Anyone Ever Use A Lensbaby?

bjc

this week i am going to a free class at b and h on using the lens baby...it will be a how to... and then they lend you the lens and you shoot in central park...wondering if anyone has used the lens baby or has any pointers on it....

Bobbie - what an awesome opportunity! I've looked at the Lens Baby on line but have never even seen one! I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts, what you learned and see some photos. Keep us posted.

I love my lensbaby! I use it a lot. That sounds like a great class.

Thess - Just stick it on your camera and start taking pictures. I tend to keep the 4.0 aperture disk in for general photos. It gives a nice edge blur and isn't to hard to focus the sweetspot.

Thess - Just stick it on your camera and start taking pictures. I tend to keep the 4.0 aperture disk in for general photos. It gives a nice edge blur and isn't to hard to focus the sweetspot.

Thanks for the tip, Sara! I'm definitely trying with that disc first!

I went up to "my" room after posting and took my Lensbaby out to take to the countryhouse this coming weekend!

I have the "Composer" and a kit with three extra "Opticals"... Can't wait to play!

:party-smiley-048:

Thanks for the tip, Sara! I'm definitely trying with that disc first!

I went up to "my" room after posting and took my Lensbaby out to take to the countryhouse this coming weekend!

I have the "Composer" and a kit with three extra "Opticals"... Can't wait to play!

:party-smiley-048:

Good for you! I have the Composer, too. I don't have any other opticals (although I really want some of them), but I do have the creative aperture kit, as well as the wide angle adapter, the telephoto adapter and the 2 macros. I love to put the macro on with the telephoto or wide angle adapter.

The creative aperture kit is neat. It turns pinpoints of light into shapes, like this Hearts.

Some examples of my macro stuff here and here.

I think the lensbaby is my favorite lens, although I don't have many to choose from. It is a great lens and not so pricey. I really want the fisheye optic.

Sara - The one of your son with the hearts is just gorgeous!!!

And the macro-shots are wonderful!

I really need to play this weekend! It's one of the biggest holidays in Sweden this Friday - Midsummer's Eve - and I have 3 days off!

Lots of time to play around with my camera!

What is a lens baby?

A lensbaby is a brand. It is a tilt-shift lens. It has a focal spot that you can move around by tilting/angling the lens. It is a very fun creative lens with lots of adapters and such. Google "lensbaby" and you can find their website.

well the class was a lot of fun... we did a class on how to use it then they gave out the loaners..they were the composer though they talked about the others and also the special attachments too.... we went to central park and i gave it a try... fun fun fun...makes the ordinary just a fun subject.... i am trying to think how i can post some of the photos.... and i am trying to decide whether to buy one... i think it would be fun on days u just dont feel inspired

btw... for those who dont have full sensor camera they suggest using the 2.8 aperature ...so that is what i used.... also it is easier to use with a canon... all i had to do was shoot in aperature priority... and with center weighted

I don't quite understand what a Lensbaby does.

A movable focal point? So instead of using the in-camera feature to change focal points, you move the lens? Is that correct?

Does it blur out more of the out-of-focal-point parts of shot than a lower aperture number does?

I'm off to check to see how much these are at B&H...

Edited to add: LOL... there's a "Control Freak" series. Sounds like something I'd love!

A movable focal point? So instead of using the in-camera feature to change focal points, you move the lens? Is that correct?

Does it blur out more of the out-of-focal-point parts of shot than a lower aperture number does?

Edited to add: LOL... there's a "Control Freak" series. Sounds like something I'd love!

yes, becca... thats what it does...makes a smaller sweet spot and a bigger blur...there are also things you can add to it...that give dreamy looks ...it is fun thing ... i am going to figure out posting a few of my pics... also i am going to check out flickr... there is prob a lensbaby group...and that would be a place to see what people have done with it.... i love selective focus...but it is a bit tricky since nothing auto in this lens...so you have to find the sweet spot and my eyes arent what they used to be..lol'

yes, they mentined the one called control freak...love that name....i will check my notes as to what they said that one was good for...i think macro stuff.... the composer i think is the basic one that most peopleseem to use... including the sg who posted here..

yes, becca... thats what it does...makes a smaller sweet spot and a bigger blur...there are also things you can add to it...that give dreamy looks ...it is fun thing ... i am going to figure out posting a few of my pics... also i am going to check out flickr... there is prob a lensbaby group...and that would be a place to see what people have done with it.... i love selective focus...but it is a bit tricky since nothing auto in this lens...so you have to find the sweet spot and my eyes arent what they used to be..lol'

yes, they mentined the one called control freak...love that name....i will check my notes as to what they said that one was good for...i think macro stuff.... the composer i think is the basic one that most peopleseem to use... including the sg who posted here..

Yes!!! There are tons of Lensbaby-pics on Flickr!!!

Just do a search with "lensbaby" and you get all the inspiration you can ever need!

i have a bunch of the photos i took with the lensbaby...i put them in a picasa webalbum... i am not sure the best way to show them to you all...but i am thinking if anyone wants to see them they can pm me with their email and i will email you the picasa webalbum....

or if you have a better and easy suggestion let me know

I played with my Lensbaby Composer today for about an hour and LOVED it!!!

I just went on-line to a site in the UK and ordered the kit with the extra aperture-discs (heart and stuff), the macro-lenses and some other fun stuff.

And the FishEye-optic!!! I always wanted one, and this one was a bargain compared to the Canon-stuff...

I just went on-line to a site in the UK and ordered the kit with the extra aperture-discs (heart and stuff), the macro-lenses and some other fun stuff.

And the FishEye-optic!!! I always wanted one, and this one was a bargain compared to the Canon-stuff...

the extras sound cool..they showed them and photos at the workshop... also the fisheye they said is the least expensive way to go to have a fish eye...but if you have full frame camera then you will see the circle around it

love to see your photos with the lensbaby...have you posted them anywhere?

Now that you have broken your "I didn't use" pattern, don't forget to use the new toys! :disappearing-smilie:

Margot, I promise to use mygadgets from now on. Otherwise I'll let you know and you can fly over and take them off my hands!!!

Bobbie, I'll let you know when I've uploaded somewhere! It'll probably be to my Flickr-account, but I'll send you a message!

Thess - I would love to see your photos when you upload them.

Bobbie - I love your photos! The lensbaby really gives a great effect and I was surprised that they were so sharp. How did you get the different color effects?

I think I need to start saving for a lensbaby.

Bobbie - I love your photos! The lensbaby really gives a great effect and I was surprised that they were so sharp. How did you get the different color effects?

if you are talking about the bokeh that is from the lens...it creates some great stuff... or maybe you are talking about how the photos were processed...i used lightroom and some presets for some of the photos..but the colors sooc were pretty great

Thanks Bobbie - I didn't realize you had processed and added effects in LR. I was thinking, boy that was a really loooong kiss! lol

the effects like the blurs and bokehs are from the lensbaby... just the color tones, like bw ... less saturation etc are from LR processing... no cropping ..on any photos

margo it is a fun lens and i think you would like for your flower photos... definately not a must have...just a fun thing and makes you see things differently to compose a pic

also wanted to add...that lovey dovey couple did just keep the kiss going..lol...i think they knew i was taking their photo and thought it was fun...i did get a bunch of them kissing... and the lens btw is a 50 mm...i was up on some steps...

Archived