Photo Paper

ChristineK

Hope it is ok to ask several question at one since it is the same topic. What kind of paper do you use to print out your photo greeting cards. Would you use the same paper for the envelopes also? I did a test print on the double sited, matte finish HP photo-quality inkjet paper. For me it is way to thin, maybe better used for brochures or flyers.

Also, what does "inking the edges" of the card after trimming mean. What do I look for to buy?

Thanks everyone who can help.

Hi Christine! Welcome to Scrap Girls! To answer your questions (although I'm sure some of the hybrid girls will be along with a much better idea), I like to use cardstock (110 lb paper). That may be a little too heavy for envelopes though. I tend to use pre-made ones. As for inking the edges after you trim, that refers to literally taking an ink pad and dabbing the edges of the paper.

I use the staples photo matte supreme for printing my cards. It is a 61 lb cardstock that you can print on both sides of. I would do envelopes out of a lighter weight paper.

For inking edges of printed cards, I use Tim Holtz distress inks. I also have an ample supple of other ink pads from when stamped card making was my crafty focus. I don't usually drag my card on the ink pad, I use a inking sponge, dab that on my ink pad and then use it to ink the edge. I think that way gives me more control over the finished look.

Like April, I use the Staples brand photo supreme matte finish photo paper for cards and I use a multi-purpose printer paper for envelopes. Monica and April gave you great advice about inking edges. :)

Oooh April, great tip on the inking sponge. I am often unhappy with the results of using the ink pad alone on the card edges. Thanks!!

Archived