Rain And Cameras

countrydi

I seen on E-bay that they sell rain/dust covers for your camera for about $20.

What do you do to keep your camera dry when shooting in the rain? I don't want to stop shooting in the rain as I get some cool pics then,

TIA

Di, I went looking for a small P&S that I could take everywhere, and ended up buying a waterproof one. It came with a cute little cover that I guess would be good to use in the rain. In the past I have used plastic bags, held them under my jacket, and all sorts of things. I did have a camera ruined by water a long time ago. We were on one of those boat trips in Mexico and the guys thought it would be fun to splash the tourists. My camera was ruined, and it was the second day of our two week stay. One of the salesmen at the timeshare lent us his camera to use for the entire time. How about that?

The rain/water proof cameras would definitely be one option. The DSLR can be a little harder. In heavy rain or wet snow, I have used a heavy plastic bag with a hole for the lens. I have also asked someone else to hold my umbrella while I take a pic or two but that isn't a solution for lots of pics. I have thought about trying one of those umbrella hats that I see people wearing in the summer and at special events but haven't found one yet that was big enough. Sometimes you can also keep the camera in the case until you can stand under a little shelter to protect the top of the camera.

Definitely don't put it away on inclement weather though. :)

A nice simple plastic bag, with a hole cut for the lens!

Perhaps a small hand towel in your bag to wipe down any excess mositure from the camera body (dont use the towel on the lens glass! lol). Also, if you are taking your camera from a cold rainy environment into, say, a warm house, allow some time for the camera to acclimatise. This avoids condensation affecting the gubbins in the camera!

I do exactly what Dave says - I use a plastic bag with a hole for the lens and carry a small towel just in case.

I also bought my husband a P&S that is water-and dustproof, so that's the one we usually take when it's snow, rain, sand or to the pool!

Archived