Styles

Bittyfeet

Help. I'm a total newbie to PSE7. I got the style for shadows for ATCs, but realized I have absolutely no idea how to do styles. Not even where to start. I got the style, now how do I get it into my program, then how to use it once it's there. Thanks

Bittyfeet

There should be some generic instructions that would have been in a separate download from the actual product. You can also check out the free Scrap Simple Handbook, which has directions for everything Scrap Simple. The easy way to install styles, though, is to get the little program called Add-O-Matic. It installs them for you and deletes the mysterious database that has to be rebuilt every time you add a new style. Styles are really fun, though, so don't give up!

Hi Bittyfeet! Thank you for purchasing the styles - I want you to be successful in using them. As Gayle mentioned, there is a document included with the styles that will help you install and use styles in your program. It's in a zip file called: 1 Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Tools Styles Instructions.zip. After you unzip it, you will find a .pdf document that will guide you through the process.

I believe that same document is included in 1 Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook), which is a free downloadable handbook that contains the instructions for all of our ScrapSimple products. As for me, I have that printed and in a little folder, and I use it myself to help me install things into PSE. It can be a little tricky sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, you can install styles pretty quickly.

And using them is so much fun! A girl can't have too many styles!

If you have any further questions, let us know. We're here to help!

I use PSE10, but adding styles is similar in all versions:

Copy the ASL file and then paste it into the following file on your computer:

C:/Program Data/Adobe/PSE/9.0/Photo Creations/Layer Styles

Then you have to delete the MetaDataBase.DB3 file in Locale/en_us

Then start PSE up again and it will rebuild your data base file.

That should do it.

I used PSE9 and AOM. I want to make sure what I am reading in this thread is correct. If I use AOM to add styles, it automatically deletes the metadata base file? I don't have to do anything else?

Thanks,

So when I add Actions through AOM, I still have to go and delete the metadata base file right? Sometimes I get the styles and actions confused when it comes to the metadata base file. It has been my understanding that you can use AOM to install all the tools, and you don't have to do anything further except for either the style or action where you still have to go and delete the metadata base file. I always forget which one.

Thanks,

I am reading my notes and now see that you also have to add the previews of the Actions manually. I see in my notes that it says it does also create a metadata file but I don't have anything written down about having to delete that file.

I don't know off the top of my head how to do it. The one time I did the actions I found the notes in the free e-book and it worked. Can't remember how to do it. I always just add the styles and actions with AOM and just leave it at that. Lazy I know. I'll fix it when I upgrade again.

So when I add Actions through AOM, I still have to go and delete the metadata base file right? Sometimes I get the styles and actions confused when it comes to the metadata base file. It has been my understanding that you can use AOM to install all the tools, and you don't have to do anything further except for either the style or action where you still have to go and delete the metadata base file. I always forget which one.

Thanks,

I am reading my notes and now see that you also have to add the previews of the Actions manually. I see in my notes that it says it does also create a metadata file but I don't have anything written down about having to delete that file.

Hi Patty. You don't want to delete any metadata files. In PSE 9 after you have installed styles and/or actions (with or without Add-O-Matic) you need to delete the MediaDatabase.db3 which can be found here: C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0 > Locale > en_us. Also delete the ThumbDatabase.db3 file which can be found here: C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0. After installing my styles/actions I usually delete the MediDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3 at the same time then restart PSE to let the database rebuild. It may take a while to rebuild - mine usually takes about 20 minutes. After the database rebuilds, my styles and actions all show up in the palettes and I don't have to use 'show all' to find anything. HTH :)

Thanks,

Hi Patty. You don't want to delete any metadata files. In PSE 9 after you have installed styles and/or actions (with or without Add-O-Matic) you need to delete the MediaDatabase.db3 which can be found here: C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0 > Locale > en_us. Also delete the ThumbDatabase.db3 file which can be found here: C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0. After installing my styles/actions I usually delete the MediDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3 at the same time then restart PSE to let the database rebuild. It may take a while to rebuild - mine usually takes about 20 minutes. After the database rebuilds, my styles and actions all show up in the palettes and I don't have to use 'show all' to find anything. HTH :)

Theresa,

First I want you to know that I really appreciate all the help and information that you are always providing. I am just trying to make sense of notes that I had previously taken on the whole metadata .XML files and AOM topic. So I need to clarify one thing because my notes could possibly be incorrect. I use AOM to install all my tools. It will also install the previews of the styles but you must add the previews of the actions manually. Now my notes seem to say that you only need to go through the whole delete .db3 files for .ATN files. So would you please just reassure me that I also need to do this for all my styles also and not just actions. Thanks again so much.

Thanks,

Theresa,

First I want you to know that I really appreciate all the help and information that you are always providing. I am just trying to make sense of notes that I had previously taken on the whole metadata .XML files and AOM topic. So I need to clarify one thing because my notes could possibly be incorrect. I use AOM to install all my tools. It will also install the previews of the styles but you must add the previews of the actions manually. Now my notes seem to say that you only need to go through the whole delete .db3 files for .ATN files. So would you please just reassure me that I also need to do this for all my styles also and not just actions. Thanks again so much.

Hi Patty. First, the metadata and xml files topic has to do with categorizing styles. That's a whole different subject of its own.

You are right about AOM installing the previews of styles and you have to manually copy the previews for actions. At least that how it is with the version of AOM that I have.

After installing styles, delete the MediaDatabase.db3 and the ThumbDatabase.db3 files then re-start PSE and allow it to rebuild.

After installing actions, delete the MediaDatabase.db3 and the ThumbDatabase.db3 files then re-start PSE and allow it to rebuild.

This is what I do for all of my styles and actions and they all work perfectly, show up in the palettes and I don't have to use 'show all' to find anything. HTH :)

Okay, Great! You have explained it very clearly and I am feeling much better about it now because this is not what I originally had written down so I haven't been doing it correctly. I do however have my notes updated correctly now.

Thanks again Theresa :thankyou:

Okay, Great! You have explained it very clearly and I am feeling much better about it now because this is not what I originally had written down so I haven't been doing it correctly. I do however have my notes updated correctly now.

Thanks again Theresa :thankyou:

Glad I could help you Patty. Let us know if you have any problems with it. ;)

Help. I'm a total newbie to PSE7. I got the style for shadows for ATCs, but realized I have absolutely no idea how to do styles. Not even where to start. I got the style, now how do I get it into my program, then how to use it once it's there. Thanks

Bittyfeet

I just wanted to make sure that you had it all figured out BittyFeet???

I downloaded the free book from the website and am working my way through it. How do I find "AOM"? Oh yeah, I use PSE7, if that makes any difference.

Hi Bittyfeet. AOM = Add-O-Matic and you can find it HERE. The current version works with PSE versions 6-10.

I don't know off the top of my head how to do it. The one time I did the actions I found the notes in the free e-book and it worked. Can't remember how to do it. I always just add the styles and actions with AOM and just leave it at that. Lazy I know. I'll fix it when I upgrade again.

I do the same, Belle. I don't know the difference between Styles and Actions, anyhow. If they show up, sometimes I try them. I've never had much luck with them, though.

I am using PSE10 with windows7. How do I install my styles (alot of them purchased here at ScrapGirls)?

You can find the instructions here: Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook)

For PSE 10 on Windows 7 you will want to follow the instructions for PSE 9 on page 174 of the handbook. After installing the styles, you will need to delete the MediaDatabase.db3 (instructions on page 179 of the handbook) HTH

Archived