I Could Use Some Camera Advice

Sara Arell

I have several digital cameras but the one I like the best and want to upgrade my lenses on is my Canon Rebel Xti - I want a new Zoom lens and also a Macro for it but my research so far shows that the Zoom lens recommended is over $700 and the Macro is around $300. Just wondered if anyone else has this camera and these lenses and if you know anything about maybe a better price somewhere? From what I have read the Zoom recommended is quite heavy (which I really don't mind too much) but the price is just way more than I thought it would be. I would appreciate any help please.

Sara,

I don't own a Canon ... I own Nikon... so cannot speak directly about the lenses you are looking at. However here is what I can tell you ...

About 9 years (or more... I was shooting film) ago I purchased an 80-200 F2.8 Nikkor zoom lens. At the time the lens cost about $900. It's a heavy lens. I absolutely LOVE this lens. I could have gone cheaper but am so thankful I didn't. The reasons I love this lens...

It is fast. Faster than a lens that has a less open lowest aperture number

It takes AWESOME pictures

It can take pictures where other lenses with the same zoom but higher aperture numbers cannot.

I have never regretted saving my money until I could afford this lens. In addition, now that I've moved to digital (ok, so that was about 6 years ago), this lens works on my digital camera AND it is now the equivalent to a 100-300mm lens due to the different magnification on a digital SLR.

Before I purchased this lens, I also purchased a 105 macro Nikkor. Again, this lens was expensive but I don't remember exactly how much. I have not regretted making this purchase but since I moved to digital it isn't QUITE as useful since the magnification is really about 150mm now. Still, for when I want to take those flower shots, it can't be beat.

As a general rule of thumb, you really should expect to pay more for your lenses than you do for your camera bodies. As long as you stay with the same 'brand' (nikon vs. canon) and you're careful when you upgrade your camera body, you should be able to use your lenses for a VERY long time.

What I mean about being careful when upgrading camera body is the following (again, I only know Nikon).

My film lenses above are not fully functional with the D40, D3000, or the D5000 consumer model bodies (maybe a few other bodies as well). These bodies are made for entry level consumers and the lenses that fully function with them are digital lenses only. I could use my lenses on these bodies but things like auto-focus and possibly metering would not function well or at all. However, my lenses work perfectly on my D70 and would continue to function perfectly with a D90 (both considered pro-sumer models).

Hope my Nikon knowledge can help you with your Canon lens decision :)

Guest DeeMac

I have a Nikon D5000. I purchased the Tamron 18-270mm with macro capability instead of the kit lenses and am very happy with it for out in the field, photographing sports, doing portraits, macros etc. I have clumsy hands due to arthritis and I love not having to change lenses. I know they make it for Canons. It is in the $600 range. So you might want to research that. I also recently saw a YouTube by Bryan Peterson (my favorite photography author) that demonstrates the Canon 500D lens (they call it a lens but it works like a filter) that brings you even closer when doing macro, so I am researching that. I've pretty much decided that I'm getting the 72mm size for my Tamron lens. You can get it at B&H for $124, altho they are out-of-stock right now. I will purchase that because I love doing macro. Good luck! It is overwhelming!!!!

Oh, thank you - that is great advice. I also still have my Nikon camera with which I shot film and have all the lenses available for it - it is an awesome camera - wish I could use those lenses on my Canon - I also have a couple of Nikon digital cameras too but think they are too small to handle the lenses for my older Nikon; however, I will sure go look at see what I might be able to do.

I guess I was just kind of shocked at the high prices of the lens that I looked at - and it seemed to be the same everywhere I looked pretty much - give or take a dollar or two.

My poor film Nikon just sits in it's bag and hasn't been used for a long time - I got some great pics with it - now makes me wish I had stuck with Nikon when I bought an expensive digital camera. My Canon does take some great pics - I have always used Nikon and really don't know why I went with the Canon this time but I did - hmmmmmm....wonder what my dh would think about me just buying another Nikon digital? LOL I already know the answer to that!

Thanks for all of your advice - it has me thinking.

Sara,

You might want to look into a Nikon body ... check your lenses. Honestly, it could be the cheaper way to go and if you sold the Canon body you could recoup some of your outlay. You could sell the nikon film body but you probably wouldn't get very much for it :).

It's something to consider. I don't know how old your film lenses are ... like I said, mine have to be pushing 9 or 10 years now and they work perfectly with my Nikon DSLR. Like you I have a Nikon film SLR body that for the most part never gets touched anymore. Took it out a few months ago and realized there was still film in it ... shot that film and the pics came out as clear as ever ... which is nice to know. Camera hadn't been touched since 04 and still worked beautifully.

As DeeMac said another option is a Tamron lens. Tamron makes lenses for both Canon and Nikon (and maybe Sony). They tend to be cheaper than Nikkor or Canon lenses and I've been told work very well (no first hand experience here since I found out about them AFTER I had purchased my Nikkor lenses).

Sara,

You might want to look into a Nikon body ... check your lenses. Honestly, it could be the cheaper way to go and if you sold the Canon body you could recoup some of your outlay. You could sell the nikon film body but you probably wouldn't get very much for it :).

It's something to consider. I don't know how old your film lenses are ... like I said, mine have to be pushing 9 or 10 years now and they work perfectly with my Nikon DSLR. Like you I have a Nikon film SLR body that for the most part never gets touched anymore. Took it out a few months ago and realized there was still film in it ... shot that film and the pics came out as clear as ever ... which is nice to know. Camera hadn't been touched since 04 and still worked beautifully.

As DeeMac said another option is a Tamron lens. Tamron makes lenses for both Canon and Nikon (and maybe Sony). They tend to be cheaper than Nikkor or Canon lenses and I've been told work very well (no first hand experience here since I found out about them AFTER I had purchased my Nikkor lenses).

Thanks for more great ideas - I am checking into the Tamron lenses - I really do appreciate your help and the time you put into commenting here for me.

Sara, I have a Tamron 18 - 200mm lens with macro on my Sony and I love it. It takes sharp pictures and the macro is great. It is a little bit heavy but probably no heavier than a larger zoom. At times (taking cheer leading pics in a gym) I wish it were a bit faster but I have gotten some great cheerleading pics with it.

I had a Tamron 18-300 on my film camera also which is why I purchased it for my Sony DSLR. HTH

THANK YOU! Margot - I am researching the Tamron 18 - 200mm lens with macro this morning - it sounds as if the general consensus thinks it's a great lens. Thanks so much for your input - I appreciate it so much.

Guest DeeMac

Sara, I'm looking forward to hearing what you decided on. It's finally warm enough where I live to sit out on my patio to "shoot" the birds. I've gotten some really great shots with my 18-270mm Tamron full out. They show every detail of the bird's eye, feathers etc. We have blue birds and swallows competing for the bluebird house.....super photo ops. Anyway, let us know what you get. I'm still waiting for B&H to get the Canon 500D lens/filter in so I can order that for my Tamron lens. I'll let you all know what I think of it for macro shooting. Dee :)

i also own a nikon - but i say look into tamron and sigma lenses too.

what do you plan on shooting with your zoom and macro? sports? general day to day? portraits?

what lenses do you have currently? will you still be using them, or is this more of a replacing them kinda thing?

Sara, I'm looking forward to hearing what you decided on. It's finally warm enough where I live to sit out on my patio to "shoot" the birds. I've gotten some really great shots with my 18-270mm Tamron full out. They show every detail of the bird's eye, feathers etc. We have blue birds and swallows competing for the bluebird house.....super photo ops. Anyway, let us know what you get. I'm still waiting for B&H to get the Canon 500D lens/filter in so I can order that for my Tamron lens. I'll let you all know what I think of it for macro shooting. Dee :)

I have decided on the Tamron - mainly because I like my Canon so much - always a Nikon girl before - don't know what made me buy a Canon but had friends who had one and they convinced me - it really exciteds me that that you lens gets so many details - that's what I'm looking for - and the Macro I want for portraits but remembering my film Nikon Zoom, I got some pretty awesome close-ups - they were really almost professional, if I do say so myself! Thanks for the tip - the Tamron price is soooooooo much better and what I read about the Tamron sounds awfully good. So I will be buying one in the next week or so.

You will be the first to know! Thanks so much! Now, to convince Rich that this is a necessary purchase - don't think I will have much trouble with that! :giggle_bear::giggle_bear:

Hi Sara!

Recently, I found a couple of old Canon Lenses dating back to when I had an EOS50E (about 10 years ago). I've recently tried to change to a high end "bridge" camera and found it wasn't quite as capable as I had imagined. So, it went the way of the Ebay. I found out that my old Canon lenses (EF) would work with a new digital body. So I went for a 400D and Grip and started using the old lenses. My, what a surprise! Even after all this time they are still super crisp!

Sadly, my old flashgun won't work, so I've at least got to buy one of those.

Just my 2 pennorth!

Wow! Dave, I'm so honored - you don't comment on here often - I feel special and I thank you so much for your advice - things like this are just so expensive and I just have to think it through carefully before handing my credit card for the lenses - I appreciate your input so much. Thanks - and hey, why don't you join in on some of the other chatter around here too - we would love it!

Guest DeeMac

Sara,

FYI: I just got a notice from Tamron (I'm on their email list) and they have a $100 rebate offer going on from May1st - May 10th.

Dee :)

Sara,

FYI: I just got a notice from Tamron (I'm on their email list) and they have a $100 rebate offer going on from May1st - May 10th.

Dee :)

OMG - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW - MY QUARTER BANK WILL LOVE THIS! AND.........DH WILL TOO!.......AND I MAY GET IT SOONER THAN LATER NOW! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I have decided on the Tamron - mainly because I like my Canon so much - always a Nikon girl before - don't know what made me buy a Canon but had friends who had one and they convinced me - it really exciteds me that that you lens gets so many details - that's what I'm looking for - and the Macro I want for portraits but remembering my film Nikon Zoom, I got some pretty awesome close-ups - they were really almost professional, if I do say so myself! Thanks for the tip - the Tamron price is soooooooo much better and what I read about the Tamron sounds awfully good. So I will be buying one in the next week or so.

Sara - here is a link to my LO - photos shot with my Tamron - HTH Tulips

Sara - here is a link to my LO - photos shot with my Tamron - HTH Tulips

I saw that and it is just beautiful! I am convinced that this is the lens to buy now - Your tulip photo should be framed and hung on a wall in your house! It is awesome!

Guest DeeMac

I have not been able to get to the computer for days so today when I finally could, I went straight to the messageboard to see if you have your new lens yet Sara! Which Tamron did you decide to get.....the 18-200 or the 18-270?

Dee

PS I joined our county Camera Club last week and I'm very excited. They do photo walks and hikes, field trips to NYC, DC and Philly, special teaching programs etc. Fun, fun, fun!!!!

Well, I finally got my new lens after much research - since the lens that I use on my camera now is a Canon lens and an 18-55mm, and after pricing and reading and pricing and reading some more, I finally talked to someone at Canon on the phone and found that they did indeed have a Canon 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens for the Canon Rebel Xti EOS and it was only $179.00 - shipping was free since I bought it through Staples where I have my business account. So I'm a happy camper - the lens took just two days to get here and I LOVE it!

I have only played with it a little but it's looking good for portraits, sports shots, and anything else I want - I would bet it stays on my camera all the time and that my 18-55mm will live in the case for awhile! I could have gotten and 18-300mm but decided not to since my other lens pretty much covers that. Now, for the Macro - maybe next month. I got a good price cause I did it through my business account and I was very surprised that I could get the lens I wanted for such a low price. It really is amazing - and I did try a Tamron and played with it - it was more expensive and heavier than the Canon lens is. So I think and hope I made a good choice.

I have that lens Sara and love it!! That's why I didn't get the 18-270mm, because my camera came with 15-55 mm. So I too figured that it was covered. Though at times I wish I would have gotten that lens because when I want to do something up closer, then I have to swap lens back and forth all the time. But I still love my lens. I have the macro close-up lens to add to my lens. It's not as good as a regular macro lens but it's good enough for me for now. It may take me years to save up for a macro lens, but I'd like one some day. I'm saving my pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, and spare singles LOL

I know, Di - the Macro is close to $500 - I am bound and determined to get it - what makes me so mad is that I have all of those lenses plus some for my film Nikon - I think I am going to try and sell the whole kit and kaboodle and see what I can get for it and that will help me some with buying the macro - I've missed too many opportunities needing a macro and I really, really, really want one - maybe I will win the lottery - or find out I have a rich uncle I didn't know about - but til then..............I wait.

Good to know you have the same lens and like it - it is a lot lighter than the Tamron much to my surprise - really the weight didn't bother me - it was just the cost.

Archived