Need Advice On Lenses

CRS

I'm seriously considering the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. It comes with a 18-55mm IS lens. Best Buy has a bundle that includes the 55-250mm IS Telephoto lens (among other things). I take mostly photos of my girls (portrait and action shots) and nature...flowers and birds. I loved my telephoto lens for my last camera because it created great depth of field.

So, my question is this...For the types of photos I take, should I get the 55-250mm lens or will the 18-55mm fit my purposes for now? I know I'll quickly become a lens addict, lol.

All this info is making my head spin, lol!!

I'm looking at the same package Carla! I would think that the 55-250mm would come in handy for shooting birds. It's hard to get very close to them. I have almost enough money saved up to get the camera and basic kit lens but I'll have to save for a few more months to include the 55-250mm in the package. You save about $100 if you do the bundle.

I had actually decided on the Canon XSi and then found out it has been discontinued. There are a few of them out there but I've only found online sources. I wanted that one because I figured 12 megapixels was enough for me and I really didn't want to pay for the video capabilities. Oh well.

I just got 2 lenses in my 7D bundle - one 28 - 135 and the other 70 - 300. Getting the extra lens was unexpected and unbudgeted, but I'm really glad I have it. And over all, the bundles save you $$ over buying them later individually.

I would definitely get the 55-250. My Rebel XSi came with the 18-55, and I purchased the 55-250 later. So much nicer for zooming in on the birds. HTH :)

I think that you answered your own question with 'I know I'll quickly become a lens addict, lol'. If you can get a deal on it now, I would go for it. I got a good buy on one when I got my camera - in fact, it's the one that I took my fireworks photos with and I was quite a distance from the area where they were being let off. I'm sure that you won't regret it.

If you're questioning it at all, go to a local store and check the lenses out, on the camera. That way you'll know if it's for you or not. The clerk at the store where I checked things out was very helpful and let me check out what things looked like through several different lenses.

I hope you get what you want and end up loving it! :-)

Go for the bundle! I have the equivalent of both those with my camera and use both all the time. Think of it this way with the 18-55 you will get great photos of things right around you but if the 55 is not close enough then the 55-250 goes from the closest the first lens can do to WAY closer!

Carla, definitely get the 55-250 that comes bundled. You'll get a good price and it is a nice addition to the 18-55 kit lens. I have both and enjoying using them. You'll also want to get the 50mm prime lens called the "nifty-fifty". You can get quite a deal on the 1.8 (around $100 everywhere), and then there is the 1.4 which is quite a bit more expensive - just under $400, I think. This is a great lens for low light and portrait photography, does a great job with DOF.

I also have the camera you are looking at. You won't regret this decision!

Thank you for all the replies! I bit the bullet and ordered it!!! Now I have to wait for it to arrive....I'm not very good at that, lol!! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I can start playing with it. Thank you all!!!

Hooray for you Carla! There are quite a few of us here at SG that have that camera, or the one that came shortly after, so I'm sure you'll be able to get any questions you might have answered! (Probably not by me - I'm still in the "asking" mode!) It will be fun to learn together!

Archived