What Lenses And Flash For Indoor Wedding

SassyPantsScraps

Hi, a good family friend has asked me to take pictures at their wedding. As honored as I am, I'm also a little freaked out! I know how important this day is and don't want to disappoint them. I've taken pictures for their engagement but they were taken outdoors.

I have a Canon rebel XSi and have a few lenses, 58mm 18-55, 50mm 1.4 and a 75-300 zoom.

The wedding is inside...what lenses and flash would you recommend. I have a very small budget to buy one, but I have thought of renting what I would need. Please help? Also, if you have any tips in taking indoor wedding pictures I would appreciate it.

I think you're fine on lenses... I would use the 50 for taking pics of all those wedding details (flowers, favors, food, etc.) that the bride might not even see and I'd use the 18-55 for the portraits. Depending on where you will be during the ceremony, would determine the lens, but I would use a zoom (mostly because that's what I'm most comfortable with).

I have a moderately priced speed light that I used at my cousins wedding. I am by no means an expert with the flash, but I used it on an angle during the reception because the venue was really small and the ceiling was kind of low. I even used it for some of the outdoor shots because it was really cloudy. I used the auto setting and was pleased with the overall outcome.

I did a friends wedding earlier this year and rented an 85mm lens and LOVED it!! I used that and my 70-200 the most (except for detail shots with my 50) As for flash you'll want to make sure first the church allows it. The one I was in did not allow flash. The area they were getting ready in was bright enough I did not have to worry about it, and we did most of the wedding party shots outside. So I didn't even take a flash.

Welcome to SGs! I agree with what Kelly and Angie said about the lenses. Having the zoom would be an advantage, but the 50mm is great for those detail shots. A speedlight would be great, but whatever you use, bouncing off ceilings and walls or reflector gives much nicer light. Try to avoid the on-camera flash unless you can use a diffuser, it gives very harsh shadows. I just read an article on wedding photography last week and one thing they pointed out is that out of several hundred wedding shots, don't expect more than 4 or 5 really great ones, but you'll probably get at least 30 ok shots. See if you can get into the venue early and do some test shots with stand-ins to check lighting etc. And move, move, move to get your shots. Lots of photography sites have great articles with tips and tricks. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

PS: I saw some of the shots Angie did for her friends and they were awesome.

If the wedding will be in a church, the ceilings will most likely be too high to effectively bounce flash. And as stated above, a direct flash without a diffuser is often way too harsh. I have a great Nikon speedlight and can bounce flash from up to 8', but it's better on lower ceilings. You can make a diffuser with wax paper and some printer paper (google it!), or you can buy one, I think for under $35. If you have a lens with a low aperture (2 or larger) then you should be fine for most indoor shots, especially if you have a tripod. I have a 50mm f1.4 lens that I used to shoot most of an indoor wedding last October. Using "foot zoom" I got a lot of great shots. Plus, since I shoot in RAW at very high quality, I could crop and zoom in Photoshop and still produce great print-quality images. For outdoor shots and the reception where I could use a flash, I used my standard 24-300 mm f.4/5.6 lens with my speedlight and bounced the flash.

Shooting a wedding can be very stressful, but lots of fun, too! Good luck!

Archived