Moon Picture

michgirl

Every week with my new camera, I have been challenging myself to learn something new and get better.

Today I started seriously working to use my tripod and shutter release cable. Did lots of practice shots today. Tonight I decided to give it a try with the moon and am very pleased with my first attempts, so I am posting.

I want to thank Rosemany for helping me to understand bulb settings and a little night photography!

Thanks, Rosemary & Pat -

I have a Canon T1i and had my 15mm-85mm lens zoomed to 85mm, f/5.6 with shutter speed of 1/90, WB set at Cloudy and used Tv Mode. I used my tripod and a shutter release cable.

It took a few attempts. At first I was using a slower shutter speed, and it was too much glow around the moon; increasing the shutter speed allowed me to get this picture. That part surprised me, as I would have thought it worked the opposite way. I love learning this!

Great job with your moon picture - sometimes all it takes is to ask for a little help on here and you will get an answer from someone who knows! Happy Photographing! Have fun and get lots of neat shots!

Robin that is a fabulous photo of the moon. Just awesome. I've tried over the past few years to get a good photo of the moon, but it always looks like a great big blob just hanging in the night sky. Nowhere as clear as the photo you took, where you can actually see the 'man in the moon'. Awesome.

Ive tried for years to get a good moon shot, but they never ever turn out! Mine look like a far off flashlight, when actually im trying to capture the shadows of mountains on the moon, like I can clearly see in your pic!!! Fantastic!

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful comments! I do appreciate it so much, as I am so new to DSLR. And I love that others here help us newbies in learning. It is great support!

I was excited it turned out so well - now off to more challenges!

Thanks again!

I also like how you framed your picture too!!

Thanks, I use a couple of programs from OnOne Software - they are plug-ins for Photoschop. They have one called Frames and it has hundreds of choices that I just love.

Archived