Photo Books

I find it easy just to upload layouts as pages! But, some companies print close to the edge or sometimes enlarge very slightly so you need to be sure you don't put anything important there so it doesn't get lost in the printing.

Someone else might have a more specific idea about this, but I've always loved my books when they are finished.

Good luck, Hilary. :)

No fear, Hilary! :) Companies have pretty clear directions about making the books. Like Marilyn, I just upload each layout as a single jpeg. Since edges seem to get cut off, I make sure there isn't anything important near any of the four sides of the layout. If there is, I'd advise adjusting the layout slightly before uploading. Good luck! And let us know how it turns out.

Some companies include templates, or instructions, to help figure out where the cutting edge will be and how much "empty" space to leave. Check for those features when choosing a printer to use. I had good results with Blurb and MyPictales - but then, I've only had two books printed.

The two UK companies i have used have both trimmed the layouts. So long as there is nothing of importance close to the edge you should be fine. Both were excellent quality.

We used Snapfish for a very basic photo book when Jamie was first born but I wasn't very impressed with the quality/durability of the final product. I then used Pixum for a calendar, but again wasn't impressed with the quality and they chopped the edges off. Last year I used Jessops (online) for our annual calendar and uploaded full layouts as single jpegs. The quality was very good, but beware you have to adjust the brightness of your final jpegs because they print fairly dark. I adjusted my images in their software once I'd uploaded them, but I think if I did it again I'd do the adjusting in photoshop before hand. Good luck - let us know how it goes as I'll have to get a photo book done at some point in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak for Shutterfly, since that's the only company I've used. The quality is ok, but I'm planning on upgrading this year. I used their software to build the book (not wanting to spend money on software at the time), but they do allow for a full page picture, and those printed perfectly. So I imagine if you uploaded your pages as jpegs, it would work. However, their quality isn't what I'm looking for anymore. I found a couple of blogs on the quality of printers. I'm not sure if this will help, but for what it's worth:

https://thedailydigi.com/12-different-photobook-printer-reviews

and

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/5/1/15.

Both were really helpful, but neither really made me feel certain of who to go with. I was going to post this question, too!

JT

I can only speak for Shutterfly... they do allow for a full page picture, and those printed perfectly. So I imagine if you uploaded your pages as jpegs, it would work.

With pages that show text and photos, you ALWAYS have to adjust for the trimming and binding necessary for book-making. Words right at the edge of the page will be cut off - it's just how the service ensures no white margin... they chop it off about 2mm into the picture.

When the pages are bound, anything on the bound edge is impossible to see unless you break the binding and no one wants that!

So it's safer to just move everything in towards the center to avoid being lost in the binding or the trimming. A 4mm safety zone should suffice.

I make an annual book of layouts featuring our family, friends, pets and travels. I have used Blurb for 4 annual books and have been very happy with the end product. I like that Blurb allows 440 pages in a book, which is really nice when I have lots of layouts of our trips during the course of a year. To make sure I don't lose anything important to the trimming process, I put a ruler line 3/8 inches from the edges.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of trying Blurb for my next book. Barb, did they print your colors true to your layouts?

I've used Shutterfly before (my Homecoming book that is in my gallery), and it came back really DARK. When I called customer service, the girl kept trying to tell me my photographs were too dark, and I couldn't seem to make her understand that no, the whole page for each layout was dark (my scrapbook papers, etc.) I wound up having to go back through all my jpegs for the layouts and lighten the whole page for each one, and then I reuploaded them and printed the book again, and it was okay. But that's a lot of trouble and expense that I won't be doing again. We work too hard on our layouts!

Having said that, I did make a previous book with Shutterfly and used one of their templates and uploaded photos to it, and it printed pretty true to color, no problem. I also made one with Snapfish with their template, plus a little bound 4x6 photo book. I used to have Snapfish print my photos years ago and was very pleased with them, but my little book projects not so much. The photos in the little 4x6 book were too dark, and the bigger book were just not clear and sharp.

• 1 month later...

I have just started working on layouts for a photobook for my nieces wedding. I am using Brandy Murray's Classic Templates which have two page layouts already set up for you. Some of the pictures are going to cross over both pages - which is what I want to highlight the photos. Barb (THANKS!) suggested that I watch what part of the pictures will be in the center of the book as I will loss something in the binding. Any other suggestions for printing? Easier to make the adjustments as I create rather than later :) when I need to print.

Diane, (Florida Granny) has made books so she knows some of this.

I'm interested in how you used these templates, Karen. I have and started to use them but was disappointed the two pages were made together into one 24x12" template. Don't know how they can be uploaded to any site that way, so I ended up going through each one and cropping each Template double page (left and right) into two separate pages. How did you deal with that - it just occurs to me that I could have created the two pager, then cut the completed two page jpeg into two separate pages? Problem is, I thought I might want to use a page on its own without the accompanying one. Any suggestions? :)

PS I just smile everytime I see your little witch!

I'm interested in how you used these templates, Karen. I have and started to use them but was disappointed the two pages were made together into one 24x12" template. Don't know how they can be uploaded to any site that way, so I ended up going through each one and cropping each Template double page (left and right) into two separate pages. How did you deal with that - it just occurs to me that I could have created the two pager, then cut the completed two page jpeg into two separate pages? Problem is, I thought I might want to use a page on its own without the accompanying one. Any suggestions? :)

Soon I will have to do something with my little witch. Maybe I will dress her for Thanksgiving :).

For this particular photobook I am trying really hard to keep the photos as the star of the album. The templates are helping me..... Whether it is digital, paper or hybrid I am the queen of layers, textures, etc. For this book the photos (which I did NOT take) are beautiful..... and so is my niece (yes I am biased) so I am REALLY trying to keep things clean and "simple".

I liked that I could create a two page layout with everything truly side by side. I was thinking that maybe in the future I could create a 12x24 document and set up something similar with other templates. On the negative side, however, you do have the problem you ran into with what if you want to mix and match the templates yourself or use them as stand alone pages. The only way I know to accomplish that is to do what you did :). I am guessing I will need to do that as I progress on these layouts.

I have only really started thinking about printing but I was thinking I would have to save them to a jpeg file and cut them in half for uploading to a photobook site. It will be fun and helpful to "talk" about this :).

Soon I will have to do something with my little witch. Maybe I will dress her for Thanksgiving :).

For this particular photobook I am trying really hard to keep the photos as the star of the album. The templates are helping me..... Whether it is digital, paper or hybrid I am the queen of layers, textures, etc. For this book the photos (which I did NOT take) are beautiful..... and so is my niece (yes I am biased) so I am REALLY trying to keep things clean and "simple".

I liked that I could create a two page layout with everything truly side by side. I was thinking that maybe in the future I could create a 12x24 document and set up something similar with other templates. On the negative side, however, you do have the problem you ran into with what if you want to mix and match the templates yourself or use them as stand alone pages. The only way I know to accomplish that is to do what you did :). I am guessing I will need to do that as I progress on these layouts.

I have only really started thinking about printing but I was thinking I would have to save them to a jpeg file and cut them in half for uploading to a photobook site. It will be fun and helpful to "talk" about this :).

Ohhhh... Ok! All you wrote makes sense, Karen thank you! I did catch one double layout of your niece - and gorgeous she is for sure. :)

Can't wait to see more pages.

You gave me lots to think about, I appreciate that. And, yes! Would love to see that little witch make the Halloween cut. :)

Hi, Karen

I just received the photo books I made of my summer trip - four copies. I created the facing pages together, but on separate 12 x 12 templates (which were resized later), so I had a 12 x 24 workspace. Of course, it's possible to create in one large space and then crop into two pages.

The printing company I used, My PicTales, does have the option to upload a two-page spread, and provides templates so you can see what space is "safe" and what will be trimmed. I didn't use this option, but it's available. I did find the uploading process to be a bit frustrating at times, but it worked, eventually, and the printed books were just fine. Hope this helps.

I don't remember that flat book was an option on Shutterfly the last time I did a book. I might not have noticed though. That is great Marilyn. I had a free 8x8 photo book offer in my email last night from them :).

I'm pretty positive it was an option, I didn't think about what it was or why you'd want it but after keeping up with this thread I can see why! Yes, my friend got the free 8x8 offer and we made a book of her son's wedding for his grandma's birthday. You might have to pay a bit more for the flat book - we did for a "themed" one without even realizing but it still was a good deal. :)

Archived