Best Lens?

harpangel36

I am the proud owner of a Canon Rebel T2 Digital camera. I am a total newbie and have only ever had a point and shoot. I can't wait to learn to use it. Since fighting breast cancer, I don't have the strength to carry around a bunch of lenses and wondered if I could choose one lens that would somewhat do it all what would you all recommend? I will mostly be photographing my grandchildren and nature (flowers, sunsets, etc). Thanks so much for any suggestions.

looks into the nifty fifty or canon efs 50mm 1:1.8 II is it's offical name LOL check out ebay for great deals on it it is light weight and small

yes, those will work well... are you looking for a fixed lens or a zoom? the nifty fifty really is a great little lens for the money.. my dd just got it after she took mine to try and didn't want to take it off of her XT... :rofl: ....... I finally told her to get her own!

Guest DeeMac

I relate to what you're saying. I saved my pennies and bought the Tamron 18-270mm VR lens and it does everything. I got some wonderful shots at the grandson's football games with it full out, and I've also gotten awesome closeups of their beautiful faces at a very close range. I have also had good results shooting wildlife and flowers. I'm very pleased with it. I'm happy to not have to keep changing lenses.

If I could only have one lens, I'd go with the Tamron zoom. I have the 18-200 with macro and love it. The macro shots come out great. I also got some great shots of my granddaughter cheerleading.

Nevermind, I looked it up on the net and it's a weee bit out of my price range. Maybe after I get my three left at home through college. lol

I did the same but my kids are all gone (opps) out of my price range right now too!

I am the proud owner of a Canon Rebel T2 Digital camera. I am a total newbie and have only ever had a point and shoot. I can't wait to learn to use it. Since fighting breast cancer, I don't have the strength to carry around a bunch of lenses and wondered if I could choose one lens that would somewhat do it all what would you all recommend? I will mostly be photographing my grandchildren and nature (flowers, sunsets, etc). Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Congratulations on your new Rebel T2 - it's the latest and greatest from Canon. I got my first DSLR at Christmas (Rebel T1i) and felt a little overwhelmed at all of the choices and lens.

Did you get the kit lens with your camera? It is quite a capable lens. I have RA and am 56 years old, so I had the same concerns about heavy lens and all of that. My goal is to have clear, crisp photos and after much debate I bought a good solid lens. It was costly (least to me, but not like the L Lens) and I leave it on my camera most of the time. I do like the nifty fifty, but love the quality and results of the better lens. The lens I purchased is 15mm-85mm, which is great for all the grandkids and nature shots. It has IS, which is a big factor to me. It is also heavier than the kit lens and 50mm; which actually helps me. I can hold the camera much steadier with the extra weight.

There is a Canon Forum that has many, many posts on different lens, picture results and pros and cons. I found that most useful. Just Google Canon POTN and it will take you there.

Mostly, enjoy the camera, it is so much fun learning photography.

Enjoy

Robin, I would love to have that lens - the 15 - 85mm you just got! But since I bought the additional 55 - 250mm when I first got my camera, and I've FINALLY ordered the "nifty fifty", an expensive lens like that is just not in my budget right now. (We've still got one more grandson in college!)

It's interesting to hear you say that it's extra weight helps you to hold the camera steady. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I have the 85mm 1.4 and love it. It is more pricer around 350.00 I think, but I have that instead of the niffty fifty. I also have the Tameron 10-35 for my wider angle shots, again that is a bit more price. But all these lenses I saved up for. You would be surprised how much a dollar or two a week will get you.

Sarah -

It is a very nice lens...way more than I would have thought I would ever spend on a lens, but the fact that the lens last "forever" helped ease the co$t. But it takes beautiful pictures, so I am very happy.

So you are getting the 50mm lens? Can't wait to hear how you like it. Have fun with it!

Julie, I was checking out the 85mm lens myself, I have seen some great shots with it. I bet you have a lot of fun with it.

But it is crazy how many lens are out there and the price on some of them....ouch!

• 2 months later...

It was great reading all of this advice. Please explain what the nifty fifty is good for. I have the kit lens (18-55mm) on my Rebel XT (I don't like my camera very much, but I'm determined to learn to use it instead of purchasing a newer one.....yet). I want to take portraits of my kids in my "beginner studio" in my basement and outside portraits of my kids. I LOVE what I've seen people do for senior pictures: make the background very blurry and the subject very sharp, especially the eyes. Someone recommended the nifty fifty for this purpose. But I don't understand lenses. If my kit lens goes to 55mm, how is this 50mm 1.8 lens different than my kit lens? Is it because of the aperture on the lens (that's what the 1.8 means, right?)? Does the 1.8 on the lens allow me to get a blurrier background than my camera can be set for? I have been playing with AV lately, and realized that I am getting better lighting than the auto and portrait mode, so I'm inspired to keep trying! I am currently having no success in the M mode though (maybe if I use a tripod, I'll have better luck with shutter speeds??).

Your posts have inspired me to do more research! Thanks for the motivation.

I am alittle jealous!!

Have fun with your new toy.

I too would love to get a nifty fifty.

It was great reading all of this advice. Please explain what the nifty fifty is good for. I have the kit lens (18-55mm) on my Rebel XT (I don't like my camera very much, but I'm determined to learn to use it instead of purchasing a newer one.....yet). I want to take portraits of my kids in my "beginner studio" in my basement and outside portraits of my kids. I LOVE what I've seen people do for senior pictures: make the background very blurry and the subject very sharp, especially the eyes. Someone recommended the nifty fifty for this purpose. But I don't understand lenses. If my kit lens goes to 55mm, how is this 50mm 1.8 lens different than my kit lens? Is it because of the aperture on the lens (that's what the 1.8 means, right?)? Does the 1.8 on the lens allow me to get a blurrier background than my camera can be set for? I have been playing with AV lately, and realized that I am getting better lighting than the auto and portrait mode, so I'm inspired to keep trying! I am currently having no success in the M mode though (maybe if I use a tripod, I'll have better luck with shutter speeds??).

Your posts have inspired me to do more research! Thanks for the motivation.

It is the low aperture of the 50mm lenses that make them really good for portraits with that soft fuzzy background. Usually the kit lenses have about a 4.5-5.5 aperture. You can get a 50 mm 1.8 for right around $100, while a zoom lens with a even a 2.8 aperture is going to be very pricey.

I think Robin made a great choice for an all around, multi-purpose lens that is not too heavy or bulky. the nifty fifty is superb for portraits, but I don't think its very good for landscape type photos. I have the second iteration of the 18-55 kit lens. The first time around on the Rebel and Rebel XT, it was really a cheap lens and it showed, but Canon improved it and since the XS it is really a fairly decent lens. I have a 55-200 that is fairly decent for many uses, mostly landscape and some macro work. If I recall (bought it several years ago) it ran around $500 and is just a bit bulkier and heavier than the 18-55. Its not as sharp as I would like, but is ok for standard sized prints, just not really big enlargements.

I'm saving up for a wide angle zoom in the L series. Gonna take quite awhile to save that. Those L series are pricey.

I'm a Canon-girl, but when it comes to lenses, I'm not very faithful...

My favourite all round-lens is a Tamron zoom-lens. It's a 28-300mm, f3.5-6.3 with vibration control and macro functionality.

I would say it's mounted on my camera about 90% of the time and is absolutely fabulous for traveling!

I have a Sigma wide angle, 10-20mm, f4-5.6

I used this a lot inside churches and castles on my trip to Scotland last fall and got amazing results!!!

These are the two I use the most.

Then I also have a "Nifty Fifty" f1.4 - mine's a Sigma. But since I don't shoot that many portraits, I don't use it a whole lot...

My macro (that I had forgotten about and just "discovered") is Tokina 90mm f2.8 and I took some macro-shots of my Peonies today. They turned out awesome! So I guess I'll play lots more with this one!

Then I have a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. It was quite pricey, but not as the Canon-equivalent would have been... It's also quite heavy! But I use this one when I shoot concerts and other things in difficult lighting.

And then there's the Lensbaby Composer! Total toy! I played with that one on the Peonies today too!

But all the last ones are kind of "specialized".

If it was me, I would go for a powerfull all-around zoom similar to my Tamron 28-300mm.

And then I would choose between a wide angle or a "Nifty Fifty".

If you're a traveller like me - the wide angle!!!

If you have kids, grandkids or just a general penchant for portrait-photography - the 50mm!!!

I'm done now! :disappearing-smilie:

PS. I have a variety of Canon-lenses too, like kit-lenses and stuff. But I let DH use those on his Rebel and I use "mine" on my 50D...

Archived