My First Newborn Shoot

PBarnes

I am so pumped!! I just got back from doing my first newborn shoot. A nephew of mine and his wife just had a little girl two weeks ago and they gave me the opportunity to try taking some pics. My backdrop was less than ideal (mostly not wide enough) but I got a few good shots. We had sufficient natural light in their living room despite an overcast day outside. I used Aperture Priority so I could get a short depth of field and that worked great. Baby Olivia was very accomadating for about a 1/2 hour. Mom had fed her just before I got there and she was sleeping pretty well. We got a few poses accomplished but the one that mom and I wanted the most just wasn't going to work. Mom and dad were very helpful and accomodating too.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to give it a try. I'm definitely not ready to turn pro, not that I think I want to. I'm no Tracy Raver or Amy Lemaniak. LOL I can't wait to do a ocuple of layouts. I plan to have one printed and framed to give to my nephew and his wife as a thank you for the opportunity. I have to check with them to see if it's alright if I post them.

That's great, Pat! How exciting for you. My DIL has a friend who has a business and has two hospitals as clients and she shoots all the newborn pics in the hospital if the family wants her to - just might be a career lurking around the corner for you!

I can't wait to see pictures. Just a hint for next time. . . sometimes their bed makes a great backdrop. I have also made a "nest" with pillows on the floor and covered it with a sentimental blanket and set the baby in the middle to pose her, then used the blanket as the backdrop

Thanks for the tips Laura. I had thought about shooting in her bed if she was already sleeping in there, but they had her in one of those rocker thingies when I got there. I did use a blanket and a pillow on this low coffee table. The floor might have been a good idea.

I've gotten permission to post as long as I don't put any names on anything. :)

Archived