Converting Brushes

Guest katykins

Guest katykins

please would someone be able to walk me through loading brushes I use ps7 and believe you need to convert them before you can load them. thank you very much katykins

Guest katykins

I have CS4 open right now, and I don't think it will let me open both programs at once. I have a few things to finish before I can get to it, but I'll try to come up with something for you by the end of the day.

thank you very much

Here's how to make ABR brushes in PS 7, from a set of SG brushes that include PNG files and an ASL.

Ignore the "too recent" ABR file.

Drag each PNG file into your PS 7 workspace.

Select each entire PNG file, best done by CTRL + CLICK on the thumbnail in the layers palette. You should see the "marching ants" around all portions of the image.

Click Edit, Define Brush... and name it.

Close that PNG, and repeat Selecting and Edit, Define Brush for each image in the set.

When you have done them all, select the brush tool if it's not already selected. Clcik the brush dropdown, and then the small double arrows to the right, and select Preset Manager.

Click the first of your new brush thumbnails, and then press and hold the shift key as you select the remainder of them. It's a little fussy, but the selected brushes should have a heavy border. Click Save Set... and Name the set. This will create an ABR file for you of the brush images. You can add or edit the set once it's created, using the preset manager.

Hope this helps!

(Note, I have not tried this with Dynamic brushes; I suspect they will be "static," but will otherwise work fine.)

p.s., this sounds slow and tedious, but once I looked up the information, it only took about 20 minutes, including checking and writing the description above, so it's not bad at all.

If you're in a hurry to use just one specific image, you can stop right after dragging them image in, CTRL + Click selecting its thumbnail, and clicking Edit, Define Brush.

Guest katykins

Here's how to make ABR brushes in PS 7, from a set of SG brushes that include PNG files and an ASL.

Ignore the ASL file or the "too recent" ABR file.

Select each entire PNG file, best done by CTRL + CLICK on the thumbnail in the layers palette. You should see the "marching ants" around all portions of the image.

Close that PNG, and repeat Selecting and Edit, Define Brush for each image in the set.

When you have done them all, select the brush tool if it's not already selected. Clcik the brush dropdown, and then the small double arrows to the right, and select Preset Manager.

Click the first of your new brush thumbnails, and then press and hold the shift key as you select the remainder of them. It's a little fussy, but the selected brushes should have a heavy border. Click Save Set... and Name the set. This will create an ABR file for you of the brush images. You can add or edit the set once it's created, using the preset manager.

Hope this helps!

(Note, I have not tried this with Dynamic brushes; I suspect they will be "static," but will otherwise work fine.)

Barbara thanks for your help it looks straight forward but I am unable to find the png file, I am sure it will be right in front of me, I have got the zipped file where do I go to find the png file, sorry for asking such basic questions

katykins

Guest katykins

Ignore the ASL file or the "too recent" ABR file.

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU THANK YOU thank you very much have done it, it is so easy when you find the png files, thanks for all your help

Barbara your instructions were straight forward and easy to follow. I always have such trouble with brushes, that I won't even touch dynamic brushes yet. Thanks for the help.

Archived