Pse 12/organizer Vs Ps/lightroom 5 Vs Ps/bridge?

sjrowe

I have used PS Elements for years, but for a long time now, it has bogged down my computer so that just clicking on something would produce the spinning wheel of death for several minutes. (I have macbook pro.) My son showed me how to use the spotlight (at the top of the screen on the taskbar) to turn off some Adobe programs that ran in the background, which helped immensely. But not enough. So I subscribed to the Adobe photography program to see if PS and Lightroom would have the same effect. I find that I can have them on for hours without any slowing down at all! However, lightroom is wonderful for editing and cataloging photos, but not digital supplies. So now I'm thinking that maybe I can use Bridge for the supplies, Lightroom for the photos and PS for the designing? I just think it's more than I want to spend time on. Any suggestions? Maybe just Bridge and PS? I liked Elements, but I don't want to waaaait for it to work.

I have used PS Elements for years, but for a long time now, it has bogged down my computer so that just clicking on something would produce the spinning wheel of death for several minutes.

If this was normal for this program, no one would use it. Perhaps your installation has corrupted. Suggestion: uninstall PSE, run cleanup utilities, reinstall PSE.

Hi Sylvia! Uninstalling and reinstalling is a good idea. This can fix a lot of quirks. (Though, I really do love the full PS version and I actually find it easier to use than PSE).

If you take a lot of photographs and really want to spend lots of time doing very specific fine-tuning and perfecting, then Lightroom is definitely the way to go. However, if you just want to do some general editing -- change the tone, boost the contrast, convert to B&W, adjust sharpness and things like that, you can do that easily in Photoshop (and probably PSE -- the newer versions are really powerful). I have used PS since PS7, upgrading every other version to PSCC and I have never used Bridge for organizing my supplies. I create folders for organizing and have my own system of finding things. (ScrapGirls products are awesome because each item is named with a specific descriptor (Paper_Floral-Blue, or EMB_Button-Black) , so you can easily use the Windows search feature to find products.)

However, if you want a software system of organization, I have heard really good things about ACDSee. It is a program where you give tags to items and then build a searchable database based on your personal organizing style. So, if you have a 4th of July-themed paper with red, white, and blue stars on it, you could give it a tag of "paper, 4th of July, stars, red, white, blue" and anytime you search for any of those keywords, your paper will come up and you can easily pull it into your program. It is very versatile and, as I said, you can use any tag or identifier you choose. It is very time-consuming to tag everything, but once you go through your supplies (and if you keep up with it for new photos and supplies), you will be able to find things fast. You can use ACDSee for PNG and JPG files -- so it can handle your supplies and your photos; not sure about other formats (like brushes, shapes or PSD files).

I am sure a Bridge user will be along soon to give you more info on that -- good luck! :)

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll try the uninstall and reinstall idea. That sounds like what I should do. I'm thinking that I'd like to stick with Elements although i really do like playing with Lightroom. Oh sigh. Thanks again!

Hi Sylvia, for organizing supplies, you may want to think about Picasa. It's a wonderful program and it's free. I particularly like it because there is no need to tag anything, and it's soooo easy to find anything I'm looking for. Here's a great article by Amy Flanagan: Using Picasa to Organize Your Scrap Supplies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I use Organizer and always have! I bring in the collection, stack it with the marketing image on top then add a few keywords in the keyword box eg SG, grungy, arty, artsy, paint... That is enough usually :-)

I have never used the others as Organiser does what I need :-)

Archived