Flickr Users

Sarah in VA

What with the Photo Focus Club and the Understanding Exposure class, and just general photo-taking, I've got lots of photos I'd like to share with family and friends. Knowing that the gallery here at Scrap Girls is not the place for uploading all these photos (except for those allowed for specific classes or forums) I've ventured into the world of Flickr! Actually, it seems I have two Flickr accounts...when I made this new one, I forgot I already had one...Can I combine them?

Help! Can anyone explain how they use Flickr to me? I uploaded several (I think 6) photos today and it tells me I've already used 25% of my limit for the calendar month. I see I can have unlimited upload capabilities for a certain yearly fee. Is that what everyone does? How do I let my family and friends know how to search for my photos? How do I share? And what about all the privacy things? What is important and what isn't? Anyone want to give me a heads up?

Thanks!

Sarah;

I use flickr. I bought the 'pro' account, which is unlimited uploads. Actually, I have two, one for me and one for a group I belong to. You can 'share' the photos either when you upload them, or later if you want. You click on the share button & flickr will sent an e-mail with a link to whoever you choose. Or you can just make all your photos public & just send the link to your flickr home page to your friends and family. You can put some security on your photos by making them only available to friends & family and specifying who these people are.

I don't think you can combine the accounts.

The other thing you can do with flickr is make sets and collections (groups of sets). This lets you group all your photos from a particular event so people don't have to wade through all your photos (called the photostream).

I am not an expert, but have muddled through for awhile now. If you have more questions, I will attempt to answer them.

ditto to what aggie has said...i have a flickr acct too.... and its a pro acct.... i still get a bit confused and distracted on flickr .... but for my family i just make picasa web albums and send them the albums.... with things like my lo i have a 2009 , 2010 , etc album and keep adding lo to them...so my family knows when they get them there are new lo but also some they have seen before...

Thank you all so much for your help. I'll get the pro account too. Bobbie, I'm glad I'm not the only one to get distracted! I'll do some more uploading today. Especially the snow photographs for my family in Texas! Glad to hear about the sets and collections Aggie. This will help me stay organized!

And Caren, please ask Thess for her advice.

Archived