What Is This?

countrydi

I purchased a brand new UV filter from E-bay for just 1 penny, still in it's box and the postage was just $2.99. Along with it came a cap and then this thing called

a "hood". The problem is, I have no idea what it is and when I would use it....any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

A hood is a device that has threads that you attach to your lens to protect it. Since you got it with a filter, it may be that you attach the filter to your lens first, and then the hood to protect the filter and the lens.

Both filters and hoods can protect your lens from accidental damamge - filters from scratching and hoods mainly for just general banging around!

Did it not come with any instructions?

The UV filter is great for a couple of purposes. Since I live at high altitude, it was pretty much a necessity back in the days of film; it's a very slight filter/color correction for days with lots of ultraviolet light. I don't know enough about how digital cameras respond with respect to light wavelength, but some films were hypersensitive to that light, and pictures came out too blue without the UV filter.

However, I often left it on my camera all the time, as it didn't adversely affect photos, and it was a great scratch-protection for the actual lens. It's much cheaper to replace than the lens if it gets scratched.

The hood is especially nice when you are shooting almost but not quite into the sun; it can be used to block that low-angle glaring light, keep it from swamping out the light meter and making everything else underexposed.

Have fun with the new camera!

Archived