Iphoto Organizing

harpangel36

I have about 4,000 photos in my iphoto on my mac I got for Christmas. Some are photos taken with my camera. some are photos the kids have sent me and some are scanned photos or taken from CD’s. My problem is I have no idea where to start organizing them. I know iphoto is great for organizing but I don’t know where to start. I have several hundred different events and don’t know how to organize them into albums or just leave them all in events and try to organize the events. Any help would be so appreciated.

I have all my events arranged by name, but I use a naming system that puts the date first... my latest event is named "2010.05.01 Nana's Birthday". I do this because I like for my photos to be in date order, but I have several events of really old family photos that I like at the top of the list because I would never remember that they were scanned in October of 09.

I think that arranging photos is a personal preference thing... this is just what I do. :)

Hi Roxanne! I use iPhoto Library Manager and have set up several different libraries: my main one I call Photo Library; then I have the one with photos of my grandson called Austin, et al; I have a library for my Reunion (this is the genealogy program I use) photos; another library is called Trips Out West (my sister lives in Oregon and my mom lived with her till Feb. and now mom lives with me); another library called Lake Gaston (annual trip with my girlfriends) and on and on. I have 9 different libraries. My main library called Photo Library contains pictures of our house here, our flowers, trips we take, etc. I have over 5500 pictures in that library and over 6600 in Austin's library-the little guy isn't even one year old yet! Using iPhoto Library Manager has made it much easier for me to keep track of my photos.

So that is a rather long explanation of how I organize my photos in iPhoto! Ask me for more details if you have questions, take care, Judy

I'm ready to start downloading some digital scrapbooking collections and files (my ScrapSimple Club needs to go somewhere), but where do I download them to? Do these all go into iPhoto? What suggestions do you have for the download organization...by source (ScrapGirls) or what?

Bonnie,

I have all my scrapbooking supplies sorted in Finder. You can search using spotlight or there is a search feature built into finder and depending on which version of OSX you are running, you can have the thumbnails displayed as the image...

Bonnie-I have all my downloads go into the Downloads folder and from there I move things around. I put all my digi stuff that isn't tagged yet into a folder within Documents--->Digi Stuff--->NEW TAG. That is where they stay till I open Picasa and start tagging everything in the NEW TAG folder and then move them into their respective folders within Digi Stuff. My other folders within Digi Stuff are: abrsetc, alphasetc, calendarstuff, elements, fasteners,frames, journalingetc, papers, quickpages, ribbonsetc, stitching, templates and overlays (the latter 2 are combined into one folder).

The Finder is a good way to organize also-I just didn't find it as good as Picasa. Just my personal preference. I can also use the Finder to view my digi stuff even though I use Picasa for tagging.

Another thing I do is at the same time I am moving the new stuff to tag into the NEW TAG folder, I also put the same stuff into another folder I named, Copy then move files-when I get a long list, I move them to an external drive and store them there. So in case my drive crashes or I lose something, I can find it there and put it back into Picasa. Just added insurance.

I tried using iPhoto to organize my digi stuff quite awhile ago and it just didn't work-lots of problems. Bridge didn't work for me either. I have tried a few other programs to organize but so far Picasa works best for me.

Have fun, write back if you have any other questions! Judy

Archived