Compact Flash Card Problem

I have a 4GB Compact Flash that I have had for a while now. This weekend while at DD's dance competition, I was clicking away on their first dance, and all of a sudden get a message that my CF card is full. Now mind you, it was totally empty when I got there, and I only took 20 pictures. So, why is it saying full. I checked it, and it only has 20 photo's on it. It can hold 400 jpgs easily, and probably 200 raw which I shot in.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm wondering if I should try formatting it again. Or maybe it's just an old card and I need to just get a new one.

Any ideas?

Julie, I have had this happen! For me it was the transfer of my info onto my computer. It wasn't actually deleting the photos that I transferred to folders on my computer. Even though my camera couldn't read them and listed zero pics available or whatever, they were all still there taking up room on that card. What I finally had to do was use my card reader with my computer and browse to the drive where I had my CF card. When I opened it up there were folders with pictures that I had already saved onto my computer. I double checked to make sure they had all transferred and then deleted all of the extra folders.

Then I went back and changed to settings for when I imported my pictures to delete the ones in the camera. Somehow that gets changed on me off and on and I have to keep an eye on it. I hope that helps!

Julie, if you haven't formatted your card in a while, it's probably a good idea to do so. Just make sure you have all the photos off the card before you do as it completely erases everything, eve protected photos, if you have any marked that way.

I reformat my cards (in the camera) almost after every large download.

yes formatting is important and also someone once told me ( not sure if its true) that erasing/deleting a photo here and there from the camera isnt that good for the cf card...better to delete photos from the computer

see I just read erase te photo thru camera and then format the card I also as Sarah says reformat my card after a large download of pictures

Archived