the sun factor.   And for sure it is high and I remember when it was put up a friend came with a very high ladder - they sent me pics, it's really high up!!.  Could it be too high?

Everyone but me is asleep now but I will relay the info and I'll let you know the answers.  I know they will be excited to hear this and me too - such interesting info, thanks for typing it all out and sharing your knowledge.  😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hi Amy, I am so very delighted to hear that your life is easier and you are more happy.   That is awesome news.  I'm really thrilled for you all!  😊

And, thank you so very much for the owl, info!    I know a few answers.   Pretty sure it was sold as a Barred Owl house so should be the appropriate size but I'll check. And they've never seen an owl in it so I doubt it has been used previously.  
It's actually in the woods, but on the outer edge so we can see it from the house,  we'll have to watch for the sun factor.   And for sure it is high and I remember when it was put up a friend came with a very high ladder - they sent me pics, it's really high up!!.  Could it be too high?

Everyone but me is asleep now but I will relay the info and I'll let you know the answers.  I know they will be excited to hear this and me too - such interesting info, thanks for typing it all out and sharing your knowledge.  😊

Hi Marilyn! Another thought I had in the night was the other critters like squirrels could nest in it too. Something like that would deter the owls. Also I'd have to look up specifically for that species, but it might be a little too early in the season for nesting owls. Lastly, how long has the box been up? Sometimes they will check it out for a good long time before using it.  

38 minutes ago, mimes1 said:

Hi Marilyn! Another thought I had in the night was the other critters like squirrels could nest in it too. Something like that would deter the owls. Also I'd have to look up specifically for that species, but it might be a little too early in the season for nesting owls. Lastly, how long has the box been up? Sometimes they will check it out for a good long time before using it.  

Thank you, Amy!   We were talking about some of this this morning, I'll answer a bit later as we're going out.  

21 hours ago, mimes1 said:

Hi Amy, thanks!   Here’s some answers, everyone was excited to have info from a Bird Expert! 
You are spot on - the box has only just been up a year 2/12/22 so it’s likely it hasn’t been noticed yet  It is facing East and it gets some morning sun, but not much later to be hot.   Yes!  Exactly as you said, some chicken bedding/wood shavings were put in and it does have a big perch, someone who knows birds made it.  They wondered about squirrels, there’s not a lot of them around here but they haven’t seen squirrel activity near it.
Also the woods right here is more a strip - there’s bigger pieces around but this is a strip, does the box need to be in a large wooded area?  They do live in the “country” and the box is approximately 20 feet high up the tree.   I took some photos for you 
yesterday when out walking.  Not sure why they won't show here, if I click they download to see.  The perch also has a piece jutting out vertically from the horizontal piece.  From the photo it doesn't look as high or far back as it actually is
Hope everyone else doesn't mind my owl research.   When I write this it feels like, "We now interrupt or regularly scheduled programming for some bird advice."!   :rofl:

IMG_6592.heicIMG_6590.HEICIMG_6594.HEIC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hi Amy, thanks!   Here’s some answers, everyone was excited to have info from a Bird Expert! 
You are spot on - the box has only just been up a year 2/12/22 so it’s likely it hasn’t been noticed yet  It is facing East and it gets some morning sun, but not much later to be hot.   Yes!  Exactly as you said, some chicken bedding/wood shavings were put in and it does have a big perch, someone who knows birds made it.  They wondered about squirrels, there’s not a lot of them around here but they haven’t seen squirrel activity near it.
Also the woods right here is more a strip - there’s bigger pieces around but this is a strip, does the box need to be in a large wooded area?  They do live in the “country” and the box is approximately 20 feet high up the tree.   I took some photos for you 
yesterday when out walking.  Not sure why they won't show here, if I click they download to see.  The perch also has a piece jutting out vertically from the horizontal piece.  From the photo it doesn't look as high or far back as it actually is
Hope everyone else doesn't mind my owl research.   When I write this it feels like, "We now interrupt or regularly scheduled programming for some bird advice."!   :rofl:

IMG_6592.heic 1.88 MB · 0 downloads IMG_6590.HEIC 2.66 MB · 0 downloads IMG_6594.HEIC 4.69 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Marylin! I'm so happy to have been some help! My computer doesn't know what to do with these photos. heic is mac extension. I've learned through phone use that if I save the photos first, then send them to wherever they go as jpegs. Feel free to email them to me as jpegs if you like. I'd love to see them. You should have my email, it hasn't changed! Looking forward to seeing them!

6 hours ago, mimes1 said:

Hi Marylin! I'm so happy to have been some help! My computer doesn't know what to do with these photos. heic is mac extension. I've learned through phone use that if I save the photos first, then send them to wherever they go as jpegs. Feel free to email them to me as jpegs if you like. I'd love to see them. You should have my email, it hasn't changed! Looking forward to seeing them!

Ok, I almost did that and oh no wonder!  I never have trouble posting photos, I thought they changed to jpegs, but I guess not and they kept giving me trouble, I did it twice!.  😱    I'm off to bed now, I'll send them off tomorrow, nothing exiting but the owl box.  😂

And oh!   We just watched the NCAA Tournament reveals and IU women for the first time ever got the number one seed in their area and will play I think Saturday here in Bloomington.  I'll let you know for sure.

• Like 1

Hey, good one Kelly!   We've played so many rounds and still manage to come up with good answers...
(I won't mention the rest of what we do!)

Stove 

You know one of those little camping ones you put wood or charcoal in to cook dinner?

• Haha 1