My Silly Olympic Memory

All of the exciting events today brought back an Olympic memory of mine.

I was in the 7th grade. In our Social Studies class we talked about the Olympics because they were coming up. My family didn't get/read a newspaper and we didn't watch t.v. (Yep...I was out of the loop. lol)

So...I wrote in my notes what the teacher wrote on the blackboard: "Olympics are being held in LA." And she said that several times. Later that week or the next that question appeared on a test.

The question: Where will the Olympics be held?

My answer: Louisiana!

:jawdrop:

I think I'm still a bit indignant about being marked wrong for that.

:giggle_bear:

Hey, how was I supposed to know she meant Los Angeles? She never said that.

LA is the postal abbreviation for Louisiana.

She didn't feel like that deserved any credit.

Hmph

:P

Anyone else with Olympic stories?

That is funny!!

I have an Olympic story, too. I was in the hospital, being induced with Brooke. I had the Olympics on the tv in the room, and between each contraction, everyone in the room turned to watch beach volleyball and completely ignored me! Brooke was born between serves!

That's really funny Charlene! You should have gotten credit for that one, for sure!!

My Olympic Memory was from 10th grade winter Olympics. I was in a Bible as Literature class and had a term paper due the first day back from Spring Break. Our family had driven to Florida for break to see my Grandparents and we drove straight through from Tampa to Detroit on the way home. On the way home I had started feeling yucky. By the time we had gotten home, I felt REALLY bad, but my mom was very unsympathetic as my term paper was not done. I was sent to my room to finish my paper.

Which I did, by the way.

The next morning, I woke up and told Mom that I didn't feel good - and she said "Don't worry honey - I already called school and you are excused" and then I discovered that I had the measles!! Therefore, and here is where the Olympics come in, I watched the winter Olympics that year from the comfort of my bed - in it's entirety! Oh, and that was the year Dorothy Hamill was skating - 1976!

That is funny!!

I have an Olympic story, too. I was in the hospital, being induced with Brooke. I had the Olympics on the tv in the room, and between each contraction, everyone in the room turned to watch beach volleyball and completely ignored me! Brooke was born between serves!

That's really cute, Carla!!

Here's my silly Olympic memory. It was the Calgary ones, I think 1988. I was on staff at a very conservative Bible college. I was housesitting for my boss and on a Saturday, it was deemed too cold for the female students to do their standard required outreach in Chicago, so I invited a few of the students over his house and we watched the opening ceremonies that I taped the night before. (No TVs on campus so that was a big treat).

Dang if they all didn't get a ton of demerits, causing my sister to be campused (couldn't leave campus or date for 2 weeks)! Apparently there was a rule that said if you couldn't do ministry b/c of the cold, you weren't allowed to go off campus (did i mention they were a little uptight & strict?) Being on staff, I was totally unaware of that rule (there were new ones regularly). I had to go to the Demerit Counselor and beg and plead for them to get their demerits taken off - LOL!

Dianne, I didn't realize you were such a trouble maker. :giggle_bear:

(I take it that your begging and pleading worked? I hope so!)

When I was growing up we watched the first televised winter Olympics (I think in Squaw Valley.) We spent all available time watching all the events, but the thing that stuck with us all was the Renault Dauphine commercial. A man would drive it to the top of a snowy mountain, jump out, the signature "toot, toot - toot, toot" of the horn would sound and the man would say, "Renault Dauphine." To this day my family imitates this when we have done something breathtaking - literally, like running, climbing stairs, etc. Can't beat the LA or birthing story, but this has been a memory that has certainly lasted.

Bet, those kind of memories - the ones you repeatedly quote with the family - are so fun!

Char, I am not really a troublemaker! And yes, my pleading worked - haha.

Bet, those kind of memories - the ones you repeatedly quote with the family - are so fun!

I agree...those family jokes are great!

Dianne, I'm just teasing you. :happy038:

Oh Diane, I grew up as the preacher's granddaughter and the deacon's daughter. I know how little it took to become a "rebel." seems you turned out ok in spite of your leading those poor students astray - lol

When I think about the summer games of 1996, I think about oatmeal cookies and Nestle's Quik! I was on semi bed rest with my Sarah (who was determined to drive my blood pressure through the roof and wasn't supposed to be born until late September) and had horrible heartburn. Every evening we would watch the games and I would indulge in a big glass of chocolate milk (it calmed the heartburn, you know ;)) and a couple of cookies. She made her entrance on August 1st. :D

My husband and I had a camping trip in Montana with my parents scheduled during the Olympics eight years ago. Our first night out it poured and poured rain. The next morning nobody really wanted to admit how miserable we were (after looking forward to the trip for months) but we started talking about packing it in and going to a hotel. Nobody was willing to make a decision so we held a secret vote where everyone was given a white rock (for leaving) and a black rock (for staying) and secretly put them into a hat. The vote ending up being four votes for leaving - which was so funny after everyone was so unwilling to say it out loud. Anyway, we ended up in a hotel in Red Lodge for 5 nights and spend every one of them watching the Olympics together and ended up having a great time anyway.

I love everyone else's stories too! :)

Becky, it's funny how associations stick with us. Olympics and oatmeal cookies and Nestle's Quik! lol Now that's an interesting combination. :giggle_bear:

Debbie...too funny that everyone wanted to leave but nobody wanted to say it.

That poster of Mark Spitz was very popular. I was a freshman in college that fall, and it was all over the dorms. That was the Munich Olympics. I'll never forget the horror when the Israeli athletes were massacred.

Here's my silly Olympic memory. It was the Calgary ones, I think 1988. I was on staff at a very conservative Bible college. I was housesitting for my boss and on a Saturday, it was deemed too cold for the female students to do their standard required outreach in Chicago, so I invited a few of the students over his house and we watched the opening ceremonies that I taped the night before. (No TVs on campus so that was a big treat).

Dang if they all didn't get a ton of demerits, causing my sister to be campused (couldn't leave campus or date for 2 weeks)! Apparently there was a rule that said if you couldn't do ministry b/c of the cold, you weren't allowed to go off campus (did i mention they were a little uptight & strict?) Being on staff, I was totally unaware of that rule (there were new ones regularly). I had to go to the Demerit Counselor and beg and plead for them to get their demerits taken off - LOL!

What a great story...DH and I met at a similar kind of place in Ky. It has loosened up on some things (not doctrine though)- so I can imagine what that was like. At least you didn't get caught dancing like I did! rofl!!Smileysmackforehead-2.gif

Archived