Suddenly, Text Letters Overlapping, Too Close Together

scrap_horse

OMGosh, I'm hoping someone can help me. Suddenly, whenever I type text in PSE5, no matter if it's a brand new text layer or even in new files, the letters are all smashed together. Overlapping, if the font fits tightly to begin with. Like the kerning is messed up. But I can't figure out where to fix it! It may be something PSE-specific, or maybe it happened somewhere more general on my computer? I have nooo idea. (it's our old Windows XP computer.)

That happened to me in PSE 9, too. If I recall correctly I had to re-set the Text tool. Let me go see how to do it, and I'll reply again.

Here it is, I saved this from another site the last time it happened to me!

"Select the Text tool, and on the left side of the option bar (up there under the menu items) you'll see a T with a little down facing arrow (that's assuming PSE 8, if you have a different version, there will be now little arrow, just click on the T) click on it and choose "Reset Tool." Then start typing and see if it does better. You'll probably have to erase your old text boxes and redo them."

That happened to me in PSE 9, too. If I recall correctly I had to re-set the Text tool. Let me go see how to do it, and I'll reply again.

Here it is, I saved this from another site the last time it happened to me!

"Select the Text tool, and on the left side of the option bar (up there under the menu items) you'll see a T with a little down facing arrow (that's assuming PSE 8, if you have a different version, there will be now little arrow, just click on the T) click on it and choose "Reset Tool." Then start typing and see if it does better. You'll probably have to erase your old text boxes and redo them."

Oh THANK YOU so much!!! That fixed it. No idea how it happened to begin with, and when I searched the internet, I didn't readily see anything helpful. I always get the best help on SG forums! You're a life saver! Or at least a sanity saver! :) yay!

• 3 years later...

I am so grateful I found this thread! FOUR years later and still very relevant. I have PSE11 and suddenly (what did I do??!!) my font spacing is spread apart. My fancy fonts (Magnolia Sky, Bromello, etc.) no longer connect. Basic fonts like Arial and Times New Roman have far too much space between each letter. The Kerning is off. Searching the internet (usually a treasure-trove of info!) had nothing useful on this topic.

In PSE11, I selected the T (text tool) on the left. Then clicked on the down arrow that is next to the 4 small lines over to the upper right in the tool options window. This gave me a drop down where I could select RESET TOOL. It worked! Thank you!!!

Archived