Having Trouble Resizing In Layers..

jennyrene

Hi all-

I am new to Paint Shop Pro for scrapbooking/sigs/etc. Maybe someone can help me?

I have several layers with different elements in them, one is a frame,and one is a person. I want to change the size of the person so she fits in the frame.

When this was a regular image, I was able to move the image around on the canvas and use the box to resize it. Now I can't..

To get to this point, I opened up a blank layer, then opened the image I wanted..the person. At this point it was NOT listed in my layers palette. I was able to resize and move it. Then I copied the image and pasted it into the blank layer. Same with the second image(the frame). I see both layers and the girl is "inside" the frame but I'd like to increase the area of the frame to encompass her or make her smaller so she "fits".

I have not "saved" anything so far.

Hope this makes sense. It is my first foray into Paint shop.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can offer!!

Sorry Jenny, I don't use PSP so I won't be any help at all. I know we have some other PSP users, so maybe someone will come along soon who will be able to help you with it. :)

It's always a good idea to save a project when you first start it, so go to 'save as' - name the layout, then save it in your layout folder. I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly. When you activate the layer that the photo is on, OR that the frame is on - handles should show up that you can use to resize that element, as long as you pasted them to their own layer. If you got them sharing one layer, then WYSIWYG. Am I making any sense to you? :-)

That's what I thought, but the handles don't show up at all..on any of the layers. They are all numbered as seperate layers and haven't been "merged". Maybe I'll just start over. Is it correct to do the layers like this:

"I opened up a blank layer, then opened the image I wanted..the person. At this point it was NOT listed in my layers palette. I was able to resize and move it. Then I copied (ctrl C)the image and pasted (ctrl x)it into the blank layer. Same with the second image(the frame)"

I'm finding PSP to not be very intuitive :-(

Thanks for trying to help!

Edited to say:

gave up on that layout, started another just to see, and now the handles show up. I don't know what I did in that project..still a bit confused by PSP but am learning a bit just playing..

I wonder if somehow the handles got turned off in that layout? In Photoshop (which is what I use so I may be of no help, sorry;) if you accidentally turn off the handles, they are off in every layout until you turn them back on. But perhaps PSP is different that way. My other thought is if you restarted PSP before you started the new layout it may have reverted to "handles on" mode.

Bottom line: I'm glad it's working again and hope you didn't lose too much time on the first layout.

I'm so pleased that you got it working, although you had to start a new layout to do it. I'm not sure what happened with your first layout either, except that, as Cheri said, something got turned off accidentally. It does take a bit to get onto PSP, but it's a wonderful program. I ended up following the majority and got PSE, then got PS. I still have PSPX2 on my computer because I do like the program and there's things that can be done with it that can't be done with PSE, although it's comparable to PS in many ways. I hope I see your layout when it's uploaded. Have fun with it! :-)

Thanks gals..that had to be it, the handles got turned off somehow cause on every layer it was the same thing and in the next project, everything was fine. I'm trying to start simple-on a signature so we'll see how things go. I was going to use PS but there are "tube" files that I want to use in sigs that I hear are only compatible with PSP.

I am glad though that my instincts were correct-it was the program that was messed up!

Oh wow! It's gorgeous and definately doesn't look like a first try. I love it! Thanks for sharing and have a scrappin' good day! :-)

PS that photo would look great as a profile icon! :-)

Archived