Anyone Have Canon Dslr And Use Ai Servo

bjc

wanted to learn more about using ai servo mode..has anyone ever used or can give me some tips..i tried it today with dh running in the yard..it seems really amazing...i focused and then had high speed continuous shoot and then everything was focused even as he ran...just wondering if anyone has any tips

Bobbie, I have a Canon DSLR and have used the Al Servo only once but had great results as you did - I really have practiced that mode enough to give you advice but I play around a lot with mine and usually figure out what I want to know by doing that - but I would bet that someone will come along with a better answer for you.

Bobbie, AI Servo is incredible on our 7Ds. I pretty much leave it in that mode even when I'm just doing single shots, that way if I need to capture something moving, I'm ready. No particular tips,

"AI Servo AF. This mode is designed for photographing action subjects. The camera tracks focus on the subject regardless of changes in subject distance from side to side or approaching or moving away from the camera. The camera sets both the focus and the exposure at the moment the image is made. The 7D includes many Custom Functions that are designed to fine-tune focus in AI Servo AF mode for specific scenes and subject."

That was from a class I took from Charlotte Lowrey.

Bobbie, AI Servo is incredible on our 7Ds. I pretty much leave it in that mode even when I'm just doing single shots, that way if I need to capture something moving, I'm ready. No particular tips,

"AI Servo AF. This mode is designed for photographing action subjects. The camera tracks focus on the subject regardless of changes in subject distance from side to side or approaching or moving away from the camera. The camera sets both the focus and the exposure at the moment the image is made. The 7D includes many Custom Functions that are designed to fine-tune focus in AI Servo AF mode for specific scenes and subject."

I was kind of hoping that our camera guru would come along and see this - I knew she would have a good answer for you! Yea! For Sandi! :2468who-do-we-appreciate: :2468who-do-we-appreciate: :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

thanks sandi....i had asked the techie at canon about it .... had to call them to get help with setting custom function button to more easily change the focus points...he said to have the camera in high continuous focus.... so that is what i did.... but i first did focus and set the exposure with dh standing still.....

i was thinking alservo would be good with my dgs , the ever moving toddler! LOL.... and i see there is a alservo that switches from one focus to alservo so i was also wondering about that one...but i like you suggestion to just keep camera in alservo.... but do you have it in continuous shoot all the time too????

thanks and what is the class you mentioned with charlotte lowrey...who is she....

ps...i pm you

Charlotte Lowrey is the one who wrote the Digital Field Guide for the 7D (and I think a couple of others too).

Again from Charlotte's class: C.Fn III-3: AI Servo tracking method

Use this function to set AI Servo AF mode to track focus on a subject - the camera identifies the subject by the focus point that started the focusing - or to switch to tracking a subject that enters the frame and that is closer than the first subject (closer than is the subject at the main focus point).

Your choice depends on the subject and situation. If you are focusing on a specific athlete in a game, then you can choose to maintain focus on the first subject regardless of players who are closer to the camera. Or if you are shooting a flock of birds, then you may prefer to have the camera switch focus to the closest bird.

Note that with 19-point AF auto selection and with AF point expansion, the main focus point is the first AF point that started focus tracking. With Zone AF, the main focus point is the active AF point.

And yes I pretty much stay in continuous shooting and have learned to have a very light shutter release finger for single shots. If I'm shooting landscapes or architecture, I use AEB so I can process HDR.

Archived