Question About Tri-Pods

countrydi

I have a tri-pod and like to use it. But it's a pain to hook it up. First I have to use a small screwdriver and screw this plate into my camera and then slide it onto the

tri-pod (that part isn't hard) But it's a pain to have to screw that plate in all the time and you can't leave it on as it doesn't let the camera sit flat.

I researched online for about an hour and found hundreds of them, but not one showed me the top part of it or how you put your camera on.

Is there any other tri-pods out there that are super easy-quick to do and undo??

I'm gonna try and attach a pic of the plate here.

Hey there Di! Sorry to hear about your tripod dilemma. I have what looks like a similar set-up to yours, but I will admit I've never used a screw driver to attach it to the bottom of my camera. Mainly because I want to have easy maneuvarability (not checking the spelling on that one) for my camera. I usually just screw it in as tight as I can with my little finger lingeys and if I need to tighten it I do.

It looks like your tripod has an easy release system on it though. That piece you photographed should just slip into the top of the tripod when you turn the little knobby thing that it fits into, to the side?!? It took me ages to get the hang of it and I honestly thought I had a bad tripod until it finally clicked in my head what I was doing wrong.

So - you turn the handle all the way (about 180 degrees) to where it usually is, slip the camera in by placing the square piece above into the slot, then you turn the handle back to where it was so that your camera is secure.

Nothing like waffling on about things I don't know about! Hope it was some help ... if not, just let me know and I'll try and figure out a better way to try and explain it to you. I haven't done a good job here at all!!

Hello Di!

What you have there is a quick-release plate of some kind. Most of them dont need a screwdriver to tighten them though, many come with a looped screw thread (like a little D ring attached through the screw) so you can tighten it.

Many modern tripods come with this facility now, but you can still get tripods where you screw the camera directly to the top plate. Perhaps that may be a model that you need to look at. Personally, I used to leave my Quick Release plate attached to the camera body (mainly so I didnt lose it!).

Carole has described the operation of a quick release quite well. The camera (with plate attached) clicks in to the top of the tripod head and there is some kind of locking mechanism that holds everything in place. Then, when you wish to remove your camera, just flick the lever and hey presto!

Mine's like Dave described. don't need a screwdriver to attach it and leave it on when I go out to shoot and then, when I'm done I can take it off, or leave it on. Come to think of it, not sure where mine is. See, a good reason to leave it on. I haven't used it in awhile. Need to get it out and play with it.

Maybe I'm using a screwdriver when I don't need any??? I will have to check that out.

Thanks for all the help and info....I'm gonna start using my tri-pod more, as the meds I'm on give me really bad hand shakes.

So does the tripod help quite a bit? I can see where it would/should. But it does seem like a pain. I did get the monopod, which is pretty neat, and does help, but it is not a cure-all for camera shakes.

I struggle with that the most and keep practicing and practicing....

Robin,

In direct answer, a tripod is almost indespensible(sp) for still life work, or for landscapes and some portraiture (studio based). However, they are obviously cumbersome if you are out and about. This is where your monopod comes in handy. Its just really a matter of practicing. I mainly used my monopod on trips to race meets or perhaps a day at the airport. One little tip I found was, assuming your monopod has one, is to use the wrist strap as a brace. I would put my hand thru the strap and grab the monopod with my left hand and operate the camera with my right. This allows you to put a little more downward pressure on the monopod and thus helps to brace the camera more effectively.

Try not to use the monopod at a "distance". Bringing it closer to your body helps to brace it too.

With Tripods, I would advise to go for a non-braced type (one where the legs are not fastened together with a bracing bar). The independent positioning of the legs is a big help if you are limited on space!

Hope this helps!

Robin,

In direct answer, a tripod is almost indespensible(sp) for still life work, or for landscapes and some portraiture (studio based). However, they are obviously cumbersome if you are out and about. This is where your monopod comes in handy. Its just really a matter of practicing. I mainly used my monopod on trips to race meets or perhaps a day at the airport. One little tip I found was, assuming your monopod has one, is to use the wrist strap as a brace. I would put my hand thru the strap and grab the monopod with my left hand and operate the camera with my right. This allows you to put a little more downward pressure on the monopod and thus helps to brace the camera more effectively.

Try not to use the monopod at a "distance". Bringing it closer to your body helps to brace it too.

With Tripods, I would advise to go for a non-braced type (one where the legs are not fastened together with a bracing bar). The independent positioning of the legs is a big help if you are limited on space!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Dave! It helps quite a bit! I will practice those tips for my monopod! I think I was placing it too far away from me, that makes good sense to bring it in closer!

Giving that a try! I will eventually get a good tri-pod, but will wait until I am better and know exactly what I want.

Thanks again!

Archived