I Need Some Wacom Advice Please

Sara Arell

My Christopher has expressed an interest in drawing on a tablet! I am elated that he is branching out from paper to computer and I want to buy a Wacom Tablet - a family Wacom - so he can try his hand at it.

He is very talented and quite the artist - his drawings are very detailed and I don't know where to start with the Wacom.

Anyone have any suggestions for the best tablet I should buy?

I have a small Bamboo Fun & Touch. It fits on my desk easily, is portable when I travel (I no longer use my mouse) and works great for all of the tasks I need to do (design and non-design). The switch from a mouse to a pen can be a challenge, but if you use your pen tablet for a few days (unhook the mouse!!!) it becomes very easy and natural.

There are bigger tablets than mine and ones with more features and bells and whistles, but this one works great for me. I use it to navigate, paint/draw in various programs and arrange LOs.

I hope you find one that fits your family's needs. (But, truly, if you get one -- hide that mouse and force yourself to acclimate to your pen.)

:)

I would suggest the Bamboo Splash. It retails for about $79 and should be just the thing for paper-to-digital art beginners. There are other models above the Splash that would be good for those with intermediate ability. Either way, I'd stick with the Bamboo line vs. the Intuos or Cintiq which are quite pricey and have bells & whistles which most likely wouldn't be used by kids and adolescents who are just starting out. ;) Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ditto everyone above. I have a Bamboo Pen and Touch which is a little bigger than the Fun. I've found that the touch part is more of a nuisance and would recommend a model without it.

I would suggest the Bamboo Splash. It retails for about $79 and should be just the thing for paper-to-digital art beginners. There are other models above the Splash that would be good for those with intermediate ability. Either way, I'd stick with the Bamboo line vs. the Intuos or Cintiq which are quite pricey and have bells & whistles which most likely wouldn't be used by kids and adolescents who are just starting out. ;) Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks, Katherine - after doing some research after reading these posts, I think you are right recommending the Splash - think I'm going to go for that one.

I am sure Chris can do wonderful things with this........I really appreciate your help!

That is an awesome gift for your son, he is a lucky one!

I watched several YouTube videos last night using the tablet and I think it is going to be sooooo perfect for him! I'm a little worried about him printing out everything he draws a million times to check it before it's done! LOL Guess my ink costs will go up too!

• 3 months later...

Archived